Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Protest Apathy

Comments

• Options
    We really need someone from the consortium to break ranks or Muir to explain what really is going on with them,what the real hold up is what the time frame is before they walk/give up,they are losing support before theyve even started.What difference would it make by telling us the truth, Muir said he wants to work with supporters, well tell us whats happening now!!Release a statement for fuck sake coz at the moment from here it dont look like you care 2 fucks about us supporters either,Stop the speculation and give it to us straight.And if you(muir) believe in your five year plan why cant you buy the club with all your wealth and get your investors on board once Roland has fucked off.
  • Options
    I accept that we have a weak hand. Roland is stubborn and says it's not his fault and the potential buyers can't/won't say anything. So, is no one to blame? Well, I think someone is to blame and that has to be the current incumbent. It's his show. He got us here and is still in charge. He is setting the budgets and is in control of what is going on. It's convenient to blame the potential buyers, but I can't be the only one wondering if that is all some big joke.

Summoning the energy to protest is hard though. The advent of KR and then LB and a stab at promotion kept everyone quiet enough last season. Mounting another protest is going to be difficult as last year, intentionally or not, nearly everyone went along with it without protest. Now, we're in limbo, it's hard to build up the momentum to protest amongst enough people - and, of course, a lot have gone already.

I am not sure where we go next as fans unless RD comes and says "I've changed my mind and I'm staying". I am just hoping we don't go down this year.
  • Options
    N01R4M said:

In fairness, we only have the word of Roland's representatives that he has no responsibility for the delay.

"Well, he would say that, wouldn't he?"

He certainly did not indicate Roland was actively chivvying the process along. Instead the evidence suggests RD is adopting a "Que sera, sera" attitude about the sale and instead limiting his financial exposure by cheeseparing, to the detriment of the club.
    I would like him to feel it is in his interest (or rather, in the interest of his ego and local reputation) to do all in his power to get the deal across the line asap, even if this means offering a price reduction, or paying off the ex-directors in full, etc.

There is a window of opportunity to apply real pressure to Roland under the umbrella of canvassing in the local elections. However, there are certain deadlines which ROT will need to satisfy in order to proceed.
    It is no good the fanbase waking up a month ahead of the October polls and expecting a ROT campaign to magically spring to life. The ship will have sailed by then, and we will be back to throwing things on the pitch.

The original post made no mention of helping ROT re the local elections.
    I think that is a worthy cause and I'm all for it.
    Perhaps Aresenetatters was asking for help for ROT ?
  • Options

From the outside, looking in, it does seem as though most have given up.

Most are being realistic, little can be done to speed up the sale. As mentioned earlier though if the sale falls through then the gloves are off.
    Coming to the party?
    Nice to see your BBW alert/notification is working, baldster :wink:

Party, you say? assume it will be vol au vents and 12 chips all round?

FWIW, my opening comment was tongue in cheek.
    Proper party like ours mums used to do. Cheese and pineapple on a stick and little sausage rolls. The height of SE London sophistication.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

N01R4M said:

There is a window of opportunity to apply real pressure to Roland under the umbrella of canvassing in the local elections. However, there are certain deadlines which ROT will need to satisfy in order to proceed.
    It is no good the fanbase waking up a month ahead of the October polls and expecting a ROT campaign to magically spring to life. The ship will have sailed by then, and we will be back to throwing things on the pitch.

THIS 100%

The election only happens once every four years and its timing couldn't be more, well, timely.

But it needs people behind ROT. There's a core group of us going out there but we need more help.

This is a one-off opportunity. If Roland goes this week, next week, February, the next two weeks will be interesting etc etc then fine. If not then we are further down the line of destroying our club.
    Now, this is quite a different matter.
    I respectfully suggest that you badly worded the title and original post.

If you were calling for assistance for ROT's election campaign, then perhaps it would have been a good idea to mention it at some point ?
  • Options

N01R4M said:

THIS 100%

The election only happens once every four years and its timing couldn't be more, well, timely.

But it needs people behind ROT. There's a core group of us going out there but we need more help.

