Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stephen Darby

Bolton full back retires from football at 29 after being diagnosed with motor neurone disease.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45561264

Awful news for him and his family.

Comments

• Dont know if its because its finally getting more scope than it used to as there definitely seem to be more stories about people getting this!! - Certainly hope it is the case of more scope rather than there being more cases

Really do feel for the bloke, effectively being given a death sentence

Hopefully he can still have a few more years on Earth and have the ability to enjoy them too
  • Awful news. Terrible disease. The very best of luck to him and his family.
  • terrible news, a horrible disease
  • edited September 2018
    My family has been devastated by this recently. My younger brother has been diagnosed 6 months ago.
    I too have noticed more and more stories/reports of this terrible disease but thought that’s just because it is now something close to my heart
  • It is a devastating disease. My partner’s best friends mum had the disease and passed away 3 years ago now. It was incredibly difficult to see some one so full of life ebb away whilst being completely conscious of that fact. Just awful.
  • This is awful. The very best to him
  • Terrible news, gutted for the guy
  • Good luck Stephen.
  • Incredibly sad.

I remember when he came through at Liverpool it seemed like he was highly thought of. He seemed to become something of a lower league journeyman but he always look good and tough when I saw him play.

It's absolutely awful. I just learned he married Steph Houghton in June. My heart breaks for them. I wish I had something more articulate than recounting the times I've seen him play.
  • Sponsored links:

• My father in law sadly died of this horrible disease many years ago. Thoughts with you @Taxi_Lad
  • edited September 2018
    Devastating news for Stephen Darby and his Wife, the England football captain Steph Houghton.
    Life and nature can be so cruel.
    Why motor neurone disease can strike fit and healthy young people is so perverse.

Really feel for@Taxi_Lad and all folk who are close friends or family of victims of this shocking disease.
  • Found out last night that my cousin has been diagnosed with it at 75. Had trouble walking for a while but doctor couldn't see anything wrong until she finally got it diagnosed. Can only communicate with my mum via text as she can't speak (she lives a long way from her).
  • It's terrible news, my thoughts are with them and anyone else who knows someone struggling.

If anyone isn't aware of how fast this horrible illness can effect people, Google Fernando Rickson, the former Rangers and Holland player. I won't link it as I understand why people won't want to see it.

• edited September 2018
    Awful news for him.

I remember about 30 years ago, reading an article written by Don Revie describing how he tried to cope with it.
    He was in a wheelchair within 12 months of diagnosis. And died a year later aged only 61.

Best wishes to Srephen Darby and his family.
    And also to those in the Charlton Life community with family and friends affected by this terrible disease.

• Another former footballer Lenny Johnrose formerly of Blackburn Burnley and Swansea is also a sufferer. Did a piece on bbc football recently about his struggles and outlook.
  • Taxi_Lad said:

Another former footballer Lenny Johnrose formerly of Blackburn Burnley and Swansea is also a sufferer. Did a piece on bbc football recently about his struggles and outlook.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06gpcp2