Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2018
    My 2 sister in laws on my Mrs side -

SiL #1- Turned veggie years ago at the same time as my Mrs. Has a massive phobia of knives so doesn't have them in the house (except table knives), doesn't cook unless it's a pasta based, out the jar, type thing. Now turned vegan and I can say, with hand on my heart, that this has reduced her personal variety of food she will eat, simply because she has no interest in looking for alternatives, she'll just eat packed food that is marked "vegan" and obviously buy the pre-cut veg when she can be arsed. This is all because she is not what would be described as a "foodie" and would eat easy-to-prepare things, whether she's a vegan, a veggie or a Nazi pedo meat eater.

SiL #2 - Eats meat, travels all over the world enjoying food, plays sport and competes in tough mudder type races every other weekend. She is definitely a "foodie" type, but who has had every single food allergy under the sun. Tells my Mrs not to eat this and drink that, and now murmuring about becoming a vegan. If she does, I can't see it broaden her food horizon either as it's already substantial as it is. She's always making alternative chocolate cake with no chocolate, eggs, flour etc. in em. I'm just getting ready for the lectures we're gonna get on why we should be vegan too.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    If we had to go out and kill our dinners, a few more of us would be vegans. I think those that care passionately about animal welfare have a noble position and I think they have a right to look down on me. I eat meat because I like it and I try not to think too deeply about how it gets on my plate or that pigs are very intelligent and have been shown to show empathy and emotions. It is uncomfortable to think about that, but to my shame I'd rather blank that out of my mind and eat food I enjoy.

I'm thinking a bit too deeply now, so will put it out of my mind. Not something to be proud of really.
  • Options

How about wafer thin ham?

Good old Nana.
  • Options

My 2 sister in laws on my Mrs side -

SiL #1- Turned veggie years ago at the same time as my Mrs. Has a massive phobia of knives so doesn't have them in the house (except table knives), doesn't cook unless it's a pasta based, out the jar, type thing. Now turned vegan and I can say, with hand on my heart, that this has reduced her personal variety of food she will eat, simply because she has no interest in looking for alternatives, she'll just eat packed food that is marked "vegan" and obviously buy the pre-cut veg when she can be arsed. This is all because she is not what would be described as a "foodie" and would eat easy-to-prepare things, whether she's a vegan, a veggie or a Nazi pedo meat eater.

SiL #2 - Eats meat, travels all over the world enjoying food, plays sport and competes in tough mudder type races every other weekend. She is definitely a "foodie" type, but who has had every single food allergy under the sun. Tells my Mrs not to eat this and drink that, and now murmuring about becoming a vegan. If she does, I can't see it broaden her food horizon either as it's already substantial as it is. She's always making alternative chocolate cake with no chocolate, eggs, flour etc. in em. I'm just getting ready for the lectures we're gonna get on why we should be vegan too.

How big are their tits?
  • Options

If we had to go out and kill our dinners, a few more of us would be vegans. I think those that care passionately about animal welfare have a noble position and I think they have a right to look down on me. I eat meat because I like it and I try not to think too deeply about how it gets on my plate or that pigs are very intelligent and have been shown to show empathy and emotions. It is uncomfortable to think about that, but to my shame I'd rather blank that out of my mind and eat food I enjoy.

I'm thinking a bit too deeply now, so will put it out of my mind. Not something to be proud of really.

Each to their own. The only thing that's guaranteed is whatever our diet is we'll peg it eventually.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    If it is by choking on a sausage, pigs will have got some deserved revenge on me. That didn't come out right - but feel free to make some jokes around it!
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I am not sure that the personal choice of vegetarianism or veganism is driven by the desire to be morally superior, but there is a high likelihood that moral considerations played a part in that personal choice.
    If carnivores cry 'moral superiority' it might be because the very existence of vegans and vegetarians make them ponder their own moral position(s) and that is something they don't particularly want to do.
    Contemplating issues of morality in food, and life generally, is challenging for a lot of people, me included. The results can be more emotive than scientific.
  • Options

The Guardian 1st Nov 2018
    Waitrose report: Animal welfare, environmental and health concerns driving change in UK diet.

“This year, we’ve seen vegan food go mainstream” said Natalie Mitchell, Waitrose’s head of brand development. “Whether cooking at home, buying prepared food or trying the newly vegan-friendly restaurants, people are discovering that it tastes amazing.”

https://theguardian.com/business/2018/nov/01/third-of-britons-have-stopped-or-reduced-meat-eating-vegan-vegetarian-report

Agree. Removing a whole lot of food choices from ones diet must really make your dinner taste amazing.

Actually going vegan widened my food choices and I eat and appreciate a lot of food stuff that I hadn’t considered or heard of before.
    I'm unclear how it widened them?

Er, because I now ‘eat and appreciate a lot of food stuff that I hadn’t considered or heard of before’. I was never a big meat eater before I first went vegetarian nor did I consume vast amounts of dairy before I went vegan. So I cut out a few things and replaced them with considerably more. It’s given me a whole new interest in cooking and experimenting in the kitchen.

