Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Tours 2018-19 (and everything off the field during that period)

Comments

• Options
    Riviera said:

I've got tickets for the 1st day of The Ashes at Edgbaston. Will get Lords and Oval through my contacts. Carrying on my run of attending at least one day of every home Ashes series for 46 years. The last series I missed was 1968.

Impressive! I'm off to day 3 (Saturday) at Edgbaston. It wouldn't surprise me if ticket are available on general sale for Headingley and Old Trafford, they rarely sell out every day
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Pedro45 said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

When was the last time 4 English spinners each took a wicket in an Innings?

I think we need Andrew Samson for that one.
    And he delivered:

Andrew Samson

@AWSStats
    2h2 hours ago
    More
    The last time 4 spinners took a wicket in a Test innings for England before today was v India at Madras in 1962 (Lock, Allen, Parfitt & Barber)
    There is another possibility going around:

England v West Indies 1976 at The Oval
    Underwood, Miller, Balderstone and Tony Grieg who sometimes bowled Off-spinners. He famously did this at Port of Spain in 1973/4 when he opened the bowling with his medium pace and then switched to off spin later. He took 13 wickets in the match. I remember the match at the Oval in 1976 as well as can be expected for such a long time ago but don't recall Greig bowling anything but his normal style.
    No surprise there - Viv Richards scored 291, so anyone who could turn their arm over did in that game! 9 bowlers, including Willey and Steele, both spinners without a wicket. In PoS, Grieg bowled off-cutters, not spin.
    Well I wasn't there but have heard the story many times on TMS and it was always said he bowled off-spin. The indisputable Wikipedia agrees as does Cricinfo and The Guardian in his obituary.
  • Options

Got confirmation that I've been successful in the Surrey ballot for next summer's England matches which is good news!

Thought you were a Kent fan ??!!

How did you do for the ballot for the Canterbury test matche(s) ?
    ha ha, sadly I have to frequent The Oval to watch England internationals. It pains me that every beer I buy is helping Surrey poach yet another bowler from another county!
    So, as a Surrey fan, i was unsuccessful in the ballot.
    Do you think that is right?

However, i was successful for the Canterbury Test match.
    Are you 61?
  • Options

Riviera said:

I've got tickets for the 1st day of The Ashes at Edgbaston. Will get Lords and Oval through my contacts. Carrying on my run of attending at least one day of every home Ashes series for 46 years. The last series I missed was 1968.

Impressive! I'm off to day 3 (Saturday) at Edgbaston. It wouldn't surprise me if ticket are available on general sale for Headingley and Old Trafford, they rarely sell out every day
    You can always easily get tickets for any Ashes Test apart from Lords and Oval.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

You can always easily get tickets for any Ashes Test apart from Lords and Oval.
    Yes, it always amuses me when you hear people complaining about there being too many Tests in London, when the Tests outside London attract far fewer people. I've been to Edgbaston a few times, and there are always plenty of people coming up from London
  • Options
    Lords sells out the first 3 days for Bangladesh or Zimbabwe and last summer there were 20,000 unsold tickets for the first two days at Edgbaston v India.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Got confirmation that I've been successful in the Surrey ballot for next summer's England matches which is good news!

Thought you were a Kent fan ??!!

How did you do for the ballot for the Canterbury test matche(s) ?
    ha ha, sadly I have to frequent The Oval to watch England internationals. It pains me that every beer I buy is helping Surrey poach yet another bowler from another county!
    So, as a Surrey fan, i was unsuccessful in the ballot.
    Do you think that is right?

However, i was successful for the Canterbury Test match.
    Are you 61?
    Ask Andrew Samson
  • Options
    England 109-3.

Leach out for 1 (FOW 4-1)
    Jennings out for 26 (FOW 77-2)
    Burns out for 59 (FOW 108-3)

Root came out to bat ahead of Stokes in this innings.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Oops curse struck... 109-4.

Stokes our for a second ball duck.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    131-4 at lunch so 85 ahead.

All four out to the sweep in some shape or form. Both sides have lost their reviews too.
  • Options
    England banned their players from sweeping in India 1981/2
  • Options
    Yet another batting failure for Stokes.....Mmmmm.
  • Options
    Buttler out to the reverse sweep

183-5 and a lead of 137
  • Options

Buttler out to the reverse sweep

183-5 and a lead of 137

Ideally need another hundred.
  • Options
    Moeen slog sweeps his second ball for a maximum!
  • Options
    It's nice when Joe Root reminds you why people spoke of the 'big four batsmen'
  • Options
    218-5

Lead of 172

Root 76* (86)
    Moeen 10* (12)
  • Options
    Leuth said:

It's nice when Joe Root reminds you why people spoke of the 'big four batsmen'

Burns
    Foakes
    Curren
    Root.
  • Options
    Moeen out sweeping making it 6/6 playing the shot

219-6
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And Moeen wouldn't have been out had Stokes and Burns not used the reviews up unnecessarily
  • Options
    Be interesting if SL lose by 5 runs or less.
  • Options
    259-6 at tea so leading by 213

Great innings by Root with 98* (118) and hope that the break doesn't break his concentration. Foakes supporting well with 19* (44)
  • Options
    Never lost a test when Root has scored a ton.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Never lost a test when Root has scored a ton.

Well he has converted so here's hoping!
  • Options
    Root (113*) now has the highest score by an England captain in SL. Ian Ward took great pleasure in pointing out that Nasser was the previous holder of that with 109.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I've watched hardly any of the Test, but Foakes must be impressing? - certainly SL must be sick of the sight of him.
    What was the general concensus of Burns innings today?
  • Options

I've watched hardly any of the Test, but Foakes must be impressing?
    What was the general concensus of Burns innings today?

Foakes is here to stay. Great temperament that comes from his keeping which is a pressure situation in itself. Burns batted well and deserves a decent run in the side.

The real acid test will come when they both encounter pace at this level. We now know, for example, that Jennings can play spin but there is also a big suspicion that he will get found out when he faces the quickies again.
  • Options
    296-6 and a lead of 250