Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cat deterrents

Comments

• Options
    Get a waterspray (of the sort used to mist houseplants). Spraying the cats with water - they won't like it, it won't harm them, and they'll work out a different route to avoid it.

Now, if anyone has something to get rid of foxes, that'd be great. 2 coming in to the conservatory at night, having a shit, generally making a mess, buggering off. Dog ignores them (er, the deal is meant to be: dog warns of house intruders by barking loudly, in return, dog gets food and walks...). Tried blocking the catflap for a month; the cats were really fed up being kept in and the first night the block was removed, the foxes were in again (thought being that after a month, they'd have given up and not have the conservatory as part of their nightly patrol). And it's too hot to keep the cats in at the moment anyway.

The problem is of course the council's dual policy of grey bins for food waste and not emptying the local rubbish bins frequently, meaning foxes are well fed and breeding like... foxes. grrrr
  • Options
    TeslaGirl said:

Get a waterspray (of the sort used to mist houseplants). Spraying the cats with water - they won't like it, it won't harm them, and they'll work out a different route to avoid it.

Now, if anyone has something to get rid of foxes, that'd be great. 2 coming in to the conservatory at night, having a shit, generally making a mess, buggering off. Dog ignores them (er, the deal is meant to be: dog warns of house intruders by barking loudly, in return, dog gets food and walks...). Tried blocking the catflap for a month; the cats were really fed up being kept in and the first night the block was removed, the foxes were in again (thought being that after a month, they'd have given up and not have the conservatory as part of their nightly patrol). And it's too hot to keep the cats in at the moment anyway.

The problem is of course the council's dual policy of grey bins for food waste and not emptying the local rubbish bins frequently, meaning foxes are well fed and breeding like... foxes. grrrr

It's male human piss again for foxes. Why don't you fit a magnetic cat flap that only the cats can get in and out of? Fox shit is the most acrid, evil smelling animal shite of all

• Options
    Carter said:

TeslaGirl said:

It's male human piss again for foxes. Why don't you fit a magnetic cat flap that only the cats can get in and out of? Fox shit is the most acrid, evil smelling animal shite of all

The pissing just seemed to make the shitting worse in my experience.

Don't know if that's a term of affection or the stench of it gives them bad guts?
  • Options
    I will try to find an ameniable bloke to piss all over my back garden... I guess it's worth a try?

My cats are all nervous types ('unrehomable' according to the rescue place they came from) - I've had them a year and a half and wouldn't be able to get collars on them (can't pick them up yet; we are taking things very slowly), so collars/matching catflap isn't an option.

Perhaps I should ask our very own vinegar pisser to come and help?!
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    limeygent said:

Can't imagine why lion shit is preferable to cat shit?

Maybe it smells less and because you place it say under the roses, or on a stone, it’s not all over the lawn where the kids are playing?
  • Options

clb74 said:

Can anyone please recommend deterrents for cats that actually work?

Both sides of neighbours have them and all coming into the garden and shitting all over it which is a pain as having to clear it up every day before letting the kids out there.

Can't really ask the neighbours to stop it as impossible to control cats other than lock them in and don't want to get into petty acts of lobbing it over fences as it achieves nothing and doesn't solve the problem.

A very first world problem I know but any suggestions that have worked for you will be gratefully received.

Cheers

Work out what cat belongs to what garden and throw the cat shit back in thier garden
    I wonder what Blackpool72's deterrent is?!!!!!!
    If I posted that on here I'd probably get banned.
    T'was a cracking story.
  • Options

I'm having the exact same problem Rodders.

Tried Jeyes fluid. Carter's pi55 technique. Nothing seems to work.
    Seriously f****** g me off now. I bloody hate cats with a passion. Do cats shit in their own gardens? Things should be kept on a bloody lead.

You can't beat a ginger pussy.
  • Options
    My two boys do their business in their own garden so it’s not an issue for my neighbours but I’ve experienced a few rogue cats trying to start shit in my garden over the years with the cats I’ve had and the one thing I’ve found to eventually work is water. It doesn’t hurt the cats but they soon learn that getting a fully charged blast from a Super Soaker isn’t desirable. Hose pipes work a treat too.
    I’ve also seen these rollers that you can get to attach to the top of your fence and when a cat jumps up the rollers spin and they can’t get purchase. Not sure how much they cost, not cheap probably.
  • Options

limeygent said:

Maybe it Semele less and because you place it say under the roses, or on a stone, it’s not all over the lawn where the kids are playing?
    Don't fancy placing lion shit anywhere, personally.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

limeygent said:

Maybe it Semele less and because you place it say under the roses, or on a stone, it’s not all over the lawn where the kids are playing?
    Don't fancy placing lion shit anywhere, personally.
    I've seen it work with my own eyes.
    Took some home to keep Cougars away too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Arghh my girlfriend is 3 years older than me, is she a Cougar?
  • Options
    TeslaGirl said:

Add to that the stupid fuckers who feed them!
  • Options
    Have just been waiting for a bus and a beautiful ginger one scuttled across the road narrowly missing a car.

