Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Scunthorpe v Charlton | Tue 02 Oct | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Is there any free streaming outside UK ?

Nope wont be free streaming, you can pay to watch it abroad and will be cheaper than what UK viewers have to pay (Usually about £5 or €6)
  • The Novak derby. Unexpected, undeserved 0-1 loss

Crofts?
  • cafc-west said:

"*Note: Tomorrow's game will be available on iFollow to UK viewers for £10... No VPN will be required"
    I've never done this but am tempted. As CAFC don't subscribe to the service - how do you sign up?

Create an iFollow account on the Scunthorpe website (a free account not a monthly or yearly one) and then buy a match pass

Once you've created your account (and are signed in), the below is where you go to buy the match pass

https://www.scunthorpe-united.co.uk/matches/fixtures/first-team/201819/october/scunthorpe-united-vs-charlton-athletic-on-02-oct-18/
    If I buy it, is there a way I can stream it onto my tv?
    Yeah if you have Chromecast you can download the Scunthorpe app to your phone / iPad / whatever and then cast it across
    Does my Tele have Chromecast it's a philips
  • edited October 2018
    clb74 said:

cafc-west said:

"*Note: Tomorrow's game will be available on iFollow to UK viewers for £10... No VPN will be required"
    I've never done this but am tempted. As CAFC don't subscribe to the service - how do you sign up?

Create an iFollow account on the Scunthorpe website (a free account not a monthly or yearly one) and then buy a match pass

Once you've created your account (and are signed in), the below is where you go to buy the match pass

https://www.scunthorpe-united.co.uk/matches/fixtures/first-team/201819/october/scunthorpe-united-vs-charlton-athletic-on-02-oct-18/
    If I buy it, is there a way I can stream it onto my tv?
    Yeah if you have Chromecast you can download the Scunthorpe app to your phone / iPad / whatever and then cast it across
    Does my Tele have Chromecast it's a philips
    Or play it on your laptop and link to tv using hdmi cable.
  • Sage said:

Bit of a different side to the one we played last season, still have their main playmaker Josh Morris but lost their best player in Duane Holmes to the rams, their attacking left back Townsend to West Brom, Adelakun who was also influential for them to Bristol City and Ivan Toney now on loan to Peterborough. If Solly does start I will be keeping my eye on him, as long as he can keep Morris quiet I reckon we will win, give Morris space and we could be in trouble, great left peg on him and think he is already on 5 assists or so for the season.

With them losing 4 good players from last season and as far as I know not replacing them with similar quality this is a game we should be able to win, I'm going 3-1 Charlton

Agreed. If we play to the capabilities that we can and we match them for performance at least, we have the better quality players and will win the game. They have one major threat. We have Fosu, Taylor and Grant, and if not Grant we have Vetokele. A better midfield with Cullen and Aribo especially.

I do think we will see the same team as the original post. Maybe Vetokele keeping his place as Bowyer was happy with him, and Grant on the bench. But I do think that Pratley and Grant will come back into the side. This will help Cullen get hold of the ball and dictate play more than if Reeves were to play. That’s not anything against Reeves, I think he has done very well and would be unfortunate not to play, but can see a midfield trio of Cullen, Pratley, and Aribo starting tomorrow night.

I actually think we will keep a clean sheet. Taylor will score and only help the cause of Cancer Research UK. Aribo to get the other.

Scunthorpe United 0-2 Charlton Athletic
    Yes, Pratley for Reeves to provide more solidity in the middle, and Karlan back up front. Igor worked hard, but didn't look very sharp on Saturday

Crofts?
    Gone to Newport. He barely played for Scunthorpe last season, a bit of a strange deal all round really.

Crofts?
    Gone to Newport. He barely played for Scunthorpe last season, a bit of a strange deal all round really.
    Oh Ok
  • Scunthorpe players that are out a big miss for them?
  • Sage said:

Bit of a different side to the one we played last season, still have their main playmaker Josh Morris but lost their best player in Duane Holmes to the rams, their attacking left back Townsend to West Brom, Adelakun who was also influential for them to Bristol City and Ivan Toney now on loan to Peterborough. If Solly does start I will be keeping my eye on him, as long as he can keep Morris quiet I reckon we will win, give Morris space and we could be in trouble, great left peg on him and think he is already on 5 assists or so for the season.

