Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Asking for a Pay Rise....How do you broach Subject ?

I have been working for a small firm of two Partners with two other staff since May 2005. In that time I have not received a bonus or a Cost of Living rise since I have joined. Now Bonuses cause problems in small & large companies so not that worried about not receiving one. What does concern me is that a cost of living rise has not even been mentioned. Our Company turnover & profit has increased by about 25-30% in the time I have worked here. I know I should grow a pair & just ask for a rise, but it is really difficult when you are friends with your actual direct report boss (She got me the job in the first place). Any ideas how best to approach this?

Comments

• Options
    I would say have a think about some justifications other than cost of living first. If you can explain in straightforward terms why you feel you deserve a rise you will be more likely to get it.

18months without a rise is not drastically bad in my opinion. I once went three years without one. The last time I asked I was told by my boss that 'I don't do pay rises'. I no longer do working there.
  • Options
    Have you got any appraisal structure. If so bring it up at the next one.

Or coming in late / go home early for a few "dentist / doctors" appointments and make sure you look really extra smart.... They get the drift and bring it up themselves. Ive used this and got a £5k payrise for having 3 lie ins!!!
  • Options
    [cite] kigelia:[/cite]I no longer do working there.

lol
  • Options
    forget the 25-30%...what's that in cash terms ?...then work out what they can afford to cough up...if profit was £100k and went up £25k then your cut is probably worth diddly sqwat...if profit was £1m and went up £250k then they can afford to be generous if the two partners have only got two employees and they will probably be only too happy to get the matter settled if they're looking forward and dont want to rock the boat...and dont sell yourself short on the bonus front if you think you've played your part...
  • Options
    I would have a quiet word with the women you know in a relaxed way, and probably at lunch or after work.

Stress your really happy working there, but noticed that in a year and a half nothing has been mentioned about pay rises, inflation rises etc. Ask her if that's common, or should you be concerned ?

By raising it as a general question it takes off the directness, but at the same time making it clear that you are thinking about it.
  • Options
    Thanks Guys, plenty for me to think about. I suppose getting pissed at the Firm Christmas Party and blurting it all out then is not a good idea ?
  • Options
    Only if your boss is bolloxed as well