Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    @Dazzler21 - I very rarely mention the fact I’m vegan when I’m at work, only really gets brought up with new people. If I’m honest I’m the type of fella who just wants to sit and quietly have his dinner whilst doing a sudoku not having ethical debates or thumping the tub. I don’t really have an interest in what others are eating but if the meat munchers do bring it on and try a get a rise then, well, it’s game on. Then we go back to brutalising ne’erdowells.
     My work is for an animal welfare organisation so it’s kind of a given that Vegans have a point, the ones there are vociferous as a number of the directors are also Vegan, they pretty much get away with meat shaming because meat = cruelty

Now I’ve got it in context your experience makes sense. You fancy a job swap?
     Not sure I’d do well in your industry!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    @Dazzler21 - I very rarely mention the fact I’m vegan when I’m at work, only really gets brought up with new people. If I’m honest I’m the type of fella who just wants to sit and quietly have his dinner whilst doing a sudoku not having ethical debates or thumping the tub. I don’t really have an interest in what others are eating but if the meat munchers do bring it on and try a get a rise then, well, it’s game on. Then we go back to brutalising ne’erdowells.
     My work is for an animal welfare organisation so it’s kind of a given that Vegans have a point, the ones there are vociferous as a number of the directors are also Vegan, they pretty much get away with meat shaming because meat = cruelty

Now I’ve got it in context your experience makes sense. You fancy a job swap?
     Not sure I’d do well in your industry!

You don’t have to do well. You just have to survive.
  • Options
    I've been thinking about this palm oil business, because I didn't realise that it was specifically a problem. I have two questions:

1. I get that there's a deforestation problem, as something has to make way for the plantations. Sadly that something is beautiful and necessary natural landscapes. But is there something particular to palm oil that makes it more destructive than any other crop?  If the whole world said stop, we don't accept this product anymore, we'll only accept olive oil, sunflower oil and banana skin oil, would we actually be any better off? Don't these crops also damage the environment? If so, then it mightn't actually matter which type of crop we we choose, as the root of the problem would be overpopulation rather that consumer/producer choices.

2. If the premise to the above question is wrong and there is something that makes palm oil more destructive than other crops, is there an easy list of products that could be avoided as we'd know that they contained the evil seeds? That said, I'm aware of the dangers of boycotting as I still refuse to buy Nescafe after hearing about the African baby milk scandal, but I've no idea if that still happens. I'm still Boycotting all Duchatelet products even though I suspect he's been superseded by the Rubbershow DT1 Automatic Lying Robot. And I still avoid Jaffa oranges in case they lower my sperm count :wink: 
  • Options
    I think the issue with palm oil is not the product itself @Stig but the ways that companies have acted to produce it. It can be done ethically and in such a way it wouldn’t be so damaging to the environment and animal and plant life but once again, companies put profit before planet.

This article is a good read and should help your understanding.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2018/12/palm-oil-products-borneo-africa-environment-impact/
  • Options
    Thanks very much for the link AUN - definitely well worth a look, but terrible seeing the images of deforestation. I was thinking as I read it, that I may try to avoid future consumption. But I still had a nagging doubt that even if I could, I could end up switching to products made from other crops where production would be just as bad. And how would I know whether the product I was buying was sourced from a destructive plantation or a supposedly good one like Mouila? As I was thinking that, I read this part, "Boycotting palm oil is unwise: Alternative oil crops would swallow even more land. It’s also futile, because palm oil is so pervasive and so often processed into ingredients, such as sodium lauryl sulfate* and stearic acid, whose origins are opaque to consumers. We’re not likely to cut palm oil consumption radically. The only way forward is to make its production less bad". I think it's just another thing to add to the list of stuff that I'm not happy with, but am personally powerless to do anything about.

*As an aside, I can remember reading years ago that sodium lauryl sulfate was a harsh cleaning agent that can be harmful to our bodies. I remember looking through the rows of different toothpastes in the supermarket trying to find one without this ingredient. If there was one, I couldn't find it. I think sometimes being a contentious consumer can be more trouble than it's worth.
  • Options
    Avoid non 100% peanut butters... Palm oil is often used in the cheaper ones. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    also avoid any peanut butter artificially sweetened with Xylitol if you have dogs. Xylitol in anything (Chocolate/jam or ice cream) is deadly toxic to dogs even in very small amounts.

• Options
    Stig said:
    Thanks very much for the link AUN - definitely well worth a look, but terrible seeing the images of deforestation. I was thinking as I read it, that I may try to avoid future consumption. But I still had a nagging doubt that even if I could, I could end up switching to products made from other crops where production would be just as bad. And how would I know whether the product I was buying was sourced from a destructive plantation or a supposedly good one like Mouila? As I was thinking that, I read this part, "Boycotting palm oil is unwise: Alternative oil crops would swallow even more land. It’s also futile, because palm oil is so pervasive and so often processed into ingredients, such as sodium lauryl sulfate* and stearic acid, whose origins are opaque to consumers. We’re not likely to cut palm oil consumption radically. The only way forward is to make its production less bad". I think it's just another thing to add to the list of stuff that I'm not happy with, but am personally powerless to do anything about.

*As an aside, I can remember reading years ago that sodium lauryl sulfate was a harsh cleaning agent that can be harmful to our bodies. I remember looking through the rows of different toothpastes in the supermarket trying to find one without this ingredient. If there was one, I couldn't find it. I think sometimes being a contentious consumer can be more trouble than it's worth.
    Sensodyne Daily Care is SLS free. I know this - cos I use it and have done for donkey's years, ever since my dentist recommended it. SLS gives me mouth ulcers. And the worst thing is, it's pointless - it's used as a foaming agent, and you don't need foam to clean your sodding teeth 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Peanut butter is crazy easy to make, avoid all those unnecessary additives
  • Options
    Oh fuck off
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another win for the respected w@nkers

Or simple profiteering by Greggs...
  • Options
    All businesses are in it for profit. They're just following the latest trend.

