Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• Options

'Veganism is compassion'. Not it's not. It's a dietary choice, nothing more.

This faux justification is nothing short of nauseating.

Narcicism of the ugliest kind.

Behave. If you think I went vegan cause I was desperate to eat tofu and broccoli over some gamon you are bonkers. It is absolutely compassionate to go vegan. Trying to down play it is trying to downplay it is riduculous. So just for the record pal, animals die for genuinely no reason other than greed, they live in awful conditions from the word go to be killed and well you know the rest. Vegans feel awful about that. Now here is the definition of compassion. But of course if you want to ignore the facts that's fine, most people do
    Listen, son, if you feel the need to wrap your dietary choice up as being some kind of compassionate crusade then that's absolutely fine. So long as you know, deep down, that you're just massaging your ego and then forcefully projecting it on to other people as some sort of moral war that you're fighting.

Animals die due to a variety of reasons. To suggest that they die for no reason other than greed is nothing short of wilfully lying.

If you want to project falsehoods then that's fine, as most vegans do.

Just remember, you don't have a monopoly on compassion or the feeling awful about something. You just let your emotions get the better of you more so than others.

Happy Friday :smile:
    It is. That's a fact. I don't do it for health reasons for myself, or because I prefer veg so what else could it possibly be? Or are you trying to imply that I've cut out some of my past favourite foods, just so I can say 'i'm compassionate' and that's to dampen 'my ego'. Mental.

'animals die due to a variety of reasons'. Why have you even said this? We are literally on a vegan thread. I can't make this any clearer, animals don't have to die for your food choice. So please tell me how that sentence is even relevant right now. No different from me robbing someone and saying 'listen mate, don't tell me I'm wrong, people get robbed every day''

I talk facts or I don't bother at all. Forget your bullshit monopoly nonsense. I've already shown you what compassion means, if you want to be a troll and overlook it for what it is that's fine. Just keep it to yourself
    Er, I think you'll find that they absolutely do. I choose to eat meat. Ergo, animals have to die. I like my red meat, on the whole, rare but I draw the line at raw.

You talk, as do most people, in opinions. There's a massive difference between fact and opinion. A choice is not a fact. There may be factors you use to justify those choices but those factors aren't facts.

Forget your compassion bullshit and tell it for what it is, a choice. A choice that not everybody wants, or wishes, to make.

What's it like to live in a bubble where you believe you only talk in facts and that anything you say should never be challenged because, like, facts? It goes full circle to the ego part, again.

You'll be levitating soon.
    Blimey, for a WUM you're getting a tad angry.
  • Options

Behave. If you think I went vegan cause I was desperate to eat tofu and broccoli over some gamon you are bonkers. It is absolutely compassionate to go vegan. Trying to down play it is trying to downplay it is riduculous. So just for the record pal, animals die for genuinely no reason other than greed, they live in awful conditions from the word go to be killed and well you know the rest. Vegans feel awful about that. Now here is the definition of compassion. But of course if you want to ignore the facts that's fine, most people do
    Listen, son, if you feel the need to wrap your dietary choice up as being some kind of compassionate crusade then that's absolutely fine. So long as you know, deep down, that you're just massaging your ego and then forcefully projecting it on to other people as some sort of moral war that you're fighting.

Animals die due to a variety of reasons. To suggest that they die for no reason other than greed is nothing short of wilfully lying.

Just remember, you don't have a monopoly on compassion or the feeling awful about something. You just let your emotions get the better of you more so than others.

It is. That's a fact. I don't do it for health reasons for myself, or because I prefer veg so what else could it possibly be? Or are you trying to imply that I've cut out some of my past favourite foods, just so I can say 'i'm compassionate' and that's to dampen 'my ego'. Mental.

'animals die due to a variety of reasons'. Why have you even said this? We are literally on a vegan thread. I can't make this any clearer, animals don't have to die for your food choice. So please tell me how that sentence is even relevant right now. No different from me robbing someone and saying 'listen mate, don't tell me I'm wrong, people get robbed every day''

I talk facts or I don't bother at all. Forget your bullshit monopoly nonsense. I've already shown you what compassion means, if you want to be a troll and overlook it for what it is that's fine. Just keep it to yourself
    Er, I think you'll find that they absolutely do. I choose to eat meat. Ergo, animals have to die. I like my red meat, on the whole, rare but I draw the line at raw.

