Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Headphone Recommendations

Looking to get myself a decent pair of Headphones

Dont really want anything like Bose or Beats etc.

Is anyone able to recommend a good pair with good sound, have been looking @ the Audio Technica M50X yet undecided

Comments

• Any Senhiesers. Thread closed.

I think the HD25s are still the industry standard for sound recording.
  • I have AKG Y50BT (think thats the model) Bluetooth, been very pleased with them, battery lasts ages as well between charges. Comes with a cable also in case battery dies or you don't have Bluetooth on what you want to connect to.
  • bought a decent pair of Phillips a year ago, good sound, Bluetooth, cable too in case battery runs out but been impressed with how long it lasts once charged.
  • I had a set of klipsch headphones x10i, best I ever had but the inevitable happened to them and I replaced them with Senhieser IE80's.
    The Klipsch ones were lighter and a more comfortable fit. Maybe sounded a little better.
    Klipsch every time.
  • Check out Treblab headphones on Amazon, I have a pair of X5 wireless earbuds, good sound and great battery life.
  • Was thinking getting some Airpods, seen some fairly average reviews of them and a bloke at work has just lost his (a concern of mine) - should I reconsider?

I had some Soundmagic e10s which were pretty great (cheaper and wired), but recently broke.
  • EastStand said:

Any Senhiesers. Thread closed.

I think the HD25s are still the industry standard for sound recording.

Sennheiser would be my recommendation too. I've found most of its products to be better than other brands' similarly priced headphones/earphones. Very reliable and quality products.

Sennheiser is very good for bass too if that suits your interests
  • Sony WH-1000XM2.

Although expensive, best I've ever had and well worth the money - you can get these for under £200
  • +1 Sennheiser
    And not Beats, toy headphones for posers :neutral:
  • Sponsored links:

• Audiotechnica ATH-SR5BT are what I rock at the moment. For £100 you won't find much better.

If you want in-ears, then Beyerdynamic Byrons for £40 are very very good.
  • Also worth bearing in mind what type of headphone you want. In ear, on ear or over ear.

I prefer over ears - they provide better noise reduction as they cover your ears completely (duh), and tend to provide better sound quality. Check out this guide if you wanna read more: http://www.audiogurus.com/learn/headphones/in-ear-on-ear-over-ear-headphones/208.

I've got a pair of Senhieser HD 4.30s and they're great value for money.
  • edited August 2018
    EastStand said:

Also worth bearing in mind what type of headphone you want. In ear, on ear or over ear.

I prefer over ears - they provide better noise reduction as they cover your ears completely (duh), and tend to provide better sound quality. Check out this guide if you wanna read more: http://www.audiogurus.com/learn/headphones/in-ear-on-ear-over-ear-headphones/208.

I've got a pair of Senhieser HD 4.30s and they're great value for money.

Usually I've gone for in ear yet my current ones (which I'm going to replace) are hurting a little bit so for when I'm in the house I want to get some over ears so can relax and listen to music / watch a film whilst the missus is down the end of the living room watching TV

Really appreciate everyone's advice so far too
  • What's your price bracket @ForeverAddickted If you don't want to spend a lot, I have the Phillips SHB7000 which do a job. Cheap and cheerful, no noise cancellation or any of that stuff that sky rockets the price and generally increases the weight.
  • No point spending silly money if you are only listening to mp3s.
    £35 - Beyerdynamic - Byron

Studio recording headphones are not suitable for listening to mp3s.

If your pockets are deeper and you are listening to uncompressed music then I'd suggest the Shure SE425's. You'll pick a pair up for less than £200 If you shop around.

One final thing, be careful if buying expensive tech on ebay or Amazon. I've heard some horror stories with people buying knock-off gear.
  • £200 for headphones is mental chaps. Just saying.
  • Dazzler21 said:

What's your price bracket @ForeverAddickted If you don't want to spend a lot, I have the Phillips SHB7000 which do a job. Cheap and cheerful, no noise cancellation or any of that stuff that sky rockets the price and generally increases the weight.

Looking to go no more than £100 to be honest... I'm always wary with Sound Technology as have spent money in the past on some proper rubbish which was partly why I wanted to get some advice on here
    PopIcon said:

No point spending silly money if you are only listening to mp3s.