So it increased your knowledge, it still decreased your choices.

From my own personal perspective it DID increase MY personal choices but sorry if my own experience isn’t good enough for you.

A non-vegan has more choices than a vegan in terms of what they can eat.

How many different species of animals does your average meat eater in Britain derive their food from on a regular basis? Pig? Chicken? Sheep? Cow? Goat maybe? So let’s say half a dozen. Add in dairy products so milk, cheese, yogurt.
    Now, you can prepare that meat in anyway you want but fundamentally the starting point is the animal itself. The same half dozen species of animals. Now when you consider that there are over 20000 species of edible plants can you see where I’m coming from?
    No. I can eat meat and plants.

Yes, but from my personal experience my choices have widened. I know what you’re saying but if my initial comment has been construed as a suggestion that that’s the case in general then I apologise.

Though why I’m really bothering to argue a point is debatable. After all, nothing anyone on here or in any arena will change the fact that I find it morally wrong to commodify and consume other sentient beings.
    Nobody is trying to change your moral standpoint. They're just pointing out that your 100% incorrect in asserting that your choices have widened. Especially as you said you knew about all of those choices beforehand.

Ffs, my choices have widened because I’ve allowed them to, because I’ve chosen to utilise food that I haven’t before. I eat far more varied meals than I did before, not sticking to the same old tired choices that I’d locked into. Yes, I concede that the choice was always there but going vegan helped me widen my culinary skills. All on a PERSONAL level. So maybe if I had been more clear when I made my original post I could have avoided and not lost the last twenty-odd minutes of my life.

Agreed that your culinary skills have widened.

Close the thread.

Might as well because it’s just a thread where a small band of posters have to try and justify their standpoint to a larger group of posters who see nothing wrong in the commodification of beings who think, feel and express emotions. If ever a thread just turns in circles it’s this one.

So long as you stay morally superior then you'll always be able to titter at everyone.

I'd love to be you.
    Never once have I claimed any kind of moral superiority over anyone thanks.
  • Options

Waitrose report: Animal welfare, environmental and health concerns driving change in UK diet.

“This year, we’ve seen vegan food go mainstream” said Natalie Mitchell, Waitrose’s head of brand development. “Whether cooking at home, buying prepared food or trying the newly vegan-friendly restaurants, people are discovering that it tastes amazing.”

https://theguardian.com/business/2018/nov/01/third-of-britons-have-stopped-or-reduced-meat-eating-vegan-vegetarian-report

Agree. Removing a whole lot of food choices from ones diet must really make your dinner taste amazing.

Actually going vegan widened my food choices and I eat and appreciate a lot of food stuff that I hadn’t considered or heard of before.

Er, because I now ‘eat and appreciate a lot of food stuff that I hadn’t considered or heard of before’. I was never a big meat eater before I first went vegetarian nor did I consume vast amounts of dairy before I went vegan. So I cut out a few things and replaced them with considerably more. It’s given me a whole new interest in cooking and experimenting in the kitchen.

From my own personal perspective it DID increase MY personal choices but sorry if my own experience isn’t good enough for you.

How many different species of animals does your average meat eater in Britain derive their food from on a regular basis? Pig? Chicken? Sheep? Cow? Goat maybe? So let’s say half a dozen. Add in dairy products so milk, cheese, yogurt.
    Now, you can prepare that meat in anyway you want but fundamentally the starting point is the animal itself. The same half dozen species of animals. Now when you consider that there are over 20000 species of edible plants can you see where I’m coming from?

Yes, but from my personal experience my choices have widened. I know what you’re saying but if my initial comment has been construed as a suggestion that that’s the case in general then I apologise.

Though why I’m really bothering to argue a point is debatable. After all, nothing anyone on here or in any arena will change the fact that I find it morally wrong to commodify and consume other sentient beings.
    Nobody is trying to change your moral standpoint. They're just pointing out that your 100% incorrect in asserting that your choices have widened. Especially as you said you knew about all of those choices beforehand.

Ffs, my choices have widened because I’ve allowed them to, because I’ve chosen to utilise food that I haven’t before. I eat far more varied meals than I did before, not sticking to the same old tired choices that I’d locked into. Yes, I concede that the choice was always there but going vegan helped me widen my culinary skills. All on a PERSONAL level. So maybe if I had been more clear when I made my original post I could have avoided and not lost the last twenty-odd minutes of my life.

Close the thread.

Might as well because it’s just a thread where a small band of posters have to try and justify their standpoint to a larger group of posters who see nothing wrong in the commodification of beings who think, feel and express emotions. If ever a thread just turns in circles it’s this one.

So long as you stay morally superior then you'll always be able to titter at everyone.

I'd love to be you.
    "group of posters who see nothing wrong in the commodification of beings who think, feel and express emotions."

If I've misinterpreted that bit then I apologise.
  • Options

Close the thread.

I'd love to be you.
    "group of posters who see nothing wrong in the commodification of beings who think, feel and express emotions."

Er, how is that me showing any sense of moral superiority? Its a statement of fact surely.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2018

Close the thread.

