Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Norwich City paint away changing room pink to lower opponents testosterone

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/ncfc-tactic-pink-changing-rooms-1-5657501

Be interesting to see if it actually has any effect. Sounds like a load of bollocks to me.

Comments

• Options
    Interesting. If there are enough studies to show that this works then surely Norwich are guilty of at least ungentlemanly conduct or perhaps even cheating ?
  • Options
    Yeah was surprised to read that it was banned in American football so must be something in it, although that being the case surprised it hasn't been done over here before. Dunno what the football league will make of it. Reminds me a bit of that time when Chelsea changed their keepers kit colour as it hits the eyes faster which made me laugh because surely that helps the striker as much as anything
  • Options
    There are plenty of things that the home clubs do to make the away teams dressing room uncomfortable for the home side to gain an advantage, why would painting the walls a specific colour because it has had some form of evidence of gaining an advantage for the other team cheating?

In my opinion, it’s clever. There is no real significant difference between having the most basic of changing rooms in comparison to the most luxurious one than the colour on the wall.

If it bothers clubs that much, I am sure they can put something up to cover the colour on the wall. But I most certainly wouldn’t call it cheating.
  • Options

Interesting. If there are enough studies to show that this works then surely Norwich are guilty of at least ungentlemanly conduct or perhaps even cheating ?

Man citys home dressing room is round and superbly appointed. The away is square with a pillar so when the manager gives his team talk not everyone can see him.
  • Options
    Sage said:

There are plenty of things that the home clubs do to make the away teams dressing room uncomfortable for the home side to gain an advantage, why would painting the walls a specific colour because it has had some form of evidence of gaining an advantage for the other team cheating?

In my opinion, it’s clever. There is no real significant difference between having the most basic of changing rooms in comparison to the most luxurious one than the colour on the wall.

If it bothers clubs that much, I am sure they can put something up to cover the colour on the wall. But I most certainly wouldn’t call it cheating.

I’m not suggesting it isn’t uncommon in football but still smacks of trying to gain an unfair advantage.

Perhaps I’m getting too old but I like to think you win by playing the game not trying to gain an extra advantage wherever you can.
  • Options
    Standard tactic in football and fair game. I think the away dressing room at the old den had no heating.
  • Options
    One of Garry Nelson's books lists various stunts pulled by home clubs against the away team during his career.

He says something along the lines of we've all played away and put up with blah, blah blah and come away with 3 points.
  • Options

Sage said:

I’m not suggesting it isn’t uncommon in football but still smacks of trying to gain an unfair advantage.

Perhaps I’m getting too old but I like to think you win by playing the game not trying to gain an extra advantage wherever you can.
    But is it an unfair advantage? Every club will do the same type of thing, Charlton is no different I am sure, and it has been going on for years. The length of the grass, the size and shape of changing rooms, the colours on the walls, the facility differences, smells, toilets and showers not working on purpose, how close the fans are to pitch, the location of away fans in a stadium, every bit is to gain an extra advantage.

When you’re the home team, another club is coming to your territory. Home advantage is a big part of sports psychology in contemporary life, part and parcel of the game really.
  • Options
    The truth is that Delia bought FAR too much of the pink stuff for her boudoir so......

:smile:
  • Options
    Sage said:

Sage said:

But is it an unfair advantage? Every club will do the same type of thing, Charlton is no different I am sure, and it has been going on for years. The length of the grass, the size and shape of changing rooms, the colours on the walls, the facility differences, smells, toilets and showers not working on purpose, how close the fans are to pitch, the location of away fans in a stadium, every bit is to gain an extra advantage.

When you’re the home team, another club is coming to your territory. Home advantage is a big part of sports psychology in contemporary life, part and parcel of the game really.
    You only have to look at the dugouts at the Valley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    jac52 said:

Yeah was surprised to read that it was banned in American football so must be something in it, although that being the case surprised it hasn't been done over here before. Dunno what the football league will make of it. Reminds me a bit of that time when Chelsea changed their keepers kit colour as it hits the eyes faster which made me laugh because surely that helps the striker as much as anything

Not sure I’d take the fact something is done in America as being proof of anything other than it’s done in America.

I would think the science behind colours affecting hormone levels is very insubstantial.
  • Options
    On a recent trip back to the UK, we did the guided tour of Old Trafford which was a really great experience.

Interestingly the home dressing room is pretty plush and fitted with the latest technological screens for half time, but is certainly fairly snug in size, certainly when you consider it houses the eighteen fully grown men in the match day squad.

The away dressing room is about half the size again, and has nothing in the way of technology, it also has wooden benches rather than the cushioned ones the home team has.