You talk, as do most people, in opinions. There's a massive difference between fact and opinion. A choice is not a fact. There may be factors you use to justify those choices but those factors aren't facts.

Forget your compassion bullshit and tell it for what it is, a choice. A choice that not everybody wants, or wishes, to make.

What's it like to live in a bubble where you believe you only talk in facts and that anything you say should never be challenged because, like, facts? It goes full circle to the ego part, again.

Blimey, for a WUM you're getting a tad angry.
    Not angry at all @Arsenetatters

I know it may seem like that as words on a screen but it's far from the truth....and that's a fact :wink:

I like the 'angry' and 'WUM' angles as a method of discreditation. One of the first pages in the book.
  • Options

What a load of nonsense. The way animals are raised and slaughtered on an industrial scale is barbaric. I admire vegans for their choice not to partake in the violence.

I'm not sure how you have become so desensitised to what life is like for the animals you eat.
  • Options

What a load of nonsense. The way animals are raised and slaughtered on an industrial scale is barbaric. I admire vegans for their choice not to partake in the violence.

I'm not sure how you have become so desensitised to what life is like for the animals you eat.
    How do you know what the life is like for the animals I eat? I ask that with the utmost respect as well.

Unless you know how I source my meat, of which I have commented on before, then you cannot pass judgement on how sensitised, or otherwise, I am.

I also admire the choice vegans make. Where I disagree is the dressing up of that choice as being some sort of morally superior mindset that is drenched in compassion.
  • Options

The lentils will do that to you......
  • Options

• Options
    Different morals.
    I would not easily use the term superior or inferior but prefer to use different.
    There is however an emotive angle.
    Emotionally, and morally for me I don't want to turn my stomach into an animal's graveyard if it can be avoided, which in the modern world it can be.
    I agree that originally it was a choice, but now does not feel like a choice but simply part of who I am.
    If offered Roland's departure if I ate a fish finger or a bacon sandwich I am afraid Roland stays on that basis.
  • Options

I've done a quick Google definition search for you again cause clearly you don't understand words and their meanings.

Here is the sentence. I forum user, Braziliance am a vegan for pure compassionate reasons. I genuinely barely ate a vegetable before turning vegan and certainly do miss junk foods like dominos and a big Mac. Although I miss these tastes they are not worth the suffering of animals.

That sentence is factual about me, and it also shows how being a vegan can be a compassionate choice.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
  • Options

I've done a quick Google definition search for you again cause clearly you don't understand words and their meanings.

Here is the sentence. I forum user, Braziliance am a vegan for pure compassionate reasons. I genuinely barely ate a vegetable before turning vegan and certainly do miss junk foods like dominos and a big Mac. Although I miss these tastes they are not worth the suffering of animals.

That sentence is factual about me, and it also shows how being a vegan can be a compassionate choice.
    If you could keep the confirmation that it's a choice to yourself then that would be great.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stevelamb said:

seth plum said:

Different morals.
    I would not easily use the term superior or inferior but prefer to use different.
    There is however an emotive angle.
    Emotionally, and morally for me I don't want to turn my stomach into an animal's graveyard if it can be avoided, which in the modern world it can be.
    I agree that originally it was a choice, but now does not feel like a choice but simply part of who I am.
    If offered Roland's departure if I ate a fish finger or a bacon sandwich I am afraid Roland stays on that basis.

So for Roland to leave you are willing to take the life of at least two animals.......and you mention morals!!
    Does eating vegetables affect your ability to read?
  • Options

If you could keep the confirmation that it's a choice to yourself then that would be great.
    Says the Millwall fan on a Charlton forum on the only vegan thread. Do one
  • Options
    Obviously. Comment retracted with apologies.
  • Options

Okay. On that basis I'll put my next comments around veganism on the Sale of Charlton thread.

