Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Time wasting by Shit football teams (it is always shit football teams) at Throw ins and Set pieces

2»

Comments

• Options

JaShea99 said:

Good.

Kicking the ball away, dribbling it away from where the ball should be taken or doing that stupid high throw up in the air does my head in. And none of it is ever penalised.

Some of those, while annoying, are done though to allow the defending team to regroup, rather than to waste time
    Yeah that’s true, but does that mean it should be allowed? I’d still say no.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Chizz said:

Rizzo said:

Erm, you could still be done for time wasting. What makes you think that a change in the playing time would alter that?

What's the point of having laws against time-wasting, if they're not applied? Applied the Laws and there's no need to alter the fundamental structure of the game.
    I agree there's no point in having laws that are not applied but as they are not applied and never have been then it's time to change.

Well I would argue that the best way to prevent the situation where players break the Laws is to punish the players in the hope it prevents them continuing. Not changing the Laws and, presumably, allowing a continued laissez faire attitude to the new Laws.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    The reason time wasting is getting worse is because it works! There are ways to prevent it working but they would involve fundamental changes to the game.

I coach at U18 level and I have to admit we time waste sometimes. It isn't with subs walking off - more staying down with injuries, but it isn't coached or instructed- it is what players see from their heroes. We could demand they stop time wasting but I think it is seen as part of the game - I see it as such I have to admit. They would say they really were badly injured anyway with a glint in their eye. A close game rarely ends without both teams getting angry with each other (actually more like despising each other) and I think players enjoy winding opponents up.

We had a team waiting in the car park for us last season, and in another game, my son (our keeper) was kicked in the back out of frustration near the end of a game. I have told him that whilst he might enjoy winding them up, it might end with some nutter trying to injure him. Somebody tried to break his leg a couple of seasons ago.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I would argue that it is not shit teams that time waste as they are generally winning the game when they do. Having a separate timekeeper like in Rugby Union would work, but seeing as the average game contains (I think) about 55 to 65 minutes of play, you would probably need to cut the 90 minutes to something like 70 or 75 which would really bother the purists.

As Plato was reported to have said once, tradition is just another word for the collective habit. If you are stuck on the tradition of 90 minute matches, don't moan when teams time waste. If you agree with Plato, then you might just be able to find a solution to the problem.
  • Options

I would argue that it is not shit teams that time waste as they are generally winning the game when they do. Having a separate timekeeper like in Rugby Union would work, but seeing as the average game contains (I think) about 55 to 65 minutes of play, you would probably need to cut the 90 minutes to something like 70 or 75 which would really bother the purists.

As Plato was reported to have said once, tradition is just another word for the collective habit. If you are stuck on the tradition of 90 minute matches, don't moan when teams time waste. If you agree with Plato, then you might just be able to find a solution to the problem.

What did Plato say about the collective habit of U18 footballers mimicking the cheating of professional footballers? :wink:

The solution to the problem of players cheating, is to punish them, not give them different rules.

As Sophocles said, "I would prefer even to fail with honour than to win by cheating".

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Ok, so a player is hurt, if he makes a bit of a meal of it, how do you prove he is cheating? To be honest, the example I gave of a team waiting for us in the car park, was after one of our players got a kick on the boot and was genuinely injured. You could hear a scream of pain immediately after contact. He is a completely honest lad and wouldn't time waste - one of three or four. But as he was injured when we were winning 2-1 with 1 minute to go the other team got irate. It would be harsh punishing him for getting kicked!

Last week we were winning 2-1 against the top team in the league. My son got fouled and made a meal of it. I know he did, but he would never admit to it. I wasn't worried he was badly injured as I know when that happens, and maybe their player shouldn't have fouled him in injury time!
  • Options
    Jeez when you add in VAR as well as this stopping the clock idea a game could last days!!

Having said that I do think there is an argument for stopping the clock for substitutions only - injury time never seems to account for this, and managers know it - which is why you always get pointless 88th minute substitutions in every game from the team holding on.
  • Options

If you paid £70 or £80 for a ticket to watch Cardiff v Burnley at the week end you would have seen 42 minutes of football. You would also have spent over 8 minutes watching the same Cardiff player prepare to take a throw about 20 times. When Stoke use to rip paying football fans off like this I never understood why they were allowed to get away with it. At last it seems something might be done about it.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/plans-to-end-time-wasting-v9m6n3s9j

Going back to the original post.

