Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Vs Crawley Town - Saturday 21st July

12346»

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2018
    I know that treating a hamstring injury as well as possible has a lot of science behind it - I don't know exactly what that is, but there is work that can be made to make the hamstring stronger and there is a lot of importance in getting it right in the early stages of the injury. It is of course possible that rushing him back for the play offs could be an issue. It could just be bad luck, but if you are unlucky to the same extent that we have been in recent years you have to wonder if it is more than bad luck! You just have to!

Having the luxury of a summer to get it right, there is no way this injury shouldn't have been sorted. We are aware that Vetokele feels his injury was not treated well initially. It is a false economy not to have the best medical people, but the owners record for all to see shows one false economy after another!
  • Options

Bowyer was right to say what he did about Fosu's hamstring. It is clear proof that our medical side is not up to it. Not a surprise given the cost cutting of the Belgian miser, but it is beyond ridiculous.

I don't believe that's what Bowyer really meant, Muttley.

Bowyer said:“He didn’t finish the season because of his hamstring, we’ve had all summer to fix that problem. You can’t just be breaking down after three games. Something is wrong somewhere if that is the case. I’m hoping it isn’t."

IMO Bowyer is having a dig at Fosu for not being more diligent on the matter.
    It's also the player's responsibility to be aware of how his injury is healing and report anything that doesn't feel quite right.

• Options
    So you have complete confidence in our medical staff? I have very little personally - based on recurring evidence, not just this case!
  • Options

So you have complete confidence in our medical staff? I have very little personally - based on recurring evidence, not just this case!

That's not what I said though, Muttley.

I just feel that Bowyer from his tone, is a bit frustrated with the player.
  • Options
    Well if he is, he is frustrated with the wrong person/people
  • Options

Well if he is, he is frustrated with the wrong person/people

But that is your guess
  • Options
    Very good, Viewfinder.

And now for the beer review, please?

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Bowyer was right to say what he did about Fosu's hamstring. It is clear proof that our medical side is not up to it. Not a surprise given the cost cutting of the Belgian miser, but it is beyond ridiculous.

Bowyer said:“He didn’t finish the season because of his hamstring, we’ve had all summer to fix that problem. You can’t just be breaking down after three games. Something is wrong somewhere if that is the case. I’m hoping it isn’t."

It's also the player's responsibility to be aware of how his injury is healing and report anything that doesn't feel quite right.

Does Bowyer mean there's something else caulsing the hamstring to go a lot! There was a player few years back cant remember name buy his hamstring was being caulsing by something wrong in his back but it didn't cause back pain so it took a long time to find out the cause!
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Are West ham and Arsenal medical staff poor?
    Same players injured all the time at these clubs. At least Carroll will have company now that Wilshere has joined.
    I'm amazed that some players don't appear to take more pro active care with their weaknesses.
    Wiggins, nice feller but didn't seem to take the advice to have more protection for his ankle too seriously a couple of weeks before yet another injury (Bromley addicts meeting)

Why do some professional footballers have such a Laissez-faire attitude to their bodies and their careers ? (I don't know if Fosu comes under this category or not)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    uie2 said:

Oggy Red said:

Does Bowyer mean there's something else caulsing the hamstring to go a lot! There was a player few years back cant remember name buy his hamstring was being caulsing by something wrong in his back but it didn't cause back pain so it took a long time to find out the cause!
    That's a very good point, uie2. But I still don't think that was what Bowyer meant yesterday.
  • Options
    Spoke to a Crawley fan at half time, he is convinced Grant kept them up by himself last season. Apparently best player he's seen play for Crawley.
  • Options

A barefooted Lyle Taylor was chatting happily to fans after the game. He was keen to impress that the offending challenge hadn’t prevented his shot – which hit the bar. After Welling and Dulwich, Taylor again demonstrated his mobility across the front line and his urgent eye for goal.

His partner Grant has improved and matured; an oblique dribble across the box almost led to a goal. (A similar run against Dulwich set up Forster-Caskey’s winner.) Aribo is playing with more confidence and authority, seizing possession and feeding the strikers. Phillips saved the penalty brilliantly, plunging to his right.

We hold on to possession at the back with lateral passes until space is created farther forward; this can appear overly cautious. Outlets are restricted because unlike Magennis, neither Taylor nor Grant wins balls in the air. Forster-Caskey takes every single free-kick and corner; discounting the 30 per cent that are misdirected, our set pieces are utterly predictable. Fosu aside – and he often is – there is no flair in our squad, no spark or surprise to flummox the opposition.

There was a flash of excitement late in the game yesterday when a hefty challenge on Forster-Caskey by a Crawley defender provoked pushing and handbags. Team-mates piled in, and Bowyer forcefully expressed his opinion from the touchline. All sternly admonished by the ref, who would have brandished yellow cards had this been a competitive match. And sent Bowyer to the stand, had there been one.