With them losing 4 good players from last season and as far as I know not replacing them with similar quality this is a game we should be able to win, I'm going 3-1 Charlton

Agreed. If we play to the capabilities that we can and we match them for performance at least, we have the better quality players and will win the game. They have one major threat. We have Fosu, Taylor and Grant, and if not Grant we have Vetokele. A better midfield with Cullen and Aribo especially.

I do think we will see the same team as the original post. Maybe Vetokele keeping his place as Bowyer was happy with him, and Grant on the bench. But I do think that Pratley and Grant will come back into the side. This will help Cullen get hold of the ball and dictate play more than if Reeves were to play. That’s not anything against Reeves, I think he has done very well and would be unfortunate not to play, but can see a midfield trio of Cullen, Pratley, and Aribo starting tomorrow night.

I actually think we will keep a clean sheet. Taylor will score and only help the cause of Cancer Research UK. Aribo to get the other.

Yes, Pratley for Reeves to provide more solidity in the middle, and Karlan back up front. Igor worked hard, but didn't look very sharp on Saturday
    No we attack
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2018
    Sage said:

Scunthorpe players that are out a big miss for them?

No. Have played the same starting eleven for the last four games.

Alnwick
    Perch Goode Burgess Borthwick-Jackson
    Colclough Lund Ojo Morris
    Ugbo Novak

They play a flat 4-4-2 with two wingers, Colclough and Morris, but neither having loads of pace as a main attribute, but just mainly decent footballers. They have two full backs who like to push forward, Perch and Borthwick-Jackson, so we have to be careful of the double up situation we may face.

I can see us continuing with the diamond and Pratley coming in to help us win the ball back quicker and have control of the midfield. A very good Bowyer tactic of having the front two split and sit in the areas of where the full backs would be when they’ve pushed on so we keep the centre backs occupied, forcing them out wide where they don’t want to be, and allowing us to counter quickly. This also allows Fosu to play as a false 9/number 10 and not be directly picked up by either of their two midfielders as they wouldn’t have a natural sitting midfielder.

It requires a lot of work for the three midfielders we have and could leave our full backs exposed but that is where you hope that the midfielders do a great job and I know that it is what Bowyer demands of them. For this reason too, it is why I can see Pratley coming in and being that midfielder at the base of the diamond. And this is a game I can see Fosu really flourish in, causing all sorts of problems.

Sticking with my prediction from earlier.

Such a great paragraph. When we play well a large part of it is down to the cleverness and fluidity of that front three, especially with the 10 either pushing up through the middle or as Ward was more want to do, drifting out wide. And those forwards pulling out wide, particularly Taylor, has made us less vulnerable down the flanks. Huge credit to Bowyer there.

For me it really comes down to fitness. Grant and Reeves apparently carrying knocks and Igor and Fosu had their first league starts of the season. Plus we're missing Ward.

I'd bring Pratley back in. The problem is I don't know if Fosu is ready for 75 minutes on a Saturday followed by a start on Tuesday. But if not him do you leave Reeves in? It's worth noting he didn't have a preseason. Maybe leave Igor up front and bring Grant in at the 10 if he's fit. There are a lot of permutations here, and for me it's a question of who is fit.
  • edited October 2018
    SDAddick said:

Sage said:

Alnwick
    Ugbo Novak

They play a flat 4-4-2 with two wingers, Colclough and Morris, but neither having loads of pace as a main attribute, but just mainly decent footballers. They have two full backs who like to push forward, Perch and Borthwick-Jackson, so we have to be careful of the double up situation we may face.

I can see us continuing with the diamond and Pratley coming in to help us win the ball back quicker and have control of the midfield. A very good Bowyer tactic of having the front two split and sit in the areas of where the full backs would be when they’ve pushed on so we keep the centre backs occupied, forcing them out wide where they don’t want to be, and allowing us to counter quickly. This also allows Fosu to play as a false 9/number 10 and not be directly picked up by either of their two midfielders as they wouldn’t have a natural sitting midfielder.

