Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• Options
    It’s not that binary.
    There’s also those who don’t care that much.......that’s where I fit in.
  • Options

Here in Broadstairs we now have a new Vegan Restaurant that does vegetarian fish and chips - no idea whats subs for fish ...

It's not vegetarian fish and chips. It's simply a vegetarian meal with absolutely no correlation to fish and chips. The only reason the handle 'fish & chips' is used is to make the un-appetising meal sound edible.
    Even vegetarians need the suggestion of meat or fish (whether it be vegetarian sausages, facon or other such meat based references) to sell a proportion of the foods aimed at that target market.

What sounds more appealing, vegetable cylinders or vegetarian sausages?
    Actually that's pretty wide of the mark.

I've had vegan fish and chips that taste identical to fish you would get from the fish and chip shop, only difference is the texture is less of a bite and more soft. From two different places as well, one was from a vegan pub in town and the other in a Greene King. I am very critical when it comes to comparing a vegan replacement because I practically lived off meat before, but if I was to ever go back to non vegan for some bizarre reason fish wouldn't be on the agenda when I can get it vegan.

The suggestion of a meat title is also in most cases, to make a regular eater feel open to the idea of eating it and getting an idea of what it is in a way. And of course it helps a transitioning vegan.

• Options

Animal Aid's Christmas Fayre
    SUNDAY 9th DEC 2018
    Kensington Town Hall, Hornton Street, W8 7NX
    10:00 AM - 4:30 PM

Programme: animalaid.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Fayreprogramme2018.pdf

Grey squirrels - Non native, invasive species, all but wiped out the native reds in the UK. Shot loads of em to help with red re-introduction, but they never died in vain, they got eaten = CONSERVATION
  • Options

seth plum said:

Poached eggs, avocado and spinach bagel from brunch, with lashings of black pepper and BBQ sauce.

Wallop

Freshly ground black pepper is so great. In the middle ages it was dearer than gold.
    I also own a pepper grinder that doesn't break does a brilliant job and is guaranteed for life.

Is it a Peugeot? I need a new one.
    Yes. has your old Peugeot broken?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Poached eggs, avocado and spinach bagel from brunch, with lashings of black pepper and BBQ sauce.

Wallop

Freshly ground black pepper is so great. In the middle ages it was dearer than gold.
    I also own a pepper grinder that doesn't break does a brilliant job and is guaranteed for life.

Is it a Peugeot? I need a new one.
    Yes. has your old Peugeot broken?
    No mate. Cole Mason I think.
  • Options

Here in Broadstairs we now have a new Vegan Restaurant that does vegetarian fish and chips - no idea whats subs for fish ...

Don’t ask

• Options

It's not vegetarian fish and chips. It's simply a vegetarian meal with absolutely no correlation to fish and chips. The only reason the handle 'fish & chips' is used is to make the un-appetising meal sound edible.
    Even vegetarians need the suggestion of meat or fish (whether it be vegetarian sausages, facon or other such meat based references) to sell a proportion of the foods aimed at that target market.

What sounds more appealing, vegetable cylinders or vegetarian sausages?
    Actually that's pretty wide of the mark.

I've had vegan fish and chips that taste identical to fish you would get from the fish and chip shop, only difference is the texture is less of a bite and more soft. From two different places as well, one was from a vegan pub in town and the other in a Greene King. I am very critical when it comes to comparing a vegan replacement because I practically lived off meat before, but if I was to ever go back to non vegan for some bizarre reason fish wouldn't be on the agenda when I can get it vegan.

The suggestion of a meat title is also in most cases, to make a regular eater feel open to the idea of eating it and getting an idea of what it is in a way. And of course it helps a transitioning vegan.

Please don’t take this as a pop because it isn’t, but I don’t really understand why vegan “fish and chips” is called fish and chips ? Doesn’t really help the vegan cause or entice a “real” fish and chip eater to partake. Not this one anyway. I find the same over “veggie mince”. It’s not mince because 99% of people would equate that name to mince beef, lamb etc. Why not just call it what it actually is.

Serious question. What is the fish substitute?

• Options
    edited November 2018

SUNDAY 9th DEC 2018

Grey squirrels - Non native, invasive species, all but wiped out the native reds in the UK. Shot loads of em to help with red re-introduction, but they never died in vain, they got eaten = CONSERVATION
    Have you tried the squirrel substitute?

