Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Contact lenses or spectacles ?

Which do you prefer ?

Comments

• Options
    I wear spectacles 90% of the time, but contacts are useful when playing sport, watching birds (so the binoculars fit nicely to the eye sockets) or watching Charlton (for the full widescreen experience)
  • Options
    Everyone who knows me IRL from this site basically never sees me in glasses, but I spend more or less all the time I'm not hanging out with them wearing glasses - big glasses at that
  • Options
    Always preferred contacts but recently had to get bifocals and bifocal contacts are crap particularly for work computer so have ended up wearing the new specs most of the time.
  • Options
    Contact lenses (gas permeable) but I use glasses now much more than I used to in order to give my eyes a rest. I have always been extremely short sighted.
  • Options
    Glasses. Never fancied contact lenses.
  • Options
    Contacts - but over the last couple of years with supplementary reading glasses when needed (couldn't get on with bifocal contacts like Nug)
  • Options
    Spectacles - the thought of putting something in my eye has never appealed!
  • Options
    I wear glasses to read and PC work however I find them a pain when doing DIY so would like to try contacts for this.
  • Options
    I wore contact lenses constantly from age 15 to age 33 only taking out for bedtime. My eyes can't handle them very well anymore so now I wear glasses except for rare occasions such as going out for meals or drinks. My eyes feel so much better in glasses as a result.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lasered- but wear reading glasses.
  • Options
    Specs... Extremely short sighted

Never wanted to wear Contact Lenses
  • Options
    Contacts.
  • Options
    Glasses - contacts freak me right out.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Glasses up until I was 16. Always wear contacts now 34. Prob not good for my eyes but I hate glasses.
  • Options
    Thankfully don't need the but will go with glasses if/when I do. Hate anything going near my eyes, have to have mine tested annually with the drops that dilate the pupils, can't stand it.

I'm shitting myself at the moment as I've developed a mole on my eyelid and know I'll have to get it sorted before too long.

• Options
    Contacts (daily wear/single use). Don't like wearing glasses, they get in the way.
  • Options
    I wear monthly contacts mostly when I'm at work or doing sport. I try and give my eyes a rest by wearing glasses at least twice a week. I do prefer contact lenses though as I'm a bit self-conscious about wearing glasses.

I went to get my eyes lasered a few months ago but I was in the 1% of the population that they couldn't perform the procedure on due to bumpy irises. I will have to wait until I'm 45 to get a full lense replacement which is similar to cataract surgery.
  • Options
    Used to wear glasses, but they kept getting broken. Tried contacts with no joy, ended up having lens replacement surgery.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One of each
  • Options
    Chizz said:

One of each

You must look evil af.
  • Options
    Been in glasses since I was 18mo and contacts since I was like 10. Definitely prefer contacts, but some of that is because my eyes will start to cross when I wear glasses. I should wear reading glasses for computer/work stuff and reading but I don't.

But I have been known to bring reading glasses to presentations to use for dramatic effect.
  • Options
    I’m surprised there has only been two so far that’s been lasered. Maybe because the thread is about glasses or contacts?
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I wear spectacles 90% of the time, but contacts are useful when playing sport, watching birds (so the binoculars fit nicely to the eye sockets) or watching Charlton (for the full widescreen experience)

I wear dark glasses when looking at birds.
  • Options
    Glasses. I've got astigmatism, and the proper contacts for that are expensive, but I used to use ordinary disposables when going out, as not having quite the right prescription for a few hours wasn't a major issue. Trouble is, taking them out when you're drunk and a bit out of practice is a nightmare, so now I don't bother and just wear my glasses all the time anyway. Given that I've hit the point where I need reading glasses too, not having to faff about with training myself to use bifocal contacts is also an advantage.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

I’m surprised there has only been two so far that’s been lasered. Maybe because the thread is about glasses or contacts?

My eyesight is too bad.
  • Options
    Glasses, then contacts, but as my eyes hardened back to varifocal glasses. Tried varifocal contacts but they're bloody useless.
    I Buy cheap fixed disposable contacts for occasional leisure use and carry a two quid pair of reading specs so that I don't have to have menus read out loud to me - makes me feel like a total div.
  • Options
    I've had operations on both eyes for Keratoconus (Cornea changing shape) & can now only wear special scleral contact lenses, which cover the whole eye & need to filled with saline first before being put in. I also need to use a special "plunger" to put them in & pull them out.

Can never wear glasses again.
  • Options
    I became short sighted in my 30s and was prescribed glasses for driving, cinema, watching football and similar "distance" stuff. I didn't need reading glasses at all.

Now, I need X1.5 reading glasses for books, computer stuff etc but paradoxically, my distance vision has improved correspondingly. I sometimes wear very weak glasses for driving at night when there are no street lights but any improvement is hardly noticeable and it's more a matter of habit.

Is this unusual?