My view is that your not paying £70-80 to be entertained but rather have the privilege to watch athletes do their job. Their job is to win football matches and better the club's position. So if time wasting within the rules wins games then I don't see a problem.

Yes it's boring but they aren't there to entertain you.
  • Options

The situation is not helped by allowing Keepers to take a goal kick from either side. The law was changed in order to speed tbe game up, but has done the opposite.

Precisely. The rule was changed but stupidly so. It should be that the gk takes it from the nearest place to where the ball is.

As for the Cardiff match. One simple eay the ref could have speeded play up at throw-ins would be to have banned the use of a towel. Every time Morrison got the ball he motioned to a ball boy to give him a towel. Ref should have told him to stop doing that .....if he didnt then 2nd time book him for dissent or ungentlemanly conduct.
  • Options
    My point is, if people think time wasting is such a problem the solution is there. It is a bit radical. but who decided a football game should be 90 minutes? If you are happy about it as it is, stop moaning about it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

My point is, if people think time wasting is such a problem the solution is there. It is a bit radical. but who decided a football game should be 90 minutes? If you are happy about it as it is, stop moaning about it.

It's a bit like the yanks saying that you can't alter their 2nd amendment rights, blissfully unaware of what the word 'amendment' means.

• Options
    The rules are there so enforce them,refs. Book players early to prevent it recurring later in the game,we've all seen it done and it works well.Refs just don't want the aggravation and,presumably,their bosses tell them to prioritise other misdemeanours such as elbowing or high tackles. I think also some refs think it's a part of the game so why the fuss. Players make it so obvious most of the time in a high tempo game and it's infuriating to say the least.Has always been prevalent in lower division football for as long as I can recall.Why are we surprised that a team managed by Colin Wa**er
    uses such petty tactics.42 minutes actual play is a joke,must be some sort of a record. Why can't the Premier bosses fine (or ban if it is a ploy in that team's overall play)club,manager and player(s) when it is so blatant? Who trains refs at our Division One level,a monkey?
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Rizzo said:

It's a bit like the yanks saying that you can't alter their 2nd amendment rights, blissfully unaware of what the word 'amendment' means.

No it isn't, it is about practicality. It is asking too much for refs to accurately record stoppage time and ref the game. I have a little game I play at matches where I like to predict the stoppage time and just by watching the match, not a watch, I am right 95% of the time. It shows what an unexact science it all is. It isn't always easy to know what is time wasting and what isn't and players will just get smarter to adapt to any personal sanctions.

If you want to stop it, then you have to ensure no advantage is gained by it. As long as there is an advantage, there is no point moaning about it. It is the same as a whole host of petty little things players may do to gain an advantage in a game.
  • Options

Rizzo said:

No it isn't, it is about practicality.
    I was referring to the attitude of "A football match is 90 minutes and you can't possibly change that". It's 90 minutes because someone in the dim, distant past decided that it was 90 minutes. It can just as easily be changed to be another period.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Apologies. We seem to agree.

If we made a football match 70 minutes, but the clock stopped for every stoppage - fans would get about 10 to 20 minutes more football. Teams wouldn't bother to time waste as there would be no point in doing it.
  • Options

The situation is not helped by allowing Keepers to take a goal kick from either side. The law was changed in order to speed tbe game up, but has done the opposite.

Precisely. The rule was changed but stupidly so. It should be that the gk takes it from the nearest place to where the ball is.

As for the Cardiff match. One simple eay the ref could have speeded play up at throw-ins would be to have banned the use of a towel. Every time Morrison got the ball he motioned to a ball boy to give him a towel. Ref should have told him to stop doing that .....if he didnt then 2nd time book him for dissent or ungentlemanly conduct.
    I think use of a towel at throw ins should be an immediate red card. No warnings.

I also think the ref should be encouraged to use his initiative to allow approximately 10 seconds only, starting from when, in his opinion, the team can be considered to be in position to take the throw in, otherwise the throw is awarded to the opponents. If a team wants the same player to take all throw ins when they are attacking then that player has to literally sprint across the field anytime they win a throw in.