Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

TRIGGER WARNING: Wolves keeper Rui Patricio to wear no.11

Comments

• Options
    This is worse than the time that Lewis Page wore 2 and Kashi wore 3.
  • Options
    I’m sure I saw Dave Shipperley wear No9, but play as center half. Shocking.
  • Options
    Great gesture....but that No 11 just looks wrong

But not as wrong as Stuart Balmer 1, Bob Bolder 2 though!

• Options
    edited August 2018

Alphabetical in those days, loved balmer.
  • Options
    Is Carl Ikeme dead?
  • Options
    In remission and retired form the game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

Respect to Carl Ikeme and it's nice that Wolves have made a gesture, but retiring a number is that forever? It's gonna seem a bit odd in 30 years time, especially if (hopefully) he's walking around as right as rain.

Lots of numbers have been retired, not alwats when someone dies and sometimes its only briefly.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_retired_numbers_in_association_football
  • Options
    What’s a Trigger warning ?
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Its basically a warning that it could trigger something.

Its used alot on forums and facebook groups for mental health, before people read on, for example if someone is writting about a recent suicide attempt the post will start with Trigger Warning Suicide Attempt, that way if certain triggers send people off they know not to read that post.

I think @Callumcafc was using it in a jokey way
  • Options
    It was very much in a jokey way and to tell the truth, I had never seen it used online in any other way so apologies if it seemed insensitive.
  • Options

It was very much in a jokey way and to tell the truth, I had never seen it used online in any other way so apologies if it seemed insensitive.

TBH until I was diagnosed and joint these groups I had no idea either lol.

And no it never came across as insensitive so no need to apologise
    But doesn't curiosity get the better of you?
  • Options

As someone who both uses and appreciates them, this was, in my opinion, a great use of a Trigger Warning.
  • Options

Forget about Patricio wearing 11.

Well done Wolves for paying such great respect to Carl Ikeme

Good shout Paulie, I completely missed that the first time through. Really good gesture that.
  • Options

Its used alot on forums and facebook groups for mental health, before people read on, for example if someone is writting about a recent suicide attempt the post will start with Trigger Warning Suicide Attempt, that way if certain triggers send people off they know not to read that post.

Should we have a warning about a trigger warning?
  • Options
    Retiring squad numbers is just ridiculous in my opinion
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is it actually retired forever or just this season?

Either way, it’s a nice touch.
  • Options

You’re a walking encyclopaedia mate! ;)
  • Options

Feel the same way.
  • Options

We have had player numbers retired in the past, whilst the player was wearing them in a game.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Rob7Lee said:

Alphabetical in those days, loved balmer.
    Only Charlton went alphabetical, the other 91 league clubs understood what to do.

Agree about Balmer. One thing I was gutted about after the first promotion to the Premier League was that Balmer didn't get to be a part of it (one non playing appearance on the bench I think?). I remember one of his first games for us at The Goldstone Ground - one of a few early own goals.
  • Options
    To be honest in exceptional circumstances I can understand it, retiring legend is not one of those but if Bolton had retired Fabrice Muamba's shirt number then I wouldn't have thought ill of them.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Stig said:

Respect to Carl Ikeme and it's nice that Wolves have made a gesture, but retiring a number is that forever? It's gonna seem a bit odd in 30 years time, especially if (hopefully) he's walking around as right as rain.

Lots of numbers have been retired, not alwats when someone dies and sometimes its only briefly.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_retired_numbers_in_association_football
    There may be more internationally, but there aren't actually that many in English League football. Only seven others and all of those since 2003. Of those seven numbers, six were retired posthumously. Only one, Jack Lester's, was in his own lifetime and he was an absolute legend at Chesterfield. The great Bobby Moore did not get this honour until fifteen years after his death. Somewhat unbelievably two of the seven honoured players, Mark Philo and Ray Jones, killed themselves through drink driving. Worse than that, three other people were killed in their car crashes. Of the numbers retired only two were in the first XI. Here's a list:

6 at West Ham for Bobby Moore (2008)
    9 at Exeter for Adam Stansfield (2010)
    14 at Chesterfield for Jack Lester (2013)
    14 at Wycombe for Mark Philo (2006)
    23 at Man City for Marc-Vivien Foé (2003)
    31 at QPR for Ray Jones (2007)
    38 at West Ham for Dylan Tombides (2014)

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that I dislike this recent trend. I wish Carl Ikeme every success in his battle against leukaemia and I am saddened that it has cut short his career. Maybe resting the number 1 shirt for a season or perhaps even the span of what might have been considered his natural career would have been a nice gesture. For me though, permanently retiring the shirt is a step too far. After all, the vast majority of clubs can number hundreds of players who are now dead. If they were all to be honoured in the same way, current teams would be running out with three figure numbers on their backs.
  • Options
    Trigger warning = Rodney being called Dave
  • Options
    Didn't New York recently retire the No99 shirt for BWP?