Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Croatia

Comments

• Options
    WSS said:

30,000 tickets available for a screening at Hyde Park. Ballot based, opens in 15mins (4pm):

https://www.bst-hydepark.com/events/detail/croatia-v-england/

page won't load for anyone it seems
  • Options
    Sterling should have done better with his first chance, but he was offside. The keeper did well for the second. They do sometimes. Sterling had a good game and defenders don't enjoy playing against him. Understand why Southgate is picking him and as a previous poster said - what are any of us doing questioning Southgate considering the job he is doing?
  • Options
    Croydon said:

WSS said:

30,000 tickets available for a screening at Hyde Park. Ballot based, opens in 15mins (4pm):

Everyone trying to get on at the same time thinking it's first come first served, or they've got a better chance, instead of having all day to sign up and then it's a ballot in the morning.
  • Options
    Anyone else already getting nervous? Feel like pacing the room and going for a nervous shit and it’s still 48 hours away!
  • Options
    Cüneyt Çakır Got the ref gig.

Reffed Iran v Morocco & Argies v Nigeria
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

Croydon said:

WSS said:

Everyone trying to get on at the same time thinking it's first come first served, or they've got a better chance, instead of having all day to sign up and then it's a ballot in the morning.
    Said this to everyone in the office but then continued to refresh every 30 seconds because I'm a dickhead
  • Options
    Croatia sacked Vukojevic? Is this fake news?
  • Options
    Gotta be a positive for us surely?
  • Options
    Well if their centre back and some assistant coach/scout are putting videos out saying "glory to Ukraine", that's not going to endear the Croatian team to the home crowd...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We are slight favourites but no more. I can see us hopefully edging it by the odd goal.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Cüneyt Çakır Got the ref gig.

Reffed Iran v Morocco & Argies v Nigeria

I'll get this out of the way now.

There's a c*** in there somewhere.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    stop Modric and win the game .. I have heard it suggested that Lingard be detailed to get on him as much as possible .. great idea …

once more into the breach dear friends .. cry god for England, Harry(s) and St George .. sort out these nasty little fascists .. ( with a bow to Henry V)
  • Options
    I'll say it again. Sterling's job is to score goals and create chances. He does neither. He doesn't work hard enough closing players down. He can run fast. So could Darren Huckerby.

I fear he'll miss the one genuine chance we get in the game and we lose on penalties.

I'm sorry but fuck me - no goals in 23 games and 1 assist in his last 12 - and that was a tap to Lingaard.

Rashford all day long. Fuck the Belgium game - how about his goal versus Costa Rica.....
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    "Raheem Sterling is not perfect but make no mistake, Croatia would love to see him rested"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2018/07/08/raheem-sterling-not-perfect-make-no-mistake-croatia-would-love/
  • Options

Well if their centre back and some assistant coach/scout are putting videos out saying "glory to Ukraine", that's not going to endear the Croatian team to the home crowd...

No idea how the home crowd will react.

England, old enemies, Salisbury, James Bond, UK government boycott etc, but the Croats and Russian are old enemies too
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Watch this, then rethink on Sterling.

https://youtu.be/R7TFLKfoPuQ
  • Options
    The centre back, Vida, in the Ukraine video could have been banned for two games for a political statement. FIFA gave him a warning.
  • Options
    supaclive said:

I'll say it again. Sterling's job is to score goals and create chances. He does neither. He doesn't work hard enough closing players down. He can run fast. So could Darren Huckerby.

I fear he'll miss the one genuine chance we get in the game and we lose on penalties.

I'm sorry but fuck me - no goals in 23 games and 1 assist in his last 12 - and that was a tap to Lingaard.

Rashford all day long. Fuck the Belgium game - how about his goal versus Costa Rica.....

He hasnt helped create chances? WUM.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One of the baffling things about this whole thing, is that when Rashford had his chance against Belgium, he came up woefully short - yet people still want him in!

