Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ownership clarify discretionary staff bonus situation

Comments

• Options
    Davo55 said:

Is the statement that no action is being taken against the club over unpaid bonuses true or false?

I think it’s true that legal action hasn’t YET been taken. Doesn’t mean it won’t be.
    I very much doubt it if we get new sensible owners - a very big "if" however.
  • Options

Davo55 said:

Is the statement that no action is being taken against the club over unpaid bonuses true or false?

I think it’s true that legal action hasn’t YET been taken. Doesn’t mean it won’t be.
    Smoke and mirrors. They wouldn't even put their names to a letter, they're hardly going to take legal action.
    Silly thing to say.

The club now who they have knocked for the bonuses.
    So why not sign it? Perhaps there's an element of truth that the letter didn't represent all of the staff and those who did write it, didn't want to be seen as the instigators.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Davo55 said:

Smoke and mirrors. They wouldn't even put their names to a letter, they're hardly going to take legal action.
    Wouldn’t bet on that. They can’t be sanctioned for taking legal action. You also need to bear in mind that some will have left by the time it gets that far. They can still make a claim.

The club knows who sent the letter.
    I'm as sceptical about that as I am this resulting in a legal dispute.
    There are 20-plus people involved. Do you seriously think those people hadn’t raised the issue face to face internally before it got this far? Do you think management wouldn't have asked who wrote it if they were in any doubt? If so why not?

Wouldn't they be saying, we don’t believe the letter came from the staff? They know very well it did and that it represents the collective view.
  • Options

Davo55 said:

Silly thing to say.

The club now who they have knocked for the bonuses.
    So why not sign it? Perhaps there's an element of truth that the letter didn't represent all of the staff and those who did write it, didn't want to be seen as the instigators.
    It’s not as if there might be any scapegoating of individuals in a well-run company like Charlton, after all. Why doesn’t the club say if it doesn’t think it represents the views of all those affected?
  • Options

Davo55 said:

Wouldn’t bet on that. They can’t be sanctioned for taking legal action. You also need to bear in mind that some will have left by the time it gets that far. They can still make a claim.

There are 20-plus people involved. Do you seriously think those people hadn’t raised the issue face to face internally before it got this far? Do you think management wouldn't have asked if they were in any doubt? If so why not?
    Q1. Yes, we know they did because we saw the leaked response (from memory, HR but HR could have been copied in).

Q2. Not sure what you're asking. That management weren't aware of the bonus scheme being discretionary and if so why not?

Asking you a question in return. If the club know who sent the letter, will the same people confirm with a signed letter, publicly, that the letter was from them? And if not, why not?
  • Options
    I feel the ‘whys and wherefores” of who sent the letter are none of my business or concern. My concern is that the whole saga is further evidence of a poorly run club that I have passionately supported for many years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    The quote sums it all up perfectly
  • Options

Davo55 said:

There are 20-plus people involved. Do you seriously think those people hadn’t raised the issue face to face internally before it got this far? Do you think management wouldn't have asked if they were in any doubt? If so why not?
    Q1. Yes, we know they did because we saw the leaked response (from memory, HR but HR could have been copied in).

Q2. Not sure what you're asking. That management weren't aware of the bonus scheme being discretionary and if so why not?

Asking you a question in return. If the club know who sent the letter, will the same people confirm with a signed letter, publicly, that the letter was from them? And if not, why not?
    That’s not a question for me, but considering the nutjob has issued three statements in three weeks on the subject trying to blame CARD you can see why individuals prefer to keep their heads down.

The staff say the word “discretionary” was never used until an explanation for non-payment was dragged out of the club by the Mail story. They say they have documentary evidence they have compiled and submitted that to the club. His response has been to issue another statement about CARD.

Personally I have every respect for a group who have stood up to Duchatelet because they believe he has cheated them and for no other reason.
    OK - last point from me as I risk being labelled anti-card / pro-Duchatelet which is far from true.

The story, in my view, should never been leaked in the first place if no-one was willing to own it. That's not to say one individual, but everyone affected should have been united. I respect CARD's support of the employees but it always had to be a two way thing.

I'd question whether they truly have stood up to RD. It looks, from the outside looking in, that as soon as the going got tough, certain people have backed down leaving CARD to pick up the pieces and take the hit.

Time will tell how this eventually pans out. I doubt we'll hear much more about it but would love RD to have to swallow some pride and pay out.

Always respect a civilised exchange and will be the first to admit if I've called this wrong.
  • Options
    Now I have got over my anger with that latest statement I am now laughing. I came away thinking "Ok the crips protest wasn't great but it got in the media" which was the intention. It is hilarious he is blaming CARD for everything. All they did is one protest since we were told club was being sold and it has really got to him. He is so deluded and rattled. Why don't he just drop his price, take a haircut and leave. He can then enjoy his retirement.
  • Options
    Let’s assume Roland is not a total idiot, this dispute with any other club would not make the news. It is because Roland and his cronies have mis managed the club, created total animosity with the supporters. So not being a total idiot! He knows he cannot recover, get out now.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Roland s going nowhere unless he gets the money he wants.
    I don't think he cares now about how much it's going to cost him, we have somehow got to get promotion this year so someone pays him what he wants and we are rid.
    However If we get promoted the asking price will probably be about £75 million.
    I sometimes wonder what I've done in a previous life to desevere this.
    Got the racing channel on and there's a horse running at 5.45 glutonforpunishment.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Scoham said:
    Good quote from @Airman Brown

But it's the sign off to his article on VOTV which deserves all the plaudits. Having remarked that Duchatelet has now issued statements attacking CARD on three consecutive Tuesdays, Airman signs off with the immortal line.....

