Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rheumatoid Arthritis

124»

Comments

• Options
    Bland food diet the way to start. Fish chicken,  avoid red meat and processed food. My dad found strawberries set his off so keep a food diary to see what might be a trigger. 
    I’m vegan so my food is already bland!! 
  • Options
    have have you tried anti inflammatory CBD oil? I have MS and it helps me.
  • Options
    I’m trying the balm that @T_C_E recommended. I’ve got to try and stick to something long enough to see if it works this time. Incidentally I remembered that I ran out of omega 3 tablets a couple of weeks back. I’d better get more of them incase they had helped. It’s so difficult to narrow it down 😐.
  • Options
    Good rheumatologist is imperative in my opinion. We all mean well , and we can't help giving advice based on what works for us, unfortunately in my experience, Rheumatoid Arthritis is extremely elusive, and what worked yesterday, may not work today. I try to manage flare ups but also have a fucking great time when I'm on top of it, enjoy the good days. I also try to accept some level of manageable pain as the default state, and pain free periods as a bonus. That way I don't feel a failure every stiff morning (🎺🕺) Its a marathon...
  • Options
    I’m trying the balm that @T_C_E recommended. I’ve got to try and stick to something long enough to see if it works this time. Incidentally I remembered that I ran out of omega 3 tablets a couple of weeks back. I’d better get more of them incase they had helped. It’s so difficult to narrow it down 😐.
    Try milled flax seed on your morning cereal/ breakfast rather than tablets for omega 3 
  • Options
    Sorry to add to the thread, I suffer with gout & take 300mg of Allopurinol daily - fought against taking daily tablets for years but in the end I gave in as the bouts of gout were getting more & more frequent to the point where my knee locked & wouldn’t move! 

Tablets were the best thing I’ve ever done as I’ve not had an attack for years now, I should be careful with my diet & alcohol intake although I’m rubbish at both & probably doing myself more harm than good. 

Have started getting hip pain especially in cold weather which is probably worth keeping an eye on but touchwood, I’m fine at the moment! 
  • Options
    Hoping for some advice
    The last couple of weeks my arthritis (psoriatic) has flared up. Being as the consultant doesn't really take me seriously (hasnt seen me when having an active flare) I was just limping around. I had a routine blood test for various stuff to go to so I asked if they'd also do an ESR test for inflammatory markers. Fortunately the nurse agreed. Surprise surprise I get a call from the GP saying it's high.

So I get in touch with the rhemo team and they got me a quick appointment. As luck would have it the usual doc was off so I saw a locum who took me seriously. I'd been taking ibruprofen and it seemed to be helping. She put prescribed me a stronger one . Great I thought - until the Pharmacist said I couldnt have it or ibruprofen as its got a risk of bleeding thats increased by medication I take for bipolar.

No worries said the doc - have some sterioids. I look up side effects and they include mood changes with possible mania in those already having bipolar. So absolutely no way I'm taking them. The offered various disease modifying meds. I read up about them and sure enough more bloody mood change side effects. I havent been in psychiatric hosp for nearly 10 years and would be mad to opt for anything that might put that at risk. So I'm hobbling about taking twice as long to do all the cleaning and other animal care stuff at the hen sanctuary.

I am wondering if anyone else has any other suggestions. I've been reading about anti inflammatory diets and am looking into acupuncture. It's gone from me being treated like a bloody nuisance to daily emails from Rhemo. No idea what to do.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    @Arsenetatters

I was diagnosed with RA about 4 years ago, a succession of drugs that either don't work or damage my liver so much I can't continue to take them. I've been in constant flair for effectively all of those 4 years. Finally on last role of dice drugs wise on nhs, jak inhibitors. 

However only thing that has ever helped me is water fasting, done a 3,5 and 7 day one last few months and after a couple days of just water most inflammation goes along with the pain, I've come out the last one and into a carnivore diet and been a game changer. Tried vegan after 3 and 5 day ones and was back in flair within a few weeks after each flair.
  • Options
    scruffle said:
    @Arsenetatters

I was diagnosed with RA about 4 years ago, a succession of drugs that either don't work or damage my liver so much I can't continue to take them. I've been in constant flair for effectively all of those 4 years. Finally on last role of dice drugs wise on nhs, jak inhibitors. 

However only thing that has ever helped me is water fasting, done a 3,5 and 7 day one last few months and after a couple days of just water most inflammation goes along with the pain, I've come out the last one and into a carnivore diet and been a game changer. Tried vegan after 3 and 5 day ones and was back in flair within a few weeks after each flair.
    Thank you - interesting stuff. I have a vegan diet by choice but a pretty unhealthy one tbh. I'm going to try an anti infammatory diet for a while to see if it makes any difference.
  • Options
    Good rheumatologist is imperative in my opinion. We all mean well , and we can't help giving advice based on what works for us, unfortunately in my experience, Rheumatoid Arthritis is extremely elusive, and what worked yesterday, may not work today. I try to manage flare ups but also have a fucking great time when I'm on top of it, enjoy the good days. I also try to accept some level of manageable pain as the default state, and pain free periods as a bonus. That way I don't feel a failure every stiff morning (🎺🕺) Its a marathon...
    Thanks 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What works for me might be ineffective for others. Have concluded that management of the condition is bespoke and moreover from personal experience flare ups come and go with no clear triggers. Steroids made an initial impact , but cannot be used indefinitely. For me the most effective weapon to reduce inflammation is a single tab of naproxen for three consecutive days a days rest then resumption. GP happy to endorse this regime tho naproxen is regarded with caution because of possible stomach lining issues. Wish all fellow sufferers well because this is not a condition we would not want anyone to suffer.
  • Options
    Bumping this thread as I've spent most of the night in the PRUH with my parents after my Dad got taken in last night.

He's been recently put on Methotrexate, think we're 3-4 weeks in now, takes it once a week on a Saturday.  Sunday he seems ok, Monday he literally cant move for 24-36 hours and is either bed bound or sofa bound, wherever he was at that point, then he is able to move a bit more freely but his mobility is absolutely ridiculous now.  He can just about get to the bathroom (thankfully they've got a bungalow) but he's been relying on using a bottle when he's been stuck.

Mum called me round there about 9:30pm, I only live a couple of mins away.  He just wasn't with it, totally incoherent, drifitng in and out of sleep for the 20 mins I was there.  He was adamant he was going to try and stand up and he literally faceplanted.  We called an ambulance and he was taken in for tests.

Firstly they thought it was psuedogout but after a couple of months of being on a steroid, they're now weening him off the steroid and replacing it with the Methotrexate.  They saw the Rheumatologist last week and he said it can take up to 3 months for the Methotrexate to kick in.  I didn't realise it was a chemotherapy drug until my Mum mentioned it last week.  It was only when I started googling I realised it was a common treatment.

We're assuming Dad will be coming home today at some point once his fluids and blood pressure stabilises, his BP was all over the shop last night.  His next Rheumatology appointment is at the end of February, not sure how much more my Mum can cope with as my Dad has got absolutely no quality of life at the moment.  The annoying thing is he had such a good weekend, they came to us both Sat & Sun as my brother was down from Liverpool, he was moving about ok, in good spirits, which then gave my brother a false impression as he couldn't see what Dad has been like the last 6-7 months.  Sigh.

Its no fun seeing your parents get old, is it?