Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What is your favorite UNESCO World Heritage Site?

Comments

• Options
    Liked Malacca in Malaysia, cool town to walk around with a vibrant market. Macchu Picchu was pretty impressive as well. Took the train there, none of this walking shit.
    You done the right thing, trek there was crap.
    We did the Lares route then the train, as we went in February & the trail was closed.
    Hardly anyone there & managed to go to the top of Wayna Pikchu. Which I think they stopped you doing now as it’s pretty dangerous.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Fiiiiiish said:
    Ancient City of Sigiriya in Sri Lanka

200m high granite rock, surrounded by the jungle, incredible views from the top and amazing to think they managed to build a fortified Palace of splendor right at the top back in the 5th Century.

The hydraulic system for the canals, lakes, dams, bridges, fountains and underground water pumps still provides water to the site’s gardens

Evidence the caves were inhabited over 5000 years ago, really is a great site. 
    One hell of a climb up there, especially if you're a mad dog who does it in the mid day sun.

Mind you the red bananas are fabulous.
    It was so worth the climb!
  • Options
    Anywhere in the Lebanon sites, Baalbek and Aanjar in the Bekaa Valley, Tyre, Sidon or Byblos on the coast - not that many will be visiting at the moment - I've missed out on the Kadisha Valley - next visit for sure.

There's only two sites in Haiti, though I think they should add Tortuga and Ile a Vache (to say nothing of the wonderful distilleries), but I hope to visit the Palace of Sans Souci and the nearby Citadel some time, the closest I got was Gonaives.

Fabulous rum....
  • Options
    Jerusalem, I am not religious, but was really touched by the place., The pyramids, had breakfast at the Mena House Oberoi, and watched the sunrise. The White Cliffs with a Spitfire and Hurricane flying over them, at Capel Le Ferne , always teary eyed!
  • Options
    Ankor Watt 
  • Options
    Having visited quite a number of amazing WHSs the one that satisfied me most was St Kilda, 64km out into the Atlantic west of Outer Hebrides and doubly designated for wildlife and cultural reasons.  A remote place with dramatic scenery, fantastic sea bird colonies and a sad air of desolation due to the remains of the village which the last residents left in the 1930s.
  • Options
    Not sure if its been mentioned already, but Angkor Wat in Cambodia was truly breath-taking for the scale of the place and history. Just way too busy with tourists like me.
  • Options
    Lewisham clock tower
    Ruined when they moved it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:
    Fiiiiiish said:
    Ancient City of Sigiriya in Sri Lanka

200m high granite rock, surrounded by the jungle, incredible views from the top and amazing to think they managed to build a fortified Palace of splendor right at the top back in the 5th Century.

The hydraulic system for the canals, lakes, dams, bridges, fountains and underground water pumps still provides water to the site’s gardens

Evidence the caves were inhabited over 5000 years ago, really is a great site. 
    One hell of a climb up there, especially if you're a mad dog who does it in the mid day sun.

Mind you the red bananas are fabulous.

Absolutely on both counts.

Also a shout out to the massive wasps on the rock that get angry if they think its a bit too loud, which is just what you want to see when doing the walk. 
  • Options
    Probably said already but The Valley.
  • Options
    Phew. At least Liverpool has been replaced by a disused Welsh slate quarry, so our numbers are back up again.
  • Options
    Ankor Watt 
    A great shout, just a shame everything around it is so awful. Should move the entire thing to Kampot.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    It seems a shame that they knocked down the Den when they did, as surely that would have qualified in spades.
  • Options
    Machu Pichu for me although I loved Ankor Thom. 
  • Options
    My top 3 World Heritage sites are 1) Dubrovnik, Croatia (bias perhaps as my Mum is from there, but nothing can take the memories of my running around a huge ‘castle’ in wonderment as a kid every summer) and the sea which surrounds it is to die for. 2) Avignon, France - stunning place to visit and the home of Chateau Neuf du Pape - bonnet de duche. 3) Lucca, Italy - another stunning town in Tuscany and home of a summer festival which World famous musicians flock too. Who wouldn’t in those stunning historic surroundings.
    Sorry to sound pedantic, but the 'home' of Châteauneuf-du-Pape wine is Châteauneuf-du-Pape!  ;) 
    Quite right, apologies, I bought a lot of it from Avignon when there, but the link was that the village named it after the Pope when he moved to Avignon from Rome (I think…)
    I’m on holiday in the region right now!
    Small village called St Geniès-de-Comolas, about 13km west of Chateauneuf-du-pape - which we’ll be visiting in the next couple of days.
    Been to Avignon, St Remy, Carpentras, Gordes and the Lavender monastery plus La roque-sur-Cêze so far. Stunning region. Absolutely beautiful.