"See you next Tuesday, eh?".

Absolutely brilliant. And all the better for knowing it will have gone straight over Douchebag's head. :smiley:
    Yep, absolutely brilliant.

Let's hope someone explains it to the poor old sod.
  • Options
    Deluded paranoid inaccurate and just plain nasty stuff from RD.

Keep on keeping on CARD!
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    From the BBC link
    Campaign Against Roland Duchatelet (CARD)

Is it not coalition
  • Options
    Sorry if already answered @Henry Irving I think they admitted removing the breakfasts at the first LdT FF
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    razil said:

Sorry if already answered @Henry Irving I think they admitted removing the breakfasts at the first LdT FF

I know, it was a rhetorical question as they mentioned it in the press release and then didn't refute it.
  • Options
    Ramblings of a man so out of touch with what’s going on. The thing I find amazing is the fact that it’s obviously written by someone who doesn’t speak English as a first language

It’s what you employ a comms dpt for. Does he run Melexis this way? Press release in Japan for a new product out there is unlikely to be penned and translated from literal Belgian

It’s just bizarre
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Apart from anything else the paranoia infecting the communication is also about flushing out some kind of mole on the payroll.
    Absolutely in keeping with the culture of the club in terms of going after reportedly staff members for imagined transgressions, monitoring forums for dissident fans, cleaning up the internet where possible, filming in the faces of protesting fans, the whole general cold war shebang.
    Who then is the mole? Some might say it is Sue Parkes on the basis that is somebody you'd least suspect. Have to rule her out as not being a club employee (being a club beneficiary doesn't count). Could it be Cojones himself? Messages innocently left in dead letter boxes disguised as manky discarded cheese sandwiches?
    Or could it all be the doing of this Eddie Stobart Van and Truck For Hire, operating the classic double bluff? I think you'll find there is some alignment between when Eddie parked up and when this latest farrargo emerged.

Report in the TV Times of an upcoming new thriller by John Le Carre....

Thanks for leaking the plot, Seth!
  • Options

Playing devils advocate for a minute.

If the bonuses were discretionary and not contractual as I think we were led to believe then I don't think RD had done much wrong. Yes, the club should maybe have told the staff........but if I was a member of staff at a club in such a state as this I think I would have already had a word with my line manager or whoever is in charge just to see what the position was....maybe in June or July.

But apart from that I do agree with everything else pp's have said about the statement.

If I was a member of staff at a club in such a state...

Do you mean loss making? If so a simple 12 month projections would have shown that so RD should not have offered discretionary bonuses or he should have made it very clear they were highly unlikely to be paid despite performance in the event we made the loss that was being forecast - I assume he didn’t so RD has done something wrong.

Or, do you mean being run into the ground by an idiot in which case RD has done something wrong.

Either Way RD has done something wrong and your devils advocate doesn’t work!
  • Options

5.5m EBITDA loss v £10m operating loss. If you are wondering what the £4.5m difference was I've just had a look in the 2017 accounts and this showed

1.7m Depreciation of fixed assets
    1.8m Ammortisation of goodwill
    1.0m interest, presumably on the loans from Stapix

Its not unreasonable to assume siliar figures for last year

For those of use not usually involved in the minutiae of accounts, what exactly is ammortisation of goodwill?
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

5.5m EBITDA loss v £10m operating loss. If you are wondering what the £4.5m difference was I've just had a look in the 2017 accounts and this showed

1.7m Depreciation of fixed assets
    1.8m Ammortisation of goodwill
    1.0m interest, presumably on the loans from Stapix

Its not unreasonable to assume siliar figures for last year

For those of use not usually involved in the minutiae of accounts, what exactly is ammortisation of goodwill?
    It just means “Highland Spring”, that’s how much he’s worked out he was losing....
  • Options
    Macronate said:

I remain astounded that this individual was ever successful in business.

He appears to have the business acumen of a half eaten sprout.

https://acumenlearning.com/what-we-do/business-acumen-training/</blockquote

I like sprouts.
    Don’t diss sprouts.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Duchatelet has redefined the meaning of clarify.
    I don’t think even Alan Turing could decipher that statement.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

“This was mainly because of the ongoing sale of the club which caused our CEO to leave resulting in delayed player sales and delay in actions being taken to make the club more cost efficient”-lol

Yep point taken, everything was going rosy before she left....

When the person running the club resigns, you're meant to replace them you absolute effing bell.