Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Tours 2018-19 (and everything off the field during that period)

Comments

• I imagine Root (91no) and Morgan (90no) are a bit annoyed that the weather prevented them making centuries!
  • LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

Here's a stat - no England left arm fast bowler has ever taken 100 Test wickets. For whatever reason we don't seem to produce left armers whereas the likes of Australia, New Zealand and Pakistan seem to have a conveyor belt of them.

Could Sam Curran be the first to do so?

Bill Voce got 98....

There were a lot less tests back then plus World War 2 which took out 6 years of his career. He was past his peak as a bowler after the War.
    Did you see him play?
    I'm an old git but not quite that old.

Although having said that I have vague memories of a televised Lords Taverners v Old England match in the early sixties when I were a lad and I think Voce might have been in the OlD England side. The likes of Norman Wisdom, Brian Rix and Prince Phillip no less played for the Lords Taverners. One of the umpires was 100 years old and apparently umpired a match when WG Grace was playing.

Before you ask I didn't see WG play either :wink:
    Did Prince Phillip sledge the opposition? :smile:
    Only the China man bowler ;-)
  • LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

Here's a stat - no England left arm fast bowler has ever taken 100 Test wickets. For whatever reason we don't seem to produce left armers whereas the likes of Australia, New Zealand and Pakistan seem to have a conveyor belt of them.

Could Sam Curran be the first to do so?

Bill Voce got 98....

There were a lot less tests back then plus World War 2 which took out 6 years of his career. He was past his peak as a bowler after the War.
    Did you see him play?
    I'm an old git but not quite that old.

Although having said that I have vague memories of a televised Lords Taverners v Old England match in the early sixties when I were a lad and I think Voce might have been in the OlD England side. The likes of Norman Wisdom, Brian Rix and Prince Phillip no less played for the Lords Taverners. One of the umpires was 100 years old and apparently umpired a match when WG Grace was playing.

Before you ask I didn't see WG play either :wink:
    I saw most of the great Surrey team, from the 1950s May, Laker, Lock, Alec and Eric Bedser and so on also Godfrey Evans, Doug Wright and most of the Kent team from that era
  • I'm fascinated by Kamindu Mendis who apparently bowled both right arm off spin and slow left arm in this game. He didn't take any wickets but was more economical than the others. He also scored 22 runs, but disappointingly only batted left handed.
  • just had a look but I cant seem to find any scheduled highlights on free to air TV. has sky got complete exclusivity?

I think that's the norm. Channel 5 have rights to highlights of home series, but I think shy have exclusive rights to overseas series
    shame. you would think with all this talk by the ECB and other cricket councils that they want more youngsters and people in general to get into cricket that they wouldn't put it completely behind a pay wall.
  • just had a look but I cant seem to find any scheduled highlights on free to air TV. has sky got complete exclusivity?

I think that's the norm. Channel 5 have rights to highlights of home series, but I think shy have exclusive rights to overseas series
    shame. you would think with all this talk by the ECB and other cricket councils that they want more youngsters and people in general to get into cricket that they wouldn't put it completely behind a pay wall.
    I'm not sure overseas tours, other than The Ashes, have EVER had any terrestrial TV coverage to be fair.
  • I'm fascinated by Kamindu Mendis who apparently bowled both right arm off spin and slow left arm in this game. He didn't take any wickets but was more economical than the others. He also scored 22 runs, but disappointingly only batted left handed.

This tweet shows both actions!

I'm not sure overseas tours, other than The Ashes, have EVER had any terrestrial TV coverage to be fair.
    really? you might be right cos as far as I remember channel 4 only had home series. still, it would be nice if they changed it to be available to all, just a highlight show is all we are asking. seems to be the norm as its pretty poor that ITV has lost out on England football matches to sky.
  • Second game washed out

• Second game washed out

Why? Perfectly playable!
  • Sponsored links:

• Sky Sports coverage of the 1st ODI international starts 9.30am tomorrow.
  • edited October 2018

Sky Sports coverage of the 1st ODI international starts 9.30am tomorrow.

And radio coverage on TalkSport, probably their digital chanel.
  • Just a heads up that I've made a Twitter account in the style of PlentyOfShots, but for cricket. Posting old clips etc.

The @ is WIR_DB

eg

(I do plan on bringing PlentyOfShots back, but I promised to do it only once Roland sells. So I've been waiting a while unfortunately)

But yeah, please do follow @ WIR_DB on Twitter if you're on there. It'll be good, promise.
    You've got some famous (in the cricket world at least) followers. I just got a notification saying a few people I follow followed you so had already seen the account before it was posted here. Like the look of it.
  • Just a heads up that I've made a Twitter account in the style of PlentyOfShots, but for cricket. Posting old clips etc.

The @ is WIR_DB

eg

(I do plan on bringing PlentyOfShots back, but I promised to do it only once Roland sells. So I've been waiting a while unfortunately)

But yeah, please do follow @ WIR_DB on Twitter if you're on there. It'll be good, promise.
    You've got some famous (in the cricket world at least) followers. I just got a notification saying a few people I follow followed you so had already seen the account before it was posted here. Like the look of it.
    You're too kind :smile:
  • Listening to the BBC's "The cricket social". No ball by ball commentary, but all the weird and interesting conversations you get listening to TMS
  • Listening to the BBC's "The cricket social". No ball by ball commentary, but all the weird and interesting conversations you get listening to TMS

I think it is really clever and a bit cheeky what TMS have done here. They're on air via the BBC website and Sports App throughout the whole tour and they know people will tune in for something like this as many do for the chat as much as they do for ball-by-ball commentary. They will report on whats happening regularly and I think they will deter a lot of avid radio fans (like me) from bothering to even find where to listen to TalkSports efforts.
  • Riviera said:

Listening to the BBC's "The cricket social". No ball by ball commentary, but all the weird and interesting conversations you get listening to TMS

I think it is really clever and a bit cheeky what TMS have done here. They're on air via the BBC website and Sports App throughout the whole tour and they know people will tune in for something like this as many do for the chat as much as they do for ball-by-ball commentary. They will report on whats happening regularly and I think they will deter a lot of avid radio fans (like me) from bothering to even find where to listen to TalkSports efforts.
    I think this especially works for these "lesser" overseas tours where people aren't exactly on the edge of their seats worried about the score and result.
  • But your missing out on Jarrod Kimber on talksport. If you haven't read any of his books you need to.
  • SL won the toss and put England in.

Eng 92-2 15 overs rain stopped play.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd say it's unlikely there'll be any more play

Is it raining in Gravesend as well?

The dry season is December - March by which time our tour will be well and truly over.
  • Inspection at half passed
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Inspection at half passed

Inspection now moved to 3.45
  • It's looking like it may be a 30 over game.
  • There's one area of the ground that is causing concern. They have to start by 5.00 for the match to qualify for the minimum of 20 overs - if that happens we will have 5 more overs to bat!
  • Match abandoned.
  • Hand shakes and off they go..