• Options

SUNDAY 9th DEC 2018

Have you tried the squirrel substitute?

Yeah, it's called rabbit and vice versa
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    fish substitute? its squirrel but shhhhhhhhh dont tell the vegans
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I got the arsehole with a mate's husband over the weekend. We might not be friends any more after I called him a "stupid, selfish, ignorant, thick ". TBH, that's not a massive loss - she's been a mate for 30 odd years, so our friendship will survive (it survived me rattling her when I was a pissed 20 year old so this Johnny come lately hasn't a chance really, at four years of marriage)

He said he was thinking of feeding their cats a vegan diet. I only resorted to profanity and threats of violence after trying the usual common sense approach of telling him patiently that cats are obligate carnivores, that their diet absolutely requires meat (and not supplements), and that feeding them a vegan diet would make them ill and slowly kill them.

Now thinking of staging a bizarre 'animal rights' style rescue of their cats on humane grounds. Anyone want 2 neutered male tabby cats, somewhere between 3 and 5 years old?
  • Options
    edited November 2018

I got the arsehole with a mate's husband over the weekend. We might not be friends any more after I called him a "stupid, selfish, ignorant, thick ". TBH, that's not a massive loss - she's been a mate for 30 odd years, so our friendship will survive (it survived me rattling her when I was a pissed 20 year old so this Johnny come lately hasn't a chance really, at four years of marriage)

He said he was thinking of feeding their cats a vegan diet. I only resorted to profanity and threats of violence after trying the usual common sense approach of telling him patiently that cats are obligate carnivores, that their diet absolutely requires meat (and not supplements), and that feeding them a vegan diet would make them ill and slowly kill them.

Now thinking of staging a bizarre 'animal rights' style rescue of their cats on humane grounds. Anyone want 2 neutered male tabby cats, somewhere between 3 and 5 years old?

I see the RSPCA are threatening legal action on the grounds of animal cruelty for anyone feeding their pet cats vegan food and not meat based
  • Options

I got the arsehole with a mate's husband over the weekend. We might not be friends any more after I called him a "stupid, selfish, ignorant, thick cunt". TBH, that's not a massive loss - she's been a mate for 30 odd years, so our friendship will survive (it survived me rattling her when I was a pissed 20 year old so this Johnny come lately hasn't a chance really, at four years of marriage)

I see the RSPCA are threatening legal action on the grounds of animal cruelty for anyone feeding their pet cats vegan food and not meat based
    Really? That's interesting - have you got a link?
  • Options
    Preferably one not from the Fail so I don't feel filthy reading it...
  • Options
    So veganism causes (some) vegans to harm animals.

Well I never.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Preferably one not from the Fail so I don't feel filthy reading it...

You called someone a "stupid, selfish, ignorant, thick".......I wouldn't get too prissy about your choice of supporting documentation :smiley:
  • Options
    I'm just of the opinion that there are far more important things to be worried about than a chicken/pig/cow etc. being killed, if i got bogged down in things like that i'm not sure i could enjoy my life tbh....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There is no such thing as Vegan Fish.
    FACT

• Options
    Not sure how the RSPCA would prosecute based on a vegan diet for cats, other than by someone grassing up (no pun intended) a neighbour or mate...

Wait a second...

:neutral::trollface:
  • Options

Not sure how the RSPCA would prosecute based on a vegan diet for cats, other than by someone grassing up (no pun intended) a neighbour or mate...

Wait a second...

The RSPCA don't know what they're talking about when it comes to animal welfare tbh, but I think this one they've got bang on
  • Options
    Just had whole roasted cauliflower according to the recipe in the Sinole Ottolenghi book. Yum.
  • Options

Wait a second...

RSPCA would confiscate the cat from the owners and then euthenise it.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Wait a second...

Put it out it's misery
  • Options

Just had whole roasted cauliflower according to the recipe in the Sinole Ottolenghi book. Yum.

Love a roasted cauliflower! I often makes these https://www.noracooks.com/vegan-cauliflower-buffalo-wings/ delicious
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Wait a second...

Nope. That's what PETA would do...