Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Do you vote?

I am seriously considering not bothering to vote any more.

Am I just getting old and cynical, or is it cos politicians nowadays are all unprincipalled power hungry sleezeballs? Perhaps that's always been the case and I was just naieve?

Comments

• If you feel that way, spoil your ballot. Each spoilt ballot has to be checked by each candidate or their agent as well, so it's a hassle for them.

(however, anything threatening can be traced back, so don't go drawing a cock and balls where the Lib Dem guy's name is)
  • I think we should have full blown PR, they won't ever do it though cos the big two would lose out. I voted Green last time, but its never going to happen with this system.
  • edited October 2006
    Too true, and that's the way I voted too. The Greens came second in a few Greenwich council wards (the ones around Greenwich, Charlton, Blackheath and Woolwich) last time around, so don't feel like that was a wasted vote. And they have about six Lewisham councillors too, around Brockley and Ladywell.

Of course, there's a risk you'd get all sorts of loons and weirdos and hateful bigots getting voted in if we had PR, but then it should be up to the established parties to raise their game and listen to people in the first place.

(just a thought - if we had PR when the Valley Party was around, we could be running the council!)
  • i doubt i will ever vote again.

what difference does it really make ?

the main players are all the same, they smile falsely and pathetically hold babies, they all make promises they have no intentions of keeping, they think they are representative of the people when they really have no interest in them. Its just one big game for them, based on not what has actually been done, but what they have been able to spin. I can understand why Charlton have done it, but i can't see them having a fans representative again :-)
  • simon oelman.
  • No, im not old enough yet.
  • edited October 2006
    I do and will always vote as I feel that Ive had my say, if you like.... And if you don't vote then can you moan about taxes, the NHS etc? Its a bit like the environment. On your own you make little difference, but if every single person felt like that nothing would get done.
  • There's hope for you yet, Curb_It, the voting age might be lowered to 16 ;-)
  • Heal the world Dan, make it a better place mate.

Not just for you and me fella, but the entire human race.
  • Mate. You may jest but it dawns on you when you've got kids that they could be bringing your grandchildren up in a Sidcup that's looks more like the Sahara. I'm evening gonna buy some solar panels for the house... We run a very "green" house these days. Compost bins, new insulation etc

Just call me Dave Cameron ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• you going to be the weirdo household the local chavs will be too scared to play knock down ginger on...
  • Oi, Dave Cameron, where were you for the aerseneal game??
  • People have died so that we have the right to vote.

The answer is to vote tactically rather than blindly vote for the same party because you always have and your parents before you which seems to be the criteria a lot of people adopt.

Even under the present system you can wield an influence by tactical voting. For example at the last General Election mosts seats in Kent were held by Labour with a majority of less than 1,000. UKIP's share of the vote was greater than the winning majority in all those cases. If the Tories, who talk euroesceptic but act europhile, had adopted a credible eurosceptic position it is highly probable many of those UKIP voters would have voted Tory thus changing Kent from mainly Labour to virtually all Tory. If such a trend existed in the rest of the country it could even have influenced the eventual result of the election.

Politicians have a vested interest in maintaining voter apathy. It enables them to do what they like, often to the detriment of ordinary, decent, working people.
  • [cite] AFKA Bartram:[/cite]you going to be the weirdo household the local chavs will be too scared to play knock down ginger on...

The bloke that runs out in his pissed stained pjs and 10 yr old beard? Na that'll be 04_MCS... Hes halfway there already ;-)

Sorry O. Other half's best mates wedding. "But were playing Arsenal" just didn't wash.....
  • Hey, i actually shaved my beard off for the arsenil game, although no one noticed!

Dan you need to come see me, RE excuses for the Mrs, i have some great ones!
  • i noticed. you looked about ten years old, i was worried you wouldn't get served at the bar.
  • Mate. Shes heard them all before and noted them down in the back of her filofax
  • Thanks Les, at least someone noticed! I am goin for all out new look, watch this space at fulham!!

ANyway, i am orf home now for t'weekend, although i might get on the pc thing and tyy to log on! Sod all doe soo cant even go no where!!! :-(

Chow
  • Just stay in and get stoned then mate!
  • your damn right i will lol