Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Plymouth | Sat 22 Sep | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Plymouth Argyle
Saturday 22nd September 2018 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Dean Whitestone (Northamptonshire)

Introduction

Charlton return to the Valley this weekend in buoyant mood… Maximum points from the last three games have put the Addicks in serious contention at the right end of the table, a 2-0 win at Valley Parade on Saturday saw the strike due of Taylor and Grant continuing their good form together and (on the pitch) everything looks rather golden, until January that is!! – Tomorrow we welcome Plymouth Argyle who’ll be making the long trip up from Devon, its where it all began for Lee Bowyer, lets hope we get the same outcome!!

The Opposition
Name: Plymouth Argyle | Manager: Derek Adams
Ground: Home Park

It really does seem as though Plymouth have issues with the opening months of League One, either that or they like to make the year look more fun and challenging by giving everyone a head start – This season they sit rooted to the bottom of the League and with just three draws have yet to record a victory… Rewind twelve months and Plymouth were in exactly the same position yet with one less draw and one more win, unfortunately that opening win came against Charlton (albeit at Home Park)… Lets hope we don’t get the same outcome!!

As I stated a few times last season, I’m surprised that Plymouth are struggling at this early stage… As proven come May; the Pilgrims are a side who should be challenging at the right side of the Division and fully expect them to be a nuisance once again come the business end.

On the player front; Sonny Bradley was the only major out and with Graham Carey; Plymouth have a player who’ll be problematic from the off… In terms of signings: Joe Riley from Shrewsbury has been one of their more notable acquisitions, whilst special mention must go to Ryan Edwards, seven appearance and two goals this term already being an impressive achievement after surviving a cancer battle this year

Charlton Team News
With eight goals this term; Lyle Taylor and Karlan Grant appear to have struck up decent partnership and will no doubt continue to be a threat as the season continues, whilst Josh Cullen has started to provide the creativity we’ve so missed in the opening stages of the season – Jamie Ward appeared to be the final signing of the summer and along with Cullen will be looking to make his Valley debut.

Good news out of the way, Charlton were rocked by the surprise news that Patrick Bauer is now set for a two months spell on the side lines – With Krystian Bielik out for a few more weeks, Naby Sarr is the obvious candidate to return to the centre of defence… Tariqe Fosu will remain absent from the squad as he serves the last of his three match ban

Steer
Solly | Sarr | Pearce | Page
Aribo | Cullen | Reeves
Ward
Taylor | Grant

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Dijksteel | Morgan | Lapslie | Marshall | Vetokele | Ajose

Prediction
Lee Bowyer will be looking to record a fourth win on the trot for the first time in his Management career having twice come close last term – Plymouth though are in a false position and wont be an easy team to beat, yet with just one point on the road all season, this is a huge chance for Charlton to add even more confidence amongst the squad and potentially climb as high as third should results go their way again.

Comments

• Comfortable home win 4-0. It'll probably happen this week as I will be missing my first home game for a few years.
  • I'm on a roll here.
    I predicted on the Southend match thread that we would win our next five games.
    3 down so far and 2 to go.
    Despite our injuries I believe Bowyer has still got enough to keep our run going.
    3.0 Charlton.
  • I'm on a roll here.
    Despite our injuries I believe Bowyer has still got enough to keep our run going.
    3.0 Charlton.

Barnsley next month (and right after my bloody birthday) is the only game I'm wary of until November
  • edited September 2018

Plymouth Argyle who’ll be making the long trip up to from Devon, its where it all began for Lee Bowyer, lets hope we get the same outcome!!

Minor edit needed!
  • cafc-west said:

Plymouth Argyle who’ll be making the long trip up to from Devon, its where it all began for Lee Bowyer, lets hope we get the same outcome!!

Minor edit needed!
    Cheers... the one typo out of an endless amount that I missed today
  • I'm on a roll here.
    3.0 Charlton.

We'd win tomorrow with you in the team
  • clb74 said:

I'm on a roll here.
    3.0 Charlton.

We'd win tomorrow with you in the team
    Anymore injuries and we might have to.
  • Even with the injuries should still have enough, 2-0 and into the top six.
  • Only one change from the predicted line up and squad and that’s Mascoll on the bench for Ajose, who I think will be back next weekend, just tomorrow is too soon.

Strike partnership to continue and Grant will score.