Most people would identify Rashford's main weapons as his pace and running with the ball, yet he seems reluctant to use those, and seems to want to drop off and help build the play, which frankly he isn't that good at

The key thing with the Sterling, is that he is able and willing to come short, run long and when the circumstances are right have a run with the ball, so defences are never sure what is coming next.

The end result with Sterling has been disappointing at times, but you can see what he brings to the team, and as others have said before, when he has gone off, our effectiveness in 'getting out' has diminished radically.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Chunes said:

Taken from givemesport, must say I entirely agree:

Stan Collymore has had his say.

The 47-year-old, who is arguably one of the most outspoken pundits in Britain, believes that voting Sterling as the worst player makes English football fans look like a nation of football illiterates.

“Three days on from a glorious Saturday in Samara and I’m still scratching my head,” Collymore writes in his latest column for the Mirror. “Because I still can’t work out how Raheem Sterling came away with the lowest mark of any England star in the BBC’s public-vote player ratings. By some distance, too.

“What I do know is that those who helped him end up with a rating of 5.23 out of 10 were not watching the same game as me. And that the vote only adds to my suspicions that we’re not the football savvy nation we should be.

'NOTHING SHORT OF AN EMBARRASSMENT'
    “Instead, we appear to be a nation jam-packed with football illiterates — people who can’t read the game and its nuances.”

He continued: “Jordan Pickford, Kieran Trippier and Harry Maguire were simply the three best players on the pitch.

“Harry Kane and Dele Alli were the two who were off the boil, and even if you’d never seen a football match before you’d have looked at Alli and said, ‘That guy there hasn’t been so good today’.

“Yet Sterling was voted as the worst England player out there.

“If you were him you’d be well within your rights to go, ‘Hold on, this is a bit wrong’.

“In the past, we have wondered why some players have felt bitter about playing for England. Why they haven’t wanted to play or why they have said there is too much pressure.

“This is why.

“So if we can do one thing for the rest of this competition, wherever it takes us, can we at least put games, achievements and performances into context?

“I’m not talking about the celebrities and politicians who have jumped on the bandwagon for a few more Twitter followers — they can get lost because sooner rather than later they will have moved on and will be musing about Love Island .

“No, it's the people who at least pretend to know what they’re talking about — pundits, writers and fans.

“Because for Sterling to finish bottom of Saturday's ratings was nothing short of an embarrassment.”

Collymore has nailed it here. For Sterling to be rated so far behind his teammates after that performance - which was far from terrible - is an embarrassment.

It almost as if some football fans, for whatever reason, have an agenda against the 23-year-old.

Perhaps that’s partly down to certain sections of the media, who have been heavily criticised recently for their coverage of the Kingston-born winger.

Pickford was about to get it, before the penalty save! I couldn't understand it at the time, because whilst he isn't the best in the world, he is young and he is more than decent! Sterling is a key part of the team. But one of the joys of football is that everybody can have a view on it, even those that know nothing about it.

Imagine you are a defender playing against England - wouldn't you be terrified of pace and trickery. You and your team mates have to adapt to that tactically, which helps other players like Kane.
  • Options
    England's second goal vs Sweden. Lindgard first time ball, All's run to the far post, great header great goal.

Sterling nothing.

He's quick he has good movement, but he has no end product. No assists, no goals.

Honestly anybody that wants to lose Lingard' s work rate, goals and assists or Ali's goals and would keep Sterling in the side instead has shit in their eyes.

He was very good for City last year but at the very top level, with chances at a Premium, I fear he will let us down.

• Options
    supaclive said:

Riviera said:

supaclive said:

Ever played football?
    Kent Schools
    District
    Wales Universities
    Aberystwyth Town
    Millwall
    London Youth
    Enfield

A bit ... yeah!
    Millwall doesn't count ;-)
  • Options
    I'm not saying he offered nothing but it didn't lead to a goal. I don't see the point in playing an attacking midfielder who scores none and assists none.

Yes he makes space for other players. Great. One out of three then and the least important. As if Vardy or Rashford don't make space for other players - come on now!