Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

spurs in for bent

edited June 2007 in Rumours
ssn says an undisclosed bid for dazza has been made.

Comments

• Options
    this could get interesting, and possibly not in a good way.

Spurs interest before was at a much lower price level. I suspect they can't / won't match the transfer fee or wages offered by Wham, but are playing on the hope that they are Bent's preffered choice and will try and push a deal through with them.
  • Options
    Please don't sell him to them. I could (just) handle him going to the cheats but not there.
  • Options
    i think you're right afka, this is a bad development, but i just hope we hold on to him rather than undersell him to spurs.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]this could get interesting, and possibly not in a good way.

Spurs interest before was at a much lower price level. I suspect they can't / won't match the transfer fee or wages offered by Wham, but are playing on the hope that they are Bent's preffered choice and will try and push a deal through with them.

I think Charlton have decided on the price that they want for him and unless Spurs match that asking price, I don't think Charlton will give Bent permission to speak with them. His agent has probably spoken with with Spurs 'informally' but if they're only offering £35k per and WHU are offering £75k, the agent is going to nudge him towards the East End, surely?
  • Options
    Besides, Bent's an Arsenal fan . I'd be suprised if he especially wanted to go to Spurs anyway!
  • Options
    I don't have problem with him going to Spurs over West Ham.

If he goes to WH he'll play every week - if he goes to spurs he could end up being the new Defoe and sit on the bench watching Keane and Berbatov play each week. We then get promoted and buy him back at a cheaper price as he wants first team football again.

Or am I just clutching at straws?
  • Options
    Clutching at straws old boy
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Ok peeps. Dont shoot the messenger.

Spurs have allegedly bid £12.5m cash and one fringe player permanent and one fringe player loan for one year.
    Fringe players touted being Gardener, Mido, Ghaly, Murphy, Routledge and Barnard.

Offering Bent £55k a week, to match top earners in Keane and King.

Thats what I've heard from 3 different sources this morning.

[quote][cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]this could get interesting, and possibly not in a good way.

Spurs interest before was at a much lower price level. I suspect they can't / won't match the transfer fee or wages offered by Wham, but are playing on the hope that they are Bent's preffered choice and will try and push a deal through with them.[/quote]

If Bent has got any ambition, he'll make the obvious choice for Spurs over West Ham purely to further his footballing career. Otherwise, if he chooses West Ham, its pretty obvious he's just after the money (a la Lucas Neill choosing West Ham over Liverpool!)
  • Options
    out of the fringe players i would have Gardner or Routledge. Mido/Ghaly would not have it. Murphy. Ha. Whos Bernard?

Messenger - i'm shooting you
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Whos Bernard?[/quote]

He was top scorer in our reserves the season before last but had a number of injuries that held him back last year. Jol and Allen have been talking about him stepping up into the 1st team this year, presumably when Mido departs for pastures new.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK
    If Bent has got any ambition, he'll make the obvious choice for Spurs over West Ham purely to further his footballing career. Otherwise, if he chooses West Ham, its pretty obvious he's just after the money (a la Lucas Neill choosing West Ham over Liverpool!)

what's ambitious about going to a club that doesn't want to match or cant afford what's been put on the table elsewhere ?
  • Options
    Yeah i wouldnt want us to get Routledge, so over-rated imo. and ex-palace.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]
    what's ambitious about going to a club that doesn't want to match or cant afford what's been put on the table elsewhere ?[/quote]

Assuming that both bids were accepted of course, which may not even happen.
  • Options
    johnboy, i can understand why bent would take liverpool over west ham but why wouldn't he go to west ham over spurs. west ham are building a high quality team and are willing to spend the money to assemble a top squad that should challenge for europe. west ham also seem to be beyond 'talking big and acting small', by putting their money where their mouth is, rather than just getting linked with top players to appease fans before ultimately losing out to other clubs. i don't like west ham but i've got more time for them than spurs,who seem to think they should be winning the league every year, when the reality is that there only hope of CL is arsenal's continuing demise.
  • Options
    If you drew a Venn Diagram of the players in that list we wanted and the ones who would be willing to come to us, the middle would be empty.

I agree that Spurs are a bigger club, but he may be worried about the lack of football Defoe got last season and that maybe a bigger factor than wages.

Liverpool may yet show an interest and not only are they bigger still but he would be more likely to play regular football for them.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]Ok peeps. Dont shoot the messenger.
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]this could get interesting, and possibly not in a good way.

what like Defoe you mean