It requires a lot of work for the three midfielders we have and could leave our full backs exposed but that is where you hope that the midfielders do a great job and I know that it is what Bowyer demands of them. For this reason too, it is why I can see Pratley coming in and being that midfielder at the base of the diamond. And this is a game I can see Fosu really flourish in, causing all sorts of problems.

Such a great paragraph. When we play well a large part of it is down to the cleverness and fluidity of that front three, especially with the 10 either pushing up through the middle or as Ward was more want to do, drifting out wide. And those forwards pulling out wide, particularly Taylor, has made us less vulnerable down the flanks. Huge credit to Bowyer there.

For me it really comes down to fitness. Grant and Reeves apparently carrying knocks and Igor and Fosu had their first league starts of the season. Plus we're missing Ward.

I'd bring Pratley back in. The problem is I don't know if Fosu is ready for 75 minutes on a Saturday followed by a start on Tuesday. But if not him do you leave Reeves in? It's worth noting he didn't have a preseason. Maybe leave Igor up front and bring Grant in at the 10 if he's fit. There are a lot of permutations here, and for me it's a question of who is fit.
    I get the impression that, unlike some of our previous managers, Bowyer prefers to utilise players in their natural preferred positions, and he considers Grant a striker, so I doubt they'll play Vetokele, Taylor and Grant in the same starting lineup.

Taylor's already on four bookings so Igor could well get another start soon anyway.
  • edited October 2018
    Two tough away games on the bounce and despite drawing at Luton on Saturday I'd settle for another draw against "The Iron" tonight.

1-1
  • Sage said:

Alnwick
    Ugbo Novak

Lund is out, as he's suspended, and Ugbo has a slight knock but is rated 50/50.
  • 1-1, Taylor to score for us.

Hopefully, keep our unbeaten run going against a very improving team.
  • Draw but a win would be cracking.
  • edited October 2018

Sage said:

Alnwick
    Ugbo Novak

Lund is out, as he's suspended, and Ugbo has a slight knock but is rated 50/50.
    Thank you, didn’t know that was the case. I expect Ugbo to start still however. It will be interesting how they play with Lund out, although it will probably be a straight swap as he has been substituted a few times this season.

Having had a look, he got booked in each of their last 4 games, suggesting maybe he was more of the sitting midfielder out of him and Ojo.
  • I can see a cheeky 1-0 or 2-1 Charlton here. If this happens then we'll be proper contenders this year.

Here's hoping.
  • Just done them on Fifa 19 so 4=0 Charlton
  • Gonna watch on ifollow but have a feeling it won’t be €6 well spent
  • Sponsored links:

• These are a bit of a bogey team aren't they?

Want to say 1-0 win but Sarr really worries me at the back so will go with 1-1.
  • Feeling perversely optimistic.
  • _MrDick said:

Gonna watch on ifollow but have a feeling it won’t be €6 well spent

How do you do this?
  • _MrDick said:

Gonna watch on ifollow but have a feeling it won’t be €6 well spent

How do you do this?
    All the information how to watch IFollow and pay for 1 game has been posted by Clive on page 1 of this thread.
    I just clicked on the links provided, signed up and paid £10 to watch tonight's game.
  • We'll cruise to a 2-0 victory.
  • GRAY9 said:

These are a bit of a bogey team aren't they?

Want to say 1-0 win but Sarr really worries me at the back so will go with 1-1.

Get the scapegoat out of the way before the match, that's nice
  • Worth a bet on Novak score any time.

Despite that hopefully we can pick up at least a point.
  • I'm far too confident about tonight, which will be our downfall
  • Last season they beat us twice and we didn't score a goal, the season before we won every game with them scoring 1 in each game, which means It's our turn this season again. 2-1 win it is.
  • jac52 said:

Last season they beat us twice and we didn't score a goal, the season before we won every game with them scoring 1 in each game, which means It's our turn this season again. 2-1 win it is.

That season we drew 0-0 at Glanford Park, was a horrible Tuesday night game under the very patient Slade