Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Accommodation tips Tokyo Kyoto Nara Osaka Nagano

Sorry if it has already been covered by another thread...
Family of 2 adults 1 teenager 1 20 years old.
April next year.
Clueless.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2018
    @Badger is your man for info on Japan.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

#badger is your man for info on Japan.

That kinda rhymes eh!
  • Options
    Oh Badger...
  • Options
    I Stay in Chiba when visiting Tokyo, Washington Hotel is near the Train Station and is reasonably priced.

Hotel Brighton City is a hotel i stayed in when visiting Kyoto, again reasonably priced and near the subway.

New Osaka Hotel Shinsaibashi in Osaka is also reasonably priced.

Take a look online , Most hotels will offer a discount if you book in advance.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Re: Nara, the Deer Park Inn is a guesthouse/hostel that has private rooms. It's quite basic but it's right inside the Park, so it puts you right next all the things you'll want to see in Nara. You get herds of deer flooding past in the morning, pretty great really, and at a very decent price. Had a good time there.

https://booking.com/hotel/jp/the-deer-park-inn.en-gb.html
  • Options
    If you’re going to Kyoto then go for the full authentic experience and stay in a traditional Ryokan, we stayed in this one.

https://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/ryokan-single/?ryokan=Kyomachiya Ryokan Sakura - Honganji
  • Options
    We stayed between kanda and akihabara, which was on a conecting line between several lines and a fast train across the centre of tokyo so traveling was easy. But in fairness anywhere on a subway line is good. Be carefull not to miss the last train/tube you really realise quite how vast the city is when getting cabs!! Get a suisa card like an oyster card, travel is easy around tokyo in general. Every station has help points in English if you need direction!! There is so much to do in tokyo, could easily spend several weeks there and barely scratch the surface!

We used osaka as a base to see kyoto and nara all easily commutable from there. We stayed 2 stops or half hour walk from the centre. Nara is just a day out really, unless youre into hiking etc.. Got a real soft spot for osaka, quite industrial but we loved it.
  • Options
    I used Airbnb for my accommodation in Tokyo and Osaka. With a family it can save you a fortune. They are slowly licensing establishments for short term rentals as many were removed from the website when Japan changed its laws.

I like the Ueno district in Tokyo, cheaper and less in-your-face than Shinjuku, and the Namba district in Osaka.

You can easily visit Nara on a day trip by train from Kyoto or Osaka so no real need to stay there.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Thanks everyone, some great tips there particularly regarding Nara and staying in Osaka (where my daughter want to visit the exchange student who stayed with us for 3 weeks).
    Tokyo still sounds massive for our humble Perth family and I don't know where to begin but will do lots of readings (that's what work is for...)
    Japan Alps..? Nagano..? Any ideas...?
  • Options

Thanks everyone, some great tips there particularly regarding Nara and staying in Osaka (where my daughter want to visit the exchange student who stayed with us for 3 weeks).
    Tokyo still sounds massive for our humble Perth family and I don't know where to begin but will do lots of readings (that's what work is for...)
    Japan Alps..? Nagano..? Any ideas...?

If you have some spare time and are heading south from Tokyo, Miyazaki down on the south of Kyushu is really tropical with a lovely beach (obviously season dependent).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We stayed at the Disneyland hotel last time, and the Hilton Tokyo Bay the time before. About half an hour to the centre of Tokyo, and you get a Japanese versión of Mickey.

Honestly, Tokyo is one of my favourite cities in the world - the people are great and it just has this amazing mix of cultures. I'm still itching to see the rest of japan - we missed Kyoto as the tour from Tokyo was just too much after an 11 hour flight from Heathrow, but I still hope to go back.
  • Options
    How long are you going for? If it's two weeks or more it's definitely worth looking into the JR Rail Pass, you will save a load on travel and it's such an efficient system that basically most of South/West Japan can be visited in a day trip from Osaka (maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration but cross country transport is very rapid and direct.) I really liked Naoshima, it's a great island to visit if you have the time.
  • Options

How long are you going for? If it's two weeks or more it's definitely worth looking into the JR Rail Pass, you will save a load on travel and it's such an efficient system that basically most of South/West Japan can be visited in a day trip from Osaka (maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration but cross country transport is very rapid and direct.) I really liked Naoshima, it's a great island to visit if you have the time.

we'll be there about 17 days so definitely will get a Rail pass. Will be down in the Kyoto Osaka area for about 10 days so going further south is an option if we can afford it...
    Accommodation ideas + best areas to be based in the big cities are my priority at the moment.
  • Options
    If you're going to Kyoto or Osaka stop for a night in Mount Koya and stay in a Buddhist temple.

Also check if there is a sumo tournament on, it's a great sport which I was expecting.

Should be heading back there for the Olympic. My favourite Country.
  • Options

I used Airbnb for my accommodation in Tokyo and Osaka. With a family it can save you a fortune. They are slowly licensing establishments for short term rentals as many were removed from the website when Japan changed its laws.

I like the Ueno district in Tokyo, cheaper and less in-your-face than Shinjuku, and the Namba district in Osaka.

You can easily visit Nara on a day trip by train from Kyoto or Osaka so no real need to stay there.

Basically what @Bangkokaddick said
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    se9addick said:

If you’re going to Kyoto then go for the full authentic experience and stay in a traditional Ryokan, we stayed in this one.

https://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/ryokan-single/?ryokan=Kyomachiya Ryokan Sakura - Honganji

And we stayed in this one. https://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/ryokan-single/?ryokan=Hiiragiya+Ryokan

Fantastic experience if you are able to do it.