If your pockets are deeper and you are listening to uncompressed music then I'd suggest the Shure SE425's. You'll pick a pair up for less than £200 If you shop around.

One final thing, be careful if buying expensive tech on ebay or Amazon. I've heard some horror stories with people buying knock-off gear.

Cheers for the warning about Ebay / Amazon, was having a look around on the former this more and came across some M50X's for £27.99 (brand new - Buy It Now), just laughed and moved on seeing that any where else they're about £110
  • Dazzler21 said:

What's your price bracket @ForeverAddickted If you don't want to spend a lot, I have the Phillips SHB7000 which do a job. Cheap and cheerful, no noise cancellation or any of that stuff that sky rockets the price and generally increases the weight.

Looking to go no more than £100 to be honest... I'm always wary with Sound Technology as have spent money in the past on some proper rubbish which was partly why I wanted to get some advice on here
    PopIcon said:

Cheers for the warning about Ebay / Amazon, was having a look around on the former this more and came across some M50X's for £27.99 (brand new - Buy It Now), just laughed and moved on seeing that any where else they're about £110
    I'd only shop at reputable store, see a couple below.

richersounds.com
    www.gak.co.uk
  • Dazzler21 said:

£200 for headphones is mental chaps. Just saying.

Not for listening to any symphony orchestra recording it isn't.
  • Sponsored links:

• PopIcon said:

Dazzler21 said:

PopIcon said:

I'd only shop at reputable store, see a couple below.

richersounds.com
    www.gak.co.uk
    Worth noting most stores now also sell through eBay and Amazon - you can see the seller profile on both sites.
  • Any thoughts on Marley? Just had a pair of wired ones that retail for about £40 and they broke on me. They were a gift. I quite liked the sound and am thinking about buying a wired pair which are on sale on amazon and in HMV for £40 allegedly down from £70. Don’t want to pay silly money. Like the OP it’s for occasional home listening. Tried a pair of Sony in curry’s the other day which sounded the mutts nuts but they were 239 smackers.
  • standard ipad viewing/music commute to work have rockjaw ones off amazon pretty good and ample qaulity for me were around 50
  • edited August 2018
    I just don’t think you can beat noise cancelling headphones unless you’re a real geek or using them professionally. I can sit in the same room as a tv where the wife is watching some shite and not be disturbed from what I’m listening to or watching at all.
  • PaddyP17 said:

If you want in-ears, then Beyerdynamic Byrons for £40 are very very good.

I got a pair of these last year after reading a lot of good reviews.

I was more in the ‘£15 on sale’ ballpark before and could tell the difference in quality, but was less impressed when the left side stopped working six months later (and which seemed a common problem according to feedback on Amazon).

However, was able to get them replaced by the company that distributes them in the UK after contacting Beyerdynamic through their website - so on that basis they are probably worth the money.
  • I'd like to think I've got a good ear for sound quality and have spent a lot of money on headphones over the years. I've got a gorgeous pair of bose headphones for indoors and grudgingly using on planes that cost more than I'm prepared to sdmit

My last purchase was a pair for the gym and when mincing about up town. They cost about 20 quid off Amazon and are called vava move. In ear Bluetooth ones, the battery lasts an unnatural amount of time and they are the most comfortable in ear headphones I've ever used. Sound quality is absolutely fine
  • Sennheiser never seem to last long enough. Soundpeats are reasonably priced and good quality. The reviews are good.
  • I have these, they are really great, expensive, but can pass the @Dazzler21 £200 barrier if you shop around.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/sony-mdr-1000x
  • I've got odd ears, apparently, and can wear in ear headphones on a treadmill, but when I take them outside they fall out. Got over ear Philips headphones (superb) but they steam my head after a long run
  • Sennheiser are good, but I've found the wired versions don't last very long, even just as a result of rolling them for storage in a case.

Recently bought Bang & Olufsen wireless, in ear, phones for the bus journey for work - really good sound and surprisingly comfortable for the length of time used, but I don't recommend long term use (multiple hours) of any in ear phones, ear infections are all to easy to come by.

Unlike others, I would recommend using Amazon, but I concentrate on Warehouse Deals, for items with damaged packaging only (advertised as "like new", very occasionally "very good").

If looking for headphones between now and, to pluck a date out of the air, 30 March 2019, I might even be inclined to look at the other EU Amazon sites. ( things can be cheaper).