Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

SUNDERLAND 2 CHARLTON 1 - 4th August 2018

SUNDERLAND 2 (Maja 65, Gooch 90+6) CHARLTON 1 (Taylor 10)

Attendance 31,079 (770 Charlton)

Sunderland McLaughlin, Matthews, Loovens, Ozturk, Maguire, Honeyman, Gooch, O’Nien (Sinclair 46), Love (Oviedo 26), Maja, Mumba.

Charlton Phillips, Solly, Bauer, Pearce (Sarr 90), Page, Marshall, Pratley, Aribo, Lapslie, Grant, Taylor.

Summary

Tough opener for the Addicks (carrying a small squad decimated further by a savage injury list) looked at one point being the dream start to the season. Lyle Taylor's early penalty after Karlan Grant was clearly impeded was just rewards for a strong first half. But Sunderland got on top as the second half progressed. Just when it looked like Charlton would hold on for a point, Gooch popped up with a winner in the last min of time added on. How very Charlton...

Post Match comments

Bowyer: “It always hurts to concede that late on. The lads gave me everything, they didn’t deserve to lose that and come away with nothing. A draw was probably a fair result.

“We were the better side first half, they were the better side second half – it is what it is. Everyone is gutted because we put so much into it. We’re a depleted squad, we’re down to our bare bones and the lads gave everything.

“To lose the way we did, hurts. The first goal shouldn’t have happened. He was allowed to turn on the edge of the box and get a free shot off and that should never happen. The second was a great delivery and his momentum got on the end of the cross in front of Pagey who wasn’t in a bad position. It was just a great ball and a great finish.

“Today we’ve come to Sunderland and we didn’t deserve to lose.”

Lewis Page: “It was gutting to lose. First half, I thought we played really well and I thought that we had our shape pretty much spot on.

“There are a lot of positives that we can take from it and we will do. We’ve got 45 games to go now, so we’ll take the positives and move onto to the next one where we can hopefully get three points.

“It was a game of two halves. Sunderland put us under a lot of pressure in the second half and I’m sure they will be there or thereabouts this season. Hopefully we can do a job on Shrewsbury next weekend, get our own back, get some points on the board and set ourselves off on a run.”

STATBANK Player Marks

Aribo = 7.07
Taylor = 6.88
Grant = 6.72
Pratley = 6.66
Solly = 6.50
Lapslie = 6.41
Marshall = 6.36
Pearce = 6.27
Bauer = 6.16
Page = 5.96
Phillips = 5.87

Team Average = 6.44

@SE7toSG3 :Just back in from the game, awful 6 hours to get up there with the A1 shut in three places but the premier inn bar did @charltonnick and I proud. Sunderland not as rundown as I remembered a fair few decent pre match boozers and the fans museum was good value as @clive will testify.

Onto the game, we were excellent first half, supporters and the team, should have been more than one up at the break and the home fans were not happy. They made two changes shortly after that completely changed the game and put us on the back foot, injuries to both Solly and Pearce exposed our fragility amd empty bench and I suspect both Pratley and Taylor were not 100 matchfit, all of which contributed to such a painful ending as we just ran out of steam.

96 minute goals that lead to defeat have in the past ruined my weekend, but this time, not really, my expectations, along with the several hundred addicks who made the long journey for a lunchtime kick off were so low that we just sort of dealt with it.

Matchday Links

Preview
Match Thread
Post Match Views
Player Marks Thread
Statbank

Return to 2018/19 fixtures HERE

(image taken from cafc.co.uk)