Kennedy's went out of business for not changing, the market for sausage rolls/pies changed and they didn't, pity really I loved their stuff. 
  • Options
    Vegans need to read this .. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49509504
  • Options
    Just eaten a Pret Bang Bang Broccoli Salad, assumed it was vegan and it isn't. Got some horrible gooey stuff (no idea what it is) absolutely disgusting
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/LewisHamilton/status/1166985084135727105?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Enews%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

I'm certainly never going to be vegan myself, and cant imagine a life without meat, but it does make me laugh when people say you cant perform at your maximum in life on a vegan diet. Lewis Hamilton is mentally and physically performing at a level far higher than 99.999% of the people on the planet and if it's not doing him any harm, I don't think Joe Average really needs to be too concerned.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/LewisHamilton/status/1166985084135727105?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Enews%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

I'm certainly never going to be vegan myself, and cant imagine a life without meat, but it does make me laugh when people say you cant perform at your maximum in life on a vegan diet. Lewis Hamilton is mentally and physically performing at a level far higher than 99.999% of the people on the planet and if it's not doing him any harm, I don't think Joe Average really needs to be too concerned.
    We dont have the luxury of employing a team of top chef's and caterers to follow us around everywhere, like Lewis.
  • Options
    MrWalker said:

We dont have the luxury of employing a team of top chef's and caterers to follow us around everywhere, like Lewis.
    MrWalker said:

my thoughts exactly, but still, good on him .. he certainly looks good and performs well on veggie/vegan grub ((:>)
  • Options
    MrWalker said:

Also, I don't doubt F1 is tough, but do me a favour... I doubt it's anywhere near as physically demanding in terms of fitness as probably 65% of other sports.
  • Options

Do me a lemon. He sits in a car and drives fast. I know it's a damn sight more taxing than your average desk job, but it ain't exactly Chris Froome or Mo Farah is it? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    kimbo said:
    Just eaten a Pret Bang Bang Broccoli Salad, assumed it was vegan and it isn't. Got some horrible gooey stuff (no idea what it is) absolutely disgusting

INGREDIENTS

Cos Lettuce, Long Stem Broccoli (16%), Edamame Soya Beans, Carrot & Mooli Slaw (Carrot, Mooli), Pickled Cabbage and Carrot Salad (Red Cabbage, Carrot, Sugar, Spirit Vinegar, Salt), Roasted Sesame Sauce (Mayonnaise (Rapeseed Oil, Water, Vinegar, Sugar, Stabiliser: Xanthan Gum; Modified Maize Starch, Dried Egg Yolk, Salt), Sugar, Tahini SesameSeed Paste, Tamari Sauce (Soya Bean, Water, Salt, Alcohol, Koji Rice), White Wine Vinegar, Water, Sesame Oil, Modified Maize Starch), Green Dressing (Sunflower Oil, Coconut Milk, Ginger Purée, Water, Coriander Leaf, White Wine Vinegar, Parsley, Spring Onion, Spinach Leaf, Sugar, Tamari Soya Sauce (Water, Soya Bean, Salt, Rice, Alcohol), Concentrated Lime Juice, Jalapeño Chili, Sea Salt, Lime Leaves, Garlic Purée), Lime, Sesame Seed Mix (Black and White Sesame Seeds), Mint, Chilli Salt (Paprika, Sea Salt, Chilli Flakes).

• Options
    This may not define the athleticism and fitness of motor racing drivers, but it forms some kind of comparison.

http://www.thesuperstars.org/comp/81world.html
  • Options

Do me a lemon. He sits in a car and drives fast. I know it's a damn sight more taxing than your average desk job, but it ain't exactly Chris Froome or Mo Farah is it? 
    The lack of knowledge is almost laughable here. F1 drivers have been proven to be some of the fittest sportsmen going. They lose a ridiculous amount of weight from sweat in a race - so much so the team has to add lead to the car to factor it in. Jenson Button stopped racing and immediately became a competitive triathlete. The g forces they are exposed to would make you or I pass out never mind race competitively.

you would struggle down the local kart track for 15 mins - anyone can probably relate that karting is knackering. And that’s bloody karting!
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    kimbo said:

INGREDIENTS

Cos Lettuce, Long Stem Broccoli (16%), Edamame Soya Beans, Carrot & Mooli Slaw (Carrot, Mooli), Pickled Cabbage and Carrot Salad (Red Cabbage, Carrot, Sugar, Spirit Vinegar, Salt), Roasted Sesame Sauce (Mayonnaise (Rapeseed Oil, Water, Vinegar, Sugar, Stabiliser: Xanthan Gum; Modified Maize Starch, Dried Egg Yolk, Salt), Sugar, Tahini SesameSeed Paste, Tamari Sauce (Soya Bean, Water, Salt, Alcohol, Koji Rice), White Wine Vinegar, Water, Sesame Oil, Modified Maize Starch), Green Dressing (Sunflower Oil, Coconut Milk, Ginger Purée, Water, Coriander Leaf, White Wine Vinegar, Parsley, Spring Onion, Spinach Leaf, Sugar, Tamari Soya Sauce (Water, Soya Bean, Salt, Rice, Alcohol), Concentrated Lime Juice, Jalapeño Chili, Sea Salt, Lime Leaves, Garlic Purée), Lime, Sesame Seed Mix (Black and White Sesame Seeds), Mint, Chilli Salt (Paprika, Sea Salt, Chilli Flakes).

Are soya and sesame not vegan?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    kimbo said:

INGREDIENTS

Are soya and sesame not vegan?

Got egg in it. I think the bold words are the allergens