This is a one-off opportunity. If Roland goes this week, next week, February, the next two weeks will be interesting etc etc then fine. If not then we are further down the line of destroying our club.
    I respectfully suggest you badly worded the title and original post, if you were calling for assistance for ROT's election campaign, then perhaps it would have been a good idea to mention it at some point ?
    My post was stating how I feel about the protests/campaigns for getting Roland out and wondering why there's so much apathy. There was a call for help with ROT in another thread 'ROT needs you' but with little help forthcoming (@ROT correct me if I'm wrong). So yes, ROT does need help.

Are you able to help @Covered End ?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

N01R4M said:

THIS 100%

I respectfully suggest you badly worded the title and original post, if you were calling for assistance for ROT's election campaign, then perhaps it would have been a good idea to mention it at some point ?
    My post was stating how I feel about the protests/campaigns for getting Roland out and wondering why there's so much apathy. There was a call for help with ROT in another thread 'ROT needs you' but with little help forthcoming (@ROT correct me if I'm wrong). So yes, ROT does need help.

No, sorry but I think it's a good idea if it's taken seriously.

I wasn't keen on the photo I saw of a group of fans, dressed in yellow and blue and looking a little like morris dancers/court jesters/clowns.
    I'm not sure how you can be taken seriously dressed like Ronald MacDonald.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    ROT is in Belgium so understandable, CARD could call for a protest but they haven't they've called for a boycott which is different, other than that is bloody hot... oh and not forgetting the club is actually in the middle of a sale process so protest unlikely to affect much. Not sure we need to moan about people not moaning enough, although I get the sentiment.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

N01R4M said:

THIS 100%

No, sorry but I think it's a good idea if it's taken seriously.

I wasn't keen on the photo I saw of a group of fans, dressed in yellow and blue and looking a little like morris dancers/court jesters. (If I've dreamt that up and mistaken I apologise).
    You haven't dreamt that up!

The 'striking' clothing was to make ourselves stand out from the crowds in the market square where we were campaigning. There were also ROT Sandwich boards.

It clearly helped as the police (guided by the chief of police) told us we weren't to wear the clothing at the game at STVV that evening :smile:

Edit: blue and yellow are recognisable STVV colours. Red, blue and yellow are ROT colours
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, that's the one. I think you all look rather silly and that's being polite.
    I mean if the local political parties knocked on your front door canvassing for votes looking like that .............
    I apologise if I'm upsetting ROT, but if I think it, I'm pretty sure others do.
  • Options
    "We need to get out to Belgium."

Do we? F*** you I do...

During the close season, I had a serious operation for cancer. A few weeks later, one of my daughters had a serious operation on her bladder.

I "need" to have food in the house. We "need" to make sure we stay hydrated in this hot weather. I "need" to be clear of cancer. I "need" the surgery on my daughter to be a success...

I don't "need" to go to f***ing Belgium...
  • Options

Yes, that's the one. I think you all look rather silly and that's being polite.
    I mean if the local political parties knocked on your front door canvassing for votes looking like that .............
    I apologise if I'm upsetting ROT, but if I think it, I'm pretty sure others do.
    How members of ROT choose to present themselves is governed by the reaction required.

No street cred sought. In this case provoking people's curiosity and getting their attention was the aim, and it worked very nicely thank you.
    Good for you & ROT. I'm genuinely pleased it worked.
  • Options

I'm so confused by the hostility towards fellow Charlton fans here. It happened with the CARD season ticket thread as well. Aren't we all on the same side?

I'm stuck across the other side of the world otherwise I'd be on the first Eurostar at this point. The protests cannot stall now.

Roland is acting like a petulant child that won't get rid of his old toys that you told him to throw out months ago. Yes he is apparently getting rid but is he asking for a realistic price?

Possibly not. But we were told months ago the price has been agreed.
    If the price has not been agreed then perhaps someone should tell us.
  • Options
    Give a little whistle...
  • Options

I'm so confused by the hostility towards fellow Charlton fans here. It happened with the CARD season ticket thread as well. Aren't we all on the same side?

I'm stuck across the other side of the world otherwise I'd be on the first Eurostar at this point. The protests cannot stall now.

Roland is acting like a petulant child that won't get rid of his old toys that you told him to throw out months ago. Yes he is apparently getting rid but is he asking for a realistic price?

I'm certainly not paying RRP plus interest for a second hand game of Ker-Plunk that has three marbles missing.

As stated above on the 18th july we were informed that the holdup was down to a Delay in takeover caused by one of Andrew Muirs investors not passing fit & proper test due to connections with a former club. Newcastle or Everton apparently.