Charlton Athletic 3-1 Plymouth Argyle
  • Addicks win 3-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Addicks to win 2-1 in close game.
  • If we go 3/5 at the back again I wouldnt mind seeing Page on the left hand side of the back three with Mascoll as LWB.
  • After his cameo last week, I would start Igor with Karlan dropping into the 10 role. If we do what we did with Ward it means that it will sometimes be more of a 4-3-3 with the 10 pushing up to the forward line. It creates a lot of inter-change and with those three you have both a lot of pace and ability. Plus, having Igor play on the shoulder of the last man can create more space for Taylor and Karlan.

I just thought Ward looked off the pace, which is to be expected. But I believe in Igor we have a fit replacement raring to go. And while it does require moving Karlan back a bit that means he will see more of the ball and have more space to run at their defense.
  • SDAddick said:

After his cameo last week, I would start Igor with Karlan dropping into the 10 role. If we do what we did with Ward it means that it will sometimes be more of a 4-3-3 with the 10 pushing up to the forward line. It creates a lot of inter-change and with those three you have both a lot of pace and ability. Plus, having Igor play on the shoulder of the last man can create more space for Taylor and Karlan.

I just thought Ward looked off the pace, which is to be expected. But I believe in Igor we have a fit replacement raring to go. And while it does require moving Karlan back a bit that means he will see more of the ball and have more space to run at their defense.

I like your thinking as a front three of Taylor | Ajose | Grant did seem to work, its just Ajose wasnt effective enough

I just dont know if I'd drop Grant back because of his good form (His pace is terrifying defences at the moment) or whether Vetokele could do the role back there either - Hopefully Ward solely looked off the pace because it was his first game of the season and will slowly get better with games, as he said in a SLP interview (link on his thread), its difficult to train with the U23s like he was with Forest and then raise his game for the First Team straight away
  • So many left footers in the team, have we ever had so many. Steer, Page, Pearce. Sarr, Aribo, and Reeves.
  • As a self-confessed glory hunter I will be there on Saturday to witness the new era (version 76b) and the pioneering diamond formation reverting to parked bus, after 65 minutes.

First match since Wigan and some other miserable fixture from last season, now long forgotten.

Have the Grumpy family with me so expecting a mouth-watering goal fest and spine tingling atmosphere.

1-1

Grant 11'
    Ladapo 99'

• edited September 2018
    comfy home win

CAFC 2 v Plymouth Argyle 0
  • Easy to get carried away after three wins. Current form suggests a comfortable victory but it's early days. IF the players play to the right tempo and with confidence in their ability yes we will win. However, I refer you to the comment that LB made following the Wycombe game that he can't seem to get 90 minutes out of the team yet. If we can score in the first 25-20 mins. then we should take all three points. Not being negative - just realistic in my expectations.
  • Addicks to win 2-1 in close game.

Let's not have a close game, We had one of them last Saturday up til the 2nd goal.
    Go for the throat straight off 2-0 by half time then a couple more in the 2nd half
  • Sponsored links:

• This is what's worrying me!
  • Plymouth is a bit like plywood. And not surprsingly as it grows naturally over there. 4 layers of ply held together by 3 layers of mouth. Therefore, (she's a witch) no no therefore Charlton 7 Plymouth wood.
  • 3 wins on the trot, 4 unbeaten.......we're on a roll & meeting the league's bottom side, at home, at they've not won a game all season. What can go wrong.

0-1.

This is Charlton. We don't normal.

We do normal tomorrow golfie
  • I'd be really surprised if we go into a match without a "proper" CB on the bench, so it wouldn't surprise me to see someone like Bowry (or Cummings) there
  • I feel like this particular team under this particular management won’t take the foot off the gas for a bottom of the table side.

3-1 Taylor, Ward, Vetokele
  • Pilgrim's will make no progress against us
    2-0 Charlton, Taylor and Grant
  • 3 wins on the trot, 4 unbeaten.......we're on a roll & meeting the league's bottom side, at home, at they've not won a game all season. What can go wrong.

0-1.

This is Charlton. We don't normal.

Probably not far wrong. Everyone seems to be expecting a stroll, but we rarely do things the easy way. Would be lovely to have a 2 goal lead at half time and then coast to a 3 or 4-0 win but in reality it'll probably be quite tight, plymouth will nick a goal and we'll have a fight on our hands. I think we'll edge it 2-1 though.
  • Don't forget Ward, Reeves and Vetokele were not match fit last week and with another weeks training must be a lot fitter. In my normal optimistic view 3-0