• Options
    No contest for me. The Taj Mahal.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    I haven’t been to Liverpool for 8/9 years, but they must have seriously messed up the area for Unesco to exclude them, as they tend to stick with the places on the list and help with improvements etc. 
    Liverpool is a shithole. 
    If Hitler had of concentrated on bombing it instead of London and Coventry he would have done us a favour. 

If any snowflakes are offended by this.

Tough, get a life. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My top 3 World Heritage sites are 1) Dubrovnik, Croatia (bias perhaps as my Mum is from there, but nothing can take the memories of my running around a huge ‘castle’ in wonderment as a kid every summer) and the sea which surrounds it is to die for. 2) Avignon, France - stunning place to visit and the home of Chateau Neuf du Pape - bonnet de duche. 3) Lucca, Italy - another stunning town in Tuscany and home of a summer festival which World famous musicians flock too. Who wouldn’t in those stunning historic surroundings.
    Sorry to sound pedantic, but the 'home' of Châteauneuf-du-Pape wine is Châteauneuf-du-Pape!  ;) 
    Quite right, apologies, I bought a lot of it from Avignon when there, but the link was that the village named it after the Pope when he moved to Avignon from Rome (I think…)
    I’m on holiday in the region right now!
    Small village called St Geniès-de-Comolas, about 13km west of Chateauneuf-du-pape - which we’ll be visiting in the next couple of days.
    Been to Avignon, St Remy, Carpentras, Gordes and the Lavender monastery plus La roque-sur-Cêze so far. Stunning region. Absolutely beautiful.

It's gorgeous. I highly recommend the Pont du Gard and Arles too if you haven't seen those yet. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    I haven’t been to Liverpool for 8/9 years, but they must have seriously messed up the area for Unesco to exclude them, as they tend to stick with the places on the list and help with improvements etc. 
    Liverpool is a shithole. 
    If Hitler had of concentrated on bombing it instead of London and Coventry he would have done us a favour. 

If any snowflakes are offended by this.

Tough, get a life. 
    👏
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Avebury for me. Stonehenge is amazing, but Avebury felt more special every time I have been there. There are other prehistoric sites that I have stronger feelings for above Avebury,  alas they are seeming not special enough for Unesco.
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/XLXX5e9u2GU

For anyone interested in an informed piece on the UNESCO decision to 'delist'  Liverpool the link above discusses the issue with Professor Michael Parkinson of Liverpool University. Professor Parkinson has been closely involved with regeneration issues in Liverpool for many years.
  • Options
    Architectural Taliban?

Those UNESCO heretics just don't appreciate modern symbolism and Avant Garde art.

In your Liverpool slumsquot  Well I found them and they are t  Flickr
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Architectural Taliban?

Those UNESCO heretics just don't appreciate modern symbolism and Avant Garde art.

In your Liverpool slumsquot  Well I found them and they are t  Flickr
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/Georgian-Quarter-94280.html
  • Options
    Liverpool should never have been on the list in the first place, it's an insult to the prestige of those that are there legitimately. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Liverpool should never have been on the list in the first place, it's an insult to the prestige of those that are there legitimately. 
    Next time you are up this way, Husky, give me a shout and I'll show you around  ;)