I'd love to be you.

Er, how is that me showing any sense of moral superiority? Its a statement of fact surely.
    Group of sanctimonious posters telling me what I should or shouldn't eat, they have no right to do so - I have free will and will choose whatever I decide to eat unless and until it is made illegal to eat beef, lamb, pork, venison, kangaroo et al.

Just a statement of fact.
  • Options
    If you can find anything on this thread @bobmunro where I have directly told others what they should and shouldn’t eat then I’ll donate twenty quid to the charity of your choice.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

If you can find anything on this thread @bobmunro where I have directly told others what they should and shouldn’t eat then I’ll donate twenty quid to the charity of your choice.

I never said you did (genuinely) - I was just making a statement of fact - massively distorted/weighted by my own feelings on the subject.
  • Options

Close the thread.

I'd love to be you.

Like I said. If I've misinterpreted it then I apologise.
  • Options

Meat martyrs be warned: the vegans will inherit the Earth

Something about veganism seems to make a certain kind of person – socially conservative, enraged by the very idea of gender-neutral pronouns – lose the plot.

https://theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/01/vegan-william-sitwell-waitrose-meat-plant

Is it compulsory to be tedious, smug and superior if you're a vegan? It's almost like you want to be disliked.
  • Options

Close the thread.

I'd love to be you.

Sorry to interject here, but is that quote an example of moral superiority? Simply seems like a personal observation to me.
  • Options
    Thank you @seth plum
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Close the thread.

I'd love to be you.

Sorry to interject here, but is that quote an example of moral superiority? Simply seems like a personal observation to me.
    Thanks for your observation.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Close the thread.

I'd love to be you.

Using the word 'commodification' in such a way comes across as moral superiority to me. The poster may feel morally superior but they won't admit to doing so as it wouldn't look good.
  • Options

seth plum said:

Close the thread.

I'd love to be you.

Using the word 'commodification' in such a way comes across as moral superiority to me. The poster may feel morally superior but they won't admit to doing so as it wouldn't look good.
    Oh come on. Can I issue the apology or not?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

seth plum said:

Close the thread.

I'd love to be you.

Depends if you're guilty of 'commodification'? You might need a lawyer.
  • Options

seth plum said:

Close the thread.

I'd love to be you.

Depends if you're guilty of 'commodification'? You might need a lawyer.
    I don't see meat as a commodity, thankfully. It's purely a means to quench my thirst for red meat.

I took the stance that it's better to be in the club and trying to change from within, rather than outside looking in with no say on how things should pan out :wink:
  • Options

seth plum said:

Close the thread.

I'd love to be you.

Perhaps that is the point I made above?
    Meat eating when folk reflect on it raises challenging moral questions for some.
    Calling out somebody for supposed moral superiority does not engage with the issues, and can be seen as a defensive reaction rather than engaging with the arguments.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Close the thread.

I'd love to be you.

Perhaps that is the point I made above?
    Meat eating when folk reflect on it raises challenging moral questions for some.
    Calling out somebody for supposed moral superiority does not engage with the issues, and can be seen as a defensive reaction rather than engaging with the arguments.
    Don't you worry your y-fronts, Seth. I have no morality issues around the consumption of meat. Neither was my quip a defensive reaction. I saw it, initially, as an expression of moral superiority but also added the caveat that I'd apologise if I was wrong. Which I did.

You seem to be trying to make something more out of it. There's really no need, old chap.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    The state of some of the comments on this thread is the exact reason why I pretend my smoked tofu slice rolls are actually gone off turkey slices when people ask why the funny colour.

Just seen someone say that they think they eat a more varied diet now because being a vegan limits their options and in response 5+ people constantly quoting said person and saying basically 'lol how can you, you now can't eat meat'. Playground of a thread.

Agree with what that poster said, when I wasn't vegan I would just have a bog standard curry with chicken, but then cause I missed the texture of chicken I had to look for replacements to make it taste as nice that I wouldn't usually add. Still baffled that a bunch of people couldn't understand that's all the poster meant, didn't realise we had so many closet Millwall apes on here
  • Options

seth plum said:

Close the thread.

I'd love to be you.

As if @hoof_it_up_to_benty . To be quite honest I couldn’t care less how I look to you, I’m a forty five year old man, comfortable in his own skin and secure in my beliefs. If you can’t see that animals are treated as commodities ie things and not sentient beings then that is down to you. I see it differently. That doesn’t equate to me feeling ‘morally superior’.
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/u_JEMuTLYPU

@hoof_it_up_to_benty watch this and tell me that sentient beings aren’t being treated as a commodity, a raw product of trade or commerce. These are living, breathing beings, not car parts on a production line.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I can't resist responding to the comment about Vegan hypocrisy above.
    Millions upon millions of Christians eat meat and fish, yet one of their 10 Commandments is 'Thou shalt not kill'.
    In terms of raw numbers it dwarves Vegan hypocrisy.
    (This information is useful for dealing with pesky Jehovah Witnesses when they come knocking).

This is probably the least of the problems caused by religion and the brain washed non thinkers who worship it!