To borrow from the man himself: “A win is a win, and it is what it is.”

Spot on VF... A few more will get along run our come Tuesday and a few to return from injury S we know. Overall, I thought it was a good training game and Aribo, FC and Grant were treating it like a League game. Taylor will get goals this season and I look forward to seeing him doing the business with some decent supply. That is where we need a bit more imho
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Didn’t Danny Haynes have trouble with his hamstrings ? I think it was suggested that it was because of the way he ran
  • Options
    Excellent review of the game yesterday VF . Second half got very competitive , but we deserved the win . Aribo was my MOM , but Grant was impressive and is well thought of by the very friendly Crawley fans we met . Good day out .
  • Options

Are West ham and Arsenal medical staff poor?
    Same players injured all the time at these clubs. At least Carroll will have company now that Wilshere has joined.
    I'm amazed that some players don't appear to take more pro active care with their weaknesses.
    Wiggins, nice feller but didn't seem to take the advice to have more protection for his ankle too seriously a couple of weeks before yet another injury (Bromley addicts meeting)

Why do some professional footballers have such a Laissez-faire attitude to their bodies and their careers ? (I don't know if Fosu comes under this category or not)
    Players are young and immature - take fitness for granted. As you get older you don't take things for granted.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    uie2 said:

Oggy Red said:

That player was Danny Haynes. His hamstrings were unfortunately more like cheese strings where they would break down after a short burst of acceleration.

And I completely agree with @Oggy Red I don’t think that is what Bowyer is implying, I think that he is possibly frustrated at Fosu for either not looking after himself correctly or thinks he isn’t putting in the work outside of when he is at the club.

Could be wrong of course but it didn’t seem like a dig at the medical team. It seemed more towards Fosu or possibly another underlining problem.
  • Options
    It doesn't matter who Bowyer was digging act. I reckon it reflects badly on our medical team, not in isolation maybe, but with our record over years! Now that is my view- this is a forum to air your views isn't it? Some will agree and some may disagree.
  • Options

A barefooted Lyle Taylor was chatting happily to fans after the game. He was keen to impress that the offending challenge hadn’t prevented his shot – which hit the bar. After Welling and Dulwich, Taylor again demonstrated his mobility across the front line and his urgent eye for goal.

His partner Grant has improved and matured; an oblique dribble across the box almost led to a goal. (A similar run against Dulwich set up Forster-Caskey’s winner.) Aribo is playing with more confidence and authority, seizing possession and feeding the strikers. Phillips saved the penalty brilliantly, plunging to his right.

We hold on to possession at the back with lateral passes until space is created farther forward; this can appear overly cautious. Outlets are restricted because unlike Magennis, neither Taylor nor Grant wins balls in the air. Forster-Caskey takes every single free-kick and corner; discounting the 30 per cent that are misdirected, our set pieces are utterly predictable. Fosu aside – and he often is – there is no flair in our squad, no spark or surprise to flummox the opposition.

There was a flash of excitement late in the game yesterday when a hefty challenge on Forster-Caskey by a Crawley defender provoked pushing and handbags. Team-mates piled in, and Bowyer forcefully expressed his opinion from the touchline. All sternly admonished by the ref, who would have brandished yellow cards had this been a competitive match. And sent Bowyer to the stand, had there been one.

Viewfinder seems to have gone all sensible lately :smile:
  • Options

It doesn't matter who Bowyer was digging act. I reckon it reflects badly on our medical team, not in isolation maybe, but with our record over years! Now that is my view- this is a forum to air your views isn't it? Some will agree and some may disagree.

Actually, I believe there's been staff changes in the medical team since the days of Vetokele and Kashi's injuries.

Maybe what you say applied say 2 or 3 years ago - but not really fair to tar the more recently appointed medical staff with the same brush?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was in East Grinstead yesterday and didn’t even know we were playing.
  • Options

You mean to say you didn't hear the roars when our goals went in.
  • Options

....and yet you can read and write and visit this site?

I was in Spain and I knew we were playing. You really need to keep up or folks will think you are one of those chaps that are just trawling for likes by saying “I don’t care any more”, whilst on page 6 of a match report of a kick about!
  • Options
    The evidence is the number of injuries and how long they take to heal. There is something wrong.
  • Options

The evidence is the number of injuries and how long they take to heal. There is something wrong.

It’s happened in every full season under RD, it’s got to be more than just bad luck. Probably due to a various reasons. Small squads being the obvious one.
  • Options

Viewfinder seems to have gone all sensible lately :smile:
    Still reads like a 5 live report read out by Ron Manager