Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

xmas markets

Comments

• Options

We are off to Bruges in December to take on their Christmas market. We are staying for three nights and from the research I have done, eating out seems mega expensive.

+1 for Bruges, we have been a couple of times for the Christmas Markets and it never disappointed.
    We were not disappointed either. Bruges is expensive, but a beautiful place. Loads of beer choices too and I settled on Duvel and Jupiler. I also tried some Cherry beer too which was really nice.

However, the area immediately outside of Brussells Midi station was awful. We had three hours to kill before going on to Bruges and we spent 20 minutes walking around outside. The rest of the time we spent INSIDE the station looking around the shops.

• Options
    We are going to Brussels - but I think when I suggested it to the wife I was thinking of Bruges. I think Brussels does have a Christmas market though - at least hoping it does!

We have done Arras a couple of times and it is a beautiful market in a beautiful town. 2 hours is probably enough though! Although it does have an ice rink.
  • Options
    Lincoln has a great Christmas market in the lee of the Cathedral. Alas it's already been and gone
  • Options

We are going to Brussels - but I think when I suggested it to the wife I was thinking of Bruges. I think Brussels does have a Christmas market though - at least hoping it does!

We have done Arras a couple of times and it is a beautiful market in a beautiful town. 2 hours is probably enough though! Although it does have an ice rink.

It has more than one, and they are very good, but they are not that close to the railway station. Metro is easy to use, though.

• Options
    Off to Trier in Germany for their xmas market tomorrow. Trier is the oldest City in Germany with a 'Porta Negra' dating from circa 200 AD.
    Been given an upgrade on my car hire, so going to try out the Autobahns with no speed limit !
  • Options

Off to Trier in Germany for their xmas market tomorrow. Trier is the oldest City in Germany with a 'Porta Negra' dating from circa 200 AD.
    Been given an upgrade on my car hire, so going to try out the Autobahns with no speed limit !

Been to Trier smashing city.
    Enjoy
  • Options

Careful! You will be surprised how much of the Autobahnen now have speed restrictions. And they are very tough on offenders. I got done for €50 and I simply hadn't noticed the limit. They sent the penalty notice to my office in Prague, so they have no problem with cross-border co-operation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Careful! You will be surprised how much of the Autobahnen now have speed restrictions. And they are very tough on offenders. I got done for €50 and I simply hadn't noticed the limit. They sent the penalty notice to my office in Prague, so they have no problem with cross-border co-operation.
    The one from Lux to Trier is restriction free.
    I agree with the x border thing a friend
    Got a ticket from Germany sent to him. In Blackheath.
  • Options
    Went to Munich a few years ago. They were everywhere and excellent. They also host a medieval Christmas market which was a lot of fun.

We then also traveled into Salzburg and the markers there were stunning though not as plentiful.
  • Options
    Winchester was very good, nice vibe about it too
  • Options
    Is there one at Sint-Truiden ?
  • Options
    Used to go to the one in Frankfurt every year in Romerberg ... well worth visiting.
  • Options

Lincoln has a great Christmas market in the lee of the Cathedral. Alas it's already been and gone

Most locals don’t bother with it......poor choice of stalls.....too many doing the same thing with little variety.
    Ok if you want food but actual gift stalls are few and far between.
    Love to recommend it but sorry to say I can’t.
    Nice setting and atmosphere but for actual Christmas shopping it’s a no no.

• Options
    stonemuse said:

Used to go to the one in Frankfurt every year in Romerberg ... well worth visiting.

Went there myself when working out there, really enjoyed it (went via Dr Mullers naturally!)
  • Options

Been to Trier smashing city.
    Enjoy
    Trier was fabulous , highly recommended.

• Options

It has more than one, and they are very good, but they are not that close to the railway station. Metro is easy to use, though.

You couldn't tell me where they are could you. I think the hotel we have booked is near one, but would be good to know where they are? Thanks Prague.
  • Options
    Went down Leeds castle today walked around the castle and had a brief look around the market picked up some chutneys and spicy sauces that will be used up over the Xmas period
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lived in Germany for 5 years and they are the masters of the 'Weihnachtsmarkt' or 'Christkindlmarkt' in my opinion.

However, did Vienna 2 years ago and the main Christmas markets there are pretty special. Also jumped on the train to Salzburg for the day and again, another beautiful place at Christmas, but the main market is quite small.

Germany all day long for me though.
  • Options

Lived in Germany for 5 years and they are the masters of the 'Weihnachtsmarkt' or 'Christkindlmarkt' in my opinion.

However, did Vienna 2 years ago and the main Christmas markets there are pretty special. Also jumped on the train to Salzburg for the day and again, another beautiful place at Christmas, but the main market is quite small.

Germany all day long for me though.

To be fair your not the first person to prefer Germany over Austria ;)
  • Options

You couldn't tell me where they are could you. I think the hotel we have booked is near one, but would be good to know where they are? Thanks Prague.
    Here you go, mate. The photo on the right on the page that will open up, is the one we went to, but I am not sure what the name of the vast street is. What's good is that the permanent shops in that street are full of good stuff to take home, notably the incomparable chocolates.

• Options
    The one in Bromley is pleasant.
  • Options
    Was away in Munich last week on business and pleasure. Great city markets ok.... Also visited Salzburg, old town and Mozarts birthplace are superb. Most German cities have some market stalls.
  • Options
    After going to Bruges a few weeks ago, we are now looking at going to Zagreb for their Christmas Market. Anyone been?
  • Options

After going to Bruges a few weeks ago, we are now looking at going to Zagreb for their Christmas Market. Anyone been?

I guess your a bit late for the Christmas market but spent some time in Zagreb and can recommend a visit.
    Smashing city.

• Options

Are you not a bit late now?
    For next December? No
  • Options
    I would highly recommend Gengenbach in the Black Forest where I spent Xmas this year. Not at all tacky like the larger markets, in an area that produces wine, beer, schnapps and liquors - Baden red is usually Pinot Noir and Euro for Euro is more reliable and better than the stuff from Burgundy, and the largest advent calendar in the World!.