@Arsenetatters , now's the time to suggest that someone may be getting a tad angry :wink:
  • Options
    When the majority of little kids move on to solids they are usually trusting, and tend to accept the food they are given, mainly not knowing where it comes from.
    Not a lot of choice in operation there.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

When the majority of little kids move on to solids they are usually trusting, and tend to accept the food they are given, mainly not knowing where it comes from.
    Not a lot of choice in operation there.

You can apply the same argument for both religion and, to a more recent addition, gender.

Did you choose the gender of your children before they had the chance to do so?
  • Options
    Yes it is parenting.
    Often the impact of early years parenting stays for life.
    Can happen with religion too.
    Some parents who don't give their children meat or fish are criticised for it, the theory goes that certain nutrients are more easily assimilated from dead creatures than dead plants.
    However there are no nutrients that can only be got from dead creatures.
  • Options

Okay. On that basis I'll put my next comments around veganism on the Sale of Charlton thread.

@Arsenetatters , now's the time to suggest that someone may be getting a tad angry :wink:
    And that's what WUMs want ;)
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Yes it is parenting.
    Some parents who don't give their children meat or fish are criticised for it, the theory goes that certain nutrients are more easily assimilated from dead creatures than dead plants.

Good parenting is making choices for their very young children that they believe are in their childrens' best interests, and not necessarily choices that they themselves would prefer. When older, good parenting means educating their children in the choices they now have that they can comprehend and rationalise for themselves.

Both of my sons were Christened, neither were confirmed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

seth plum said:

Yes it is parenting.

Good parenting is making choices for their very young children that they believe are in their childrens' best interests, and not necessarily choices that they themselves would prefer. When older, good parenting means educating their children in the choices they now have that they can comprehend and rationalise for themselves.

Both of my sons were Christened, neither were confirmed.
    I wouldn't particularly argue here. However what is good parenting to one is bad to others. At the extreme parents who make their children undergo FGM, or circumcision or arranged marriages probably believe it is 'good' parenting. Bringing up a child in a religion can be seen as both a blessing and an abomination depending on viewpoint.
    Some say that veganism or vegetarianism is a lifestyle choice, but maybe if you're brought up as one it isn't.
  • Options

Personally I don't know how Ebdon does it... 41 and still peak fitness enough to hold a snooker cue for hours at a time... What an athlete....

This is Ebdon we are talking about, he manages to hold his cue probably twice as long as every other player on the tour(apart from.McLeod)
  • Options

Personally I don't know how Ebdon does it... 41 and still peak fitness enough to hold a snooker cue for hours at a time... What an athlete....

This is Ebdon we are talking about, he manages to hold his cue probably twice as long as every other player on the tour(apart from.McLeod)
    are we still talking about snooker?
  • Options
    “People go vegan to massage their own egos.”

What a load of old bollocks.
  • Options

Meat free bollocks?
  • Options

Meat free bollocks?

Yeah, Greggs are selling them apparently, following the raging success of their meat free sausage.

• Options
    edited January 2019

Your post suggests that that was the wording used.

Can you point me to where that is, please? Thank you.

Seth had a similar occurrence recently where he was misquoted so he'll, no doubt, share my frustration.
  • Options

Your post suggests that that was the wording used.

Can you point me to where that is, please? Thank you.

Seth had a similar occurrence recently where he was misquoted so he'll, no doubt, share my frustration.

At 7.45 am you wrote in your post the following:

“So long as you know, deep down, that you’re just massaging your own ego”

If I’ve misconstrued your words or somehow taken them out of context the I’ll be man enough to apologise. However, I feel that I’m quite correct to call that group of words as bollocks.
  • Options
    Really? People go vegetarian, what people call vegan now but is probably more veggie without more stuff and hardcore vegan where you don’t eat honey because of the harm done to the bees for many different reasons.

The more evangelical the individual, be they meat eater, veggie or vegan, the more likely they are to expose an element of hypocrisy in their arguments.

There are environmental and ethical grounds for not intensively farming animals or plant based proteins. No intensively farmed products are good for the environment, some people are very opposed to ending any animal’s life, I am not sure if any of these would intentionally harm a fly or step on an ant, probably a limited number.

What you eat is a choice and yes we are mostly divorced from the actions taken to provide that food.

Make your own decisions, few free to explain why you have made them if you want but please don’t tell other people what they should do. They will make their own choices.