Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Roy Keane On Itv

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2018
    It’s an Irish thing. My parents are Irish but I was born and raised in London and a fervent England fan. My Irish mates who all support English teams over here will support whomever England play to the point where we stopped going to one of my Irish mates bar here in Hartford, CT because some of my English mates think it went OTT especially the further we went in the tournament. I can never understand it as some of the Irish lads will travel to Liverpool or Manchester to watch a game and quite easily acclimatize with the locals in pubs etc but when it comes to England no way
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I suppose its good to have a pundit prepared to say what he thinks and I guess he does have the experience of being a top player who won things.

Keane has always been Mr angry - remember why he left Man U?

Not really done it as a manager though (mind you nor have most pundits!) and did walk out on his country during a World cup so hardly faultless.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Walked out on his Country because he didn’t like the hotel. Failed miserably as a manager. He can only moan. Waste of space.

Apparently the hotel wasn't up to the standards he was used to with MU.
  • Options
    The thing that surprises me isn't so much his miserable pessimistic attitude but his lack of physical stature. On the pitch he was always intimidating, larger than life, aggressive, the proverbial man 'you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley'. On telly he looks thin and weasely, a shadow of his former self. Not that I'd tell him that though :wink:
  • Options

Redrobo said:

Walked out on his Country because he didn’t like the hotel. Failed miserably as a manager. He can only moan. Waste of space.

Apparently the hotel wasn't up to the standards he was used to with MU.
    Nor was the team. But really is pathetic walking out on your team mates and your country because there isn’t a chocolate on your pillow.
  • Options
    miserable mumbling resentful old fart
  • Options

miserable mumbling resentful old fart

Bit harsh on Redrobo
  • Options
    it's good to have a contrarian on these panels to prevent a totally anodyne analysis from the 'experts' ..
    on the Beeb, all the panel were always in lovey dovey agreement, even Klinsmann, the German submariner .. 'England were superb, Southgate is the new messiah, we are all singing from the same hymn sheet, England are a shoo in for the title next time, blah blah blah' ..

righto chaps.. at least Keane has the wit to be different, even if he is a pig ignorant twat
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have no problem with him saying that we got carried away and was too excited regarding the england team.

We assumed we would beat Croatia.

Reluctantly agree with him on that.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

I have no problem with him saying that we got carried away and was too excited regarding the england team.

No. We didn’t. We all knew it would be a tough game, but we also knew that it was winnable. That’s all.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Dave2l said:

No. We didn’t. We all knew it would be a tough game, but we also knew that it was winnable. That’s all.
    Apart from when we play teams like San Marino I can’t think of any games we assumed we are gonna win. That also goes for every single Charlton game.
  • Options

The other thing with Roy Keane is that he is a 100% winner - not interested in second place, or turning up and doing well etc.

Whether he is involved with Ireland, Man Utd, Forest, Sunderland or commentating on England matches, he only looks at it from the perspective of how to win, and what it would take to win.

If you read his books, then he is quite happy to acknowedledge that his attitude and desire to be the best rubs people up the wrong way, and is quite happy to laugh at how intense and driven he is/was professionally.

You can easily see how United did so well for so long, with both him and Fergie driving them on and ensuring the complacency never set in.

I watched what he said about England, at the WC and he was spot on really - it just felt odd to many people, as the common perception is that we had had a good tournament.

Agree with a lot of this if not it all. It does come down to his mentality. I think the perfect example of Ian Wrights mind set compared to Roy Keane's was how they both reacted to getting bookings which meant they missed a European final. Wright dropped down to his knees crying whilst Keane shrugged it off as if it never happened and lead United to the final even scoring a goal to help. If you think he's making comments to dig out England then you wanted to hear his assessment of the Ireland - France (Henry Handball) I used to think he was still bitter with Ireland but actually think its simply down to his character.
  • Options
    Jeez. Is that for real?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Jeez. Is that for real?
    No - the tache was I think but not the hair!
  • Options
    He was the only 1 of 6 presenters on BBC and itv that thought the utd penalty was a penalty. 
  • Options
    He was the only 1 of 6 presenters on BBC and itv that thought the utd penalty was a penalty. 
    That's not what I heard. I watched BBC & at half time all 4 pundits said they could see why it was given. Didnt agree with the rules but once the ball hit the hand it was a pen. 
  • Options
    I like the way he always gets under everyone's skin never fails to start argument
    Loads better than listening to everyone agreeing sometimes you need to hear another view on things 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2023
    ct_addick said:
    It’s an Irish thing. My parents are Irish but I was born and raised in London and a fervent England fan. My Irish mates who all support English teams over here will support whomever England play to the point where we stopped going to one of my Irish mates bar here in Hartford, CT because some of my English mates think it went OTT especially the further we went in the tournament. I can never understand it as some of the Irish lads will travel to Liverpool or Manchester to watch a game and quite easily acclimatize with the locals in pubs etc but when it comes to England no way
    My mum is Irish and its the same, hates all the England sports teams. I think its more that she thinks they are all a bit full of themselves and the hype around them as apposed to historical political stuff between England and Ireland. 

I know people born and raised here with Irish parents and they consider themselves completely Irish, likewise with the dislike of England sports teams. 

Being half Irish I support both England and Ireland, and on the rare occasions they meet (in football anyways) Im not bothered who wins.

I do find the cognitive dissonance with supporting an English league team but hating the England national team odd though. 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    That's not what I heard. I watched BBC & at half time all 4 pundits said they could see why it was given. Didnt agree with the rules but once the ball hit the hand it was a pen. 
    He was the only one who was adamant it was a penalty rules or no stupid rules.