Deal is now complete and is awaiting approval from the FA.

So nothing to do with Roland,
    Roland has decided to sell I dont see what turning up in belgium does, maybe it should be Australia we go and find out whats going on
  • Options
    Everything people tell us is uncertain.
    Roland as our owner is one dependable fact.
    Until things change that is who we are dealing with.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'm certainly not paying RRP plus interest for a second hand game of Ker-Plunk that has three marbles missing.

As stated above on the 18th july we were informed that the holdup was down to a Delay in takeover caused by one of Andrew Muirs investors not passing fit & proper test due to connections with a former club. Newcastle or Everton apparently.

Roland has decided to sell I dont see what turning up in belgium does, maybe it should be Australia we go and find out whats going on
    Paulie you're being sucked into believing only one side of the story that is convienent to the seller.
  • Options
    Roland and his chosen representatives have been lying to us for four & half years. One of the few certainties in this murky story.

If the 'agreed price is anywhere near £40 million its £20 million overpriced imo.
  • Options

Paulie you're being sucked into believing only one side of the story that is convienent to the seller.
    If its not true why have the aussies not disputed it.

If you were buying the club and were fully aware of issues with previous owners and already stated you wanted to work with the fans,

If you then heard that the owner was blaming u for the sale taking its time and it wasnt true then surely you would come out and say thats not what is happening.

The fact they have disputed it tells me tjat its likely to be true
  • Options

Chizz said:

I completely understand anyone who says that, since Roland has said that he is selling, then protests should stop. But I would like to ask those people whether they trust him.

I don't trust him one inch, but until someone/something shows a need for a protest I won't be protesting.

We're just going round & round in circles.

Like I said on the Charlton for sale thread.

Show us some evidence, that RD is presently delaying the sale. No one did.

The price has been agreed and we are awaiting the Aussies to submit paperwork to the EFL/EFL to be satisfied with the paperwork.

The Aussies have not refuted this.

If this is not true (and I'm not saying it is), then show us this is not true.
    Give us some evidence please.
    Has no one from CARD got back to you yet with any evidence.
  • Options

He's been 'in the process of selling' for some time now. How long do we wait?

But the issues are not with him, protesting for him to sell is pointless when he has agreed to sell.

Yes the sale is taking ages, but as its been reported thats due to the complexity of the aussie bid and issues with the EFL not Roland.

He is Probably as desperate as us to end it all now

Says who? Oh yeah, one of Roland's employees.

The directors loans not being sorted? Down to Roland.

The unrealistic price? Down to Roland

Hanging around (possibly) for yet another group to do yet another due diligence on the hope he can get a higher price? Down to Roland.

Cutting back on playing and non-playing budgets? Down to Roland.

The protests continue to work, season ticket sales have halved in four years, income is thru the floor and there is the local election coming up in St Truiden in October.

Yes, Roland wants out but on his terms and in his time.
    Post of the week.
  • Options

We really need someone from the consortium to break ranks or Muir to explain what really is going on with them,what the real hold up is what the time frame is before they walk/give up,they are losing support before theyve even started.What difference would it make by telling us the truth, Muir said he wants to work with supporters, well tell us whats happening now!!Release a statement for fuck sake coz at the moment from here it dont look like you care 2 fucks about us supporters either,Stop the speculation and give it to us straight.And if you(muir) believe in your five year plan why cant you buy the club with all your wealth and get your investors on board once Roland has fucked off.

I totally get that, but I also get the confidentiality thing that is so important in the business world, as confirmed by some CL big hitters who know about this sort of thing. It's so frustrating, but GM will NOT spill the beans.
  • Options

Really?
  • Options

Possibly not. But we were told months ago the price has been agreed.
    If the price has not been agreed then perhaps someone should tell us.
    Well why don't you go back to the authoritative person who told you definitively that the price has been agreed, and ask him why the sale has not gone through.

The difficulty you would have is that this person does not exist, does he? It is simply a viewpoint that became prevalent on this forum. Am I not right?

• Options
    So why Prague in your opinion has it not happened mate?
  • Options
    how long will the EFL allow Roland to run the Club without a CEO, CFO or a permanent Manager? Perhaps it’s them we should be putting the pressure on.