One thing that did get mentioned, was that apparently Barcelona deck out everything in their away dressing room in battle ship grey colour, in an attempt to depress and stifle the mood of the away team.

I remember thinking that any team that was about to face Messi and Suarez leading the line, that was probably enough to depress their mood anyhow!
  • Options

Standard tactic in football and fair game. I think the away dressing room at the old den had no heating.

A bit like The Valley and Sparrows Lane.
  • Options

jac52 said:

I would think the science behind colours affecting hormone levels is very insubstantial.
    Might be worth reading up on that as it's anything but insubstantial. The psychology of colours is a very real thing.
  • Options
    I must be getting old....when you think your players aren’t good enough surely it’s time to make some changes to the team, not the colour of the away team dressing room...
  • Options
    Yeah, I reckon if we painted the away team dressing room grey at The Valley then we might just nick a point against Scunthorpe rather than getting turned over.

In the brilliant Left Foot Forward the legendary Garry Nelson mentioned the following tactics employed by Wimbledon back in the day at Plough Lane....

- Turn up dressing room central heating to 30 degrees roasting hot

- Put salt in the tea urn

- Supply deflated practice balls

- Cold water only in the showers

- Deafening music pumping into your dressing room so loud you could not hear the managers team talk
  • Options
    Apparently looking at pictures of naked ladies raises testosterone (in heterosexual men). I’m not sure it would give a team an advantage if the home changing room was decorated floor to ceiling in centrefolds like an 80s construction site portakabin

• Options
    jac52 said:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/ncfc-tactic-pink-changing-rooms-1-5657501

Be interesting to see if it actually has any effect. Sounds like a load of bollocks to me.

Was this done before or after West Brom put four past them in the first game at Carrow Road this season?

Sage said:

Over the years countless teams have put out better sides than us and/or employed better tactics. I think that's more unsporting ... :wink:
  • Options

Yeah, I reckon if we painted the away team dressing room grey at The Valley then we might just nick a point against Scunthorpe rather than getting turned over.

In the brilliant Left Foot Forward the legendary Garry Nelson mentioned the following tactics employed by Wimbledon back in the day at Plough Lane....

- Deafening music pumping into your dressing room so loud you could not hear the managers team talk

And make the floor wet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whoever plays them next should take a big tin of red paint and a couple of rollers!
  • Options
    There's a prison in America where the warden makes the inmates wear pink uniform to help keep them undr control
  • Options

Similar stories of Cambridge under John Beck.

http://theinsideleft.com/john-beck-cambridge/

Faced with the prospect of superior opposition, Beck’s tactics got more extreme and the manager cranked gamesmanship up to the max. The team trained on the playing surface at the Abbey Stadium to try and make passing football as difficult as possible, while the grass in the corners of the pitch was grown extra long to help hold the ball up. Opposition complained of boiling hot dressing rooms, deflated practice balls and tea topped up with a whole bag of sugar.
  • Options

Think all this gamesmanship and psychology shit in trying to get a minute advantage is pretty pathetic to be honest. Just have your players prepared as well as you can and go out and beat the fuckers.

It's called home advantage, Shooters.
    In their own way, each and every club does it.

It's ever been thus.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Think all this gamesmanship and psychology shit in trying to get a minute advantage is pretty pathetic to be honest. Just have your players prepared as well as you can and go out and beat the fuckers.

It's ever been thus.

I wonder what our approach is... ;)
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

It's ever been thus.

Away team advantage?
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Similar stories of Cambridge under John Beck.

http://theinsideleft.com/john-beck-cambridge/

Faced with the prospect of superior opposition, Beck’s tactics got more extreme and the manager cranked gamesmanship up to the max. The team trained on the playing surface at the Abbey Stadium to try and make passing football as difficult as possible, while the grass in the corners of the pitch was grown extra long to help hold the ball up. Opposition complained of boiling hot dressing rooms, deflated practice balls and tea topped up with a whole bag of sugar.
    Yep, Beck also pioneered giving ball boys a towel to dry the ball for attacking throw ins and also used to dump huge loads of sands in the corners so that long balls hit into the corners would hold up there and stay in play.
  • Options
    I remember back at the end of the 80s playing for my club's reserves away at Home Park, Plymouth Argyle.

The Away dressing room was unheated and stark, like a prison cell ....... walls of unplastered breezeblock painted faded pale blue about 10 years before, with a tiny barred window high in the middle of one wall. Bare wooden benches and the bath of cracked old white tiles.

We had a quick gander at the Home dressing room with all it's creature comforts.
    It's called home advantage.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

It's ever been thus.

We send someone in to nick all the post-match vol-au-vents.