I was so happy it did not come to grief.
  • Options
    TeslaGirl said:

I will try to find an ameniable bloke to piss all over my back garden... I guess it's worth a try?

My cats are all nervous types ('unrehomable' according to the rescue place they came from) - I've had them a year and a half and wouldn't be able to get collars on them (can't pick them up yet; we are taking things very slowly), so collars/matching catflap isn't an option.

Are they not chipped?

Our catflap works using the chip, sureflap is the brand I think.
  • Options
    Couple of years back I declared war on the cats in my locality. I bought the electronic devices, had water pistols to hand and secured the vulnerable points on fencing and barriers. Within two weeks the war was over … and I had lost.

I conceded defeat when I returned home to find black cat stretching out on the lawn, whilst his mate Ginge was sitting atop of the compost heap container, sunning himself without a care in the World. Black cat incidentally was a couple of feet from the electronic device. Worse still was the smug look on their faces which was of superiority and victory.

My advice is to somehow try and co-exist with these devils incarnate, you will not win and it is far easier and less stressful in the long run to accept your position in the pecking order i.e. second.
  • Options
    Thanks all.
  • Options
    That's the other thing you can do, feed the foxes. They won't shit in your garden then
  • Options
    Try spraying white vinegar in the spots they like to crap on. We managed to get rid of three who were crapping in our garden regularly this way.
  • Options

TeslaGirl said:

Are they not chipped?

Our catflap works using the chip, sureflap is the brand I think.
    Yep, and Catmate do chip activated flaps too. Sureflap do one with an app which sends you notifications when the cats go in and out and you can lock them in remotely.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cwarter said:

That's the other thing you can do, feed the foxes. They won't shit in your garden then

Under no circumstances should people feed foxes.....selfish feckers who are largely responsible(amongst other considerations), for the proliferation of the fox population in city areas.
    Foxes are without doubt dirty, smelly, loathsome pests, who shit and piss wherever they fancy and whenever they fancy.
    The idealised picture of those charming little cubs running about the place we see on wildlife calendars doesn’t last long before they become filthy adults and they very soon start to encroach on the neighbourhood.
    I would endorse immediate eradication of all town/city foxes without a second thought.

• Options
    The sick cat decided to crawl into my wardrobe last night and piss into an old pair of trainers.

The Mrs caught him, but do wonder how many times he has done something like this without us knowing!

If you smell cat pee on someone at the valley, give me some slack please.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    TeslaGirl said:

Assuming they are chipped you can get cat flaps which work off the chip. You just program the flaps to open for each cat that's chipped. (If you'll pardon the expression).

**edit just spotted the two postings above about chips**
  • Options

Couple of years back I declared war on the cats in my locality. I bought the electronic devices, had water pistols to hand and secured the vulnerable points on fencing and barriers. Within two weeks the war was over … and I had lost.

I conceded defeat when I returned home to find black cat stretching out on the lawn, whilst his mate Ginge was sitting atop of the compost heap container, sunning himself without a care in the World. Black cat incidentally was a couple of feet from the electronic device. Worse still was the smug look on their faces which was of superiority and victory.

My advice is to somehow try and co-exist with these devils incarnate, you will not win and it is far easier and less stressful in the long run to accept your position in the pecking order i.e. second.

Great post, albeit totally out of keeping with the resilience and spirit of resistance that Charlton fans are famed for.:-)

• Options
    They are upping their game. For the past week we have woken up every morning to find a dead baby mouse in the garden as well as the customary shit.
    Just before this I think I saw the culprit when I came down to get a glass of water in the middle of the night there was a creepy looking black cat, that I've never seen in the neighborhood before sitting on the railway sleepers intently staring into the house. I tried to out stare it but it didn't move.
    Frantically Searched for the back door key in the dark and it slowly started walking away from the house.
    I think it may be someone I wronged in a previous life and he's come back as a cat to terrorise me!
  • Options

The sick cat decided to crawl into my wardrobe last night and piss into an old pair of trainers.

The Mrs caught him, but do wonder how many times he has done something like this without us knowing!

If you smell cat pee on someone at the valley, give me some slack please.

So for the past 5 years you have been wearing odour eaters unnecessarily!
  • Options
    Thanks for the chip-sensitive flap suggestions - will investigate...
  • Options
    This’ll reach page 1199 easy...
  • Options

I'm having the exact same problem Rodders.

Tried Jeyes fluid. Carter's pi55 technique. Nothing seems to work.
    Seriously f****** g me off now. I bloody hate cats with a passion. Do cats shit in their own gardens? Things should be kept on a bloody lead.

You can't beat a ginger pussy.
    Unless you are both consenting.
  • Options
    My friend had a tom popping in through his cat flap after his cats and was spraying up the place. One night he came down for a glass of water and saw the cat sleeping on the back of his settee. He removed his slipper, charged the cat whilst shouting at the top of his voice. He delivered a blow sending the cat to the other side of the room.

Surprised it did not then run off, he switched on the light.

Staring it him with puzzled eyes was his sons girlfriend, who then got up and retrieved her wig. By then the whole household was awake and able to enjoy his embarrassment.