Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mesut Ozil

Quite a statement from him yesterday, and fair play to him. No player should have to put up with racism. Although i accept Erdogan isn't the greatest of people to be photographed with whilst saying "my president'.

"I am German when we win, but I am an immigrant when we lose"

The guy is a 5 time German footballer of the year, a world cup winner, has 92 caps and has created more assists for Germany than any player since making his debut 9 years ago.

Comments

• Do feel sorry for him and Gundogan. Both been victimised for having an interest in their roots.
  • A sorry affair

It'll be interesting if Ozil's performances with Arsenal improve, seeing that club football is his only focus now
  • He didnt have the greatest world cup(who did for Germany)

But its a shame he has felt the need to retire from international football over this at 29
  • Not criticising his reasoning at all, but I was wondering why he didn’t just quit at the time that it happened if it was that personal for him?

Otherwise it looks as though he just wanted to hang on for one final World Cup opportunity and deliberately picked a time after it to quit. Am I missing something here?
  • cafctom said:

Not criticising his reasoning at all, but I was wondering why he didn’t just quit at the time that it happened if it was that personal for him?

Otherwise it looks as though he just wanted to hang on for one final World Cup opportunity and deliberately picked a time after it to quit. Am I missing something here?

Because Germany had such a bad World Cup it appears their fans and press have had to search for a scapegoat - Seems they latched on to Ozil's meeting with Erdogan as an excuse to blame him... No doubt had Germany won the World Cup, they wouldnt have cared
  • Bayern's President hasn't held back in what he makes of Ozil.
  • Hard to disagree with anything he says here.
  • Gundogan has been very quiet, I guess he's a far lower profile player than Ozil
  • Sponsored links:

• What is the situation with these 2......did they qualify by birth (or parents / grandparents) - or via residency for x amount of years?
  • Bravo.
    Whether you agree with him or not, that was one hell of a way to retire.
    In solidarity I would like to declare that I will never play for Germany either.

Turkey..?
  • What is the situation with these 2......did they qualify by birth (or parents / grandparents) - or via residency for x amount of years?

Ozil’s family have been there for generations, his grandparents were from Turkey but both his parents were born in Germany I think, as was he.
  • South Korea will take him.

He was their best player at the World cup.
  • se9addick said:

What is the situation with these 2......did they qualify by birth (or parents / grandparents) - or via residency for x amount of years?

Ozil’s family have been there for generations, his grandparents were from Turkey but both his parents were born in Germany I think, as was he.
    Cheers.

Not really for this thread - but getting eligibility for a national team on residency rules seems so wrong to me.
  • Fair play to him, clearly explained his thoughts and why he thought he hadn't been treated badly. I didn't hear much about this Erdogan controversy before but good on the bloke for standing up for himself and his morals/beliefs.
  • se9addick said:

What is the situation with these 2......did they qualify by birth (or parents / grandparents) - or via residency for x amount of years?

Cheers.

Not really for this thread - but getting eligibility for a national team on residency rules seems so wrong to me.
    But it wasnt residency as stated him, his mum and his dad were born in Germany.

His grandparents are turkish hence he has turkish roots
  • se9addick said:

Cheers.

But it wasnt residency as stated him, his mum and his dad were born in Germany.

His grandparents are turkish hence he has turkish roots
    I know mate - that's why I said it wasn't for this thread.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

cafctom said:

Not criticising his reasoning at all, but I was wondering why he didn’t just quit at the time that it happened if it was that personal for him?

Think some of the criticism of Ozil and other ethnic minority players (particularly the Turkish Germans that met with Erdogan) after they were knocked out of the World Cup got quite nasty, hence this decision. I know the ethnicity of the Switzerland squad was a big talking point there, as I believe it was in Begium.

Seems to be something that’s happening more and more across Europe whereas in England there is no discussion at all about the ethnicity of the England team, it’s not even a talking point, which shows what a progressive and tolerant society we have compared to other places.
    I dunno I've read in places where there are a few people who moan about Sterling being Jamaican and the fact that the England National Youth Teams appear to be "stealing" a load of Nigerian players blah blah blah
  • se9addick said:

cafctom said:

Think some of the criticism of Ozil and other ethnic minority players (particularly the Turkish Germans that met with Erdogan) after they were knocked out of the World Cup got quite nasty, hence this decision. I know the ethnicity of the Switzerland squad was a big talking point there, as I believe it was in Begium.

Seems to be something that’s happening more and more across Europe whereas in England there is no discussion at all about the ethnicity of the England team, it’s not even a talking point, which shows what a progressive and tolerant society we have compared to other places.
    I dunno I've read in places where there are a few people who moan about Sterling being Jamaican and the fact that the England National Youth Teams appear to be "stealing" a load of Nigerian players blah blah blah
    The only people giving players like Dele stick though are Nigerians!
  • se9addick said:

cafctom said:

Really, not sure I’ve seen any of that (other than commenting that Sterling was born in Jamaica, as it’s interesting). Certainly nothing about nicking players from Nigeria.
  • Whilst I generally agree with his statement I do think being photographed with Erdogan was maybe a little naïve due to recent events in Turkey.
    I know he has done no wrong and he doesn't have explain his life and background to one and all but sometimes I think it worth avoiding situations like this, it gives the racists opportunities on a plate.
  • Whilst I generally agree with his statement I do think being photographed with Erdogan was maybe a little naïve due to recent events in Turkey.
    I know he has done no wrong and he doesn't have explain his life and background to one and all but sometimes I think it worth avoiding situations like this, it gives the racists opportunities on a plate.

It’s a weird one and I don’t quite understand the furore in Germany. If one of our players who comes from a minority ethnic background was photographed with the leader of that country - let’s say Ashley Young was photographed with the President of Jamaica (do they have one?) and captioned the photo “my president” online - do you think there would be a media meltdown? I’m genuinely not sure.
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

cafctom said:

Really, not sure I’ve seen any of that (other than commenting that Sterling was born in Jamaica, as it’s interesting). Certainly nothing about nicking players from Nigeria.
    Ademola Lookman | Dominic Solanke | Tammy Abraham can all represent Nigeria

Think its more the pathetic remarks on Comments Boards (not here) when we won the U17 and U20 World Cup saying that it was really Nigeria who won those World Cups rather than it being England
  • He's got every right to call out racism, and good on him for taking a stand.

He's such a tart in all other aspects of his character though. On the pitch, he's so weak. I think Arsenal made a huge mistake tying him down with £300k a week. He should go and play for PSG, a club that have no domestic competition and they can carry him
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

cafctom said:

Ademola Lookman | Dominic Solanke | Tammy Abraham can all represent Nigeria

Think its more the pathetic remarks on Comments Boards (not here) when we won the U17 and U20 World Cup saying that it was really Nigeria who won those World Cups rather than it being England
    I imagine that the majority of those type of comments were from bitter Nigerian fans though. After all it was them who were booing Dele in the pre world cup warm up match against Nigeria