Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fans Forum resuming 11 July

Comments

• Options

The credit card thing is extraordinary. The banks have been demanding a much higher transaction fee for season tickets from Charlton or the value to be underwritten by guarantees since about 2010. That was why a fee was introduced to discourage people from using credit cards, but it never covered the cost. The bank holding back the funds for match by match release is a sign that they have no confidence in the administration of the club.

"Restricted cash" is not unusual in relatively high risk sectors - it's not a sign of a healthy balance sheet but equally not that unusual. It may be that this reflects the nature of football as an industry rather than Charlton as a business.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Well done @Pico , your efforts, which some people seem to forget are done for love and no financial gain, are much appreciated. You can't please all of the people all of the time but don't let the others get you down :wink: .

A***licker
    If that's what expressing one's appreciation to someone who gives up their free time to serve on committees for the benefit of others is, then so be it :wink: .
    Think he was having a laugh RC, at least I hope so.
    You may be going to get a whoosh!
  • Options

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Well done @Pico , your efforts, which some people seem to forget are done for love and no financial gain, are much appreciated. You can't please all of the people all of the time but don't let the others get you down :wink: .

A***licker
    If that's what expressing one's appreciation to someone who gives up their free time to serve on committees for the benefit of others is, then so be it :wink: .
    Chaser and me are solid.
  • Options

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

A***licker
    Chaser and me are solid.
    Too much information there .
  • Options
    The joint statement by club and Fans Forum..

One part of this states……...The sale agreed with the Australians does not include STAPRIX retaining The Valley or Sparrows Lane...…...BUT DOES THIS MEAN SOMEONE OTHER THAN STAPRIX COULD RETAIN the valley or sparrows lane.

This is how i have become at the moment disbelieving almost everything the club has to say.....sorry about this
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

seth plum said:

So the breakfast thing is true.
    The club will 'look in to it'.
    Maybe the 11% saved in energy costs comes from not boiling a kettle for a breakfast cuppa.
    Maybe we get the press and TV to the gates of Sparrows Lane early in the morning as we fans offer the players cornflakes and bananas as they roll in in their Range Rovers, or as the younger ones walk in to work.

The club will look into its own management decision, brought to its attention by fans...
    You’d rather they didn’t? Not sure what else you would expect them to say publicly.

I don’t know any details on what breakfast actually amounts to and how used / liked / needed but concern raised and acknowledged is at least something that can be followed up on at next meeting. Even if no decision is reversed.

I do wonder if the footballing management team involved with those directly impacted forcefully gave feedback on this as I’d have thought that opinion is the one that matters. That’s more interesting to appreciate.

You don’t think that the guy who is nominally in charge of the business and has a brief to cut costs ought to be aware of a cost-cutting decision that has led to internal disquiet circulating in public?
    I didn’t read that he wasn’t aware of the cost cutting itself just not the debate on here!

Question remains do we know if the football management team supported this or otherwise voiced concerns. I just don’t know if it’s a big deal or not.

Sounds poor but if it’s not really used by those impacted maybe a non issue.

It would be compulsory, I should think.
    Sorry don’t follow. Are you suggesting it’s compulsory to provide breakfast they cut it anyway and no one on the football side was able to persuade them not to ?
    I'm suggesting that these young players have been required to attend for breakfast, so the argument that "it's not really used" makes no sense. If it's "not used", what's the saving anyway? We know it is still being provided for senior players.

There seems to be an idea on this that it's some kind of perk - I'm suggesting that getting the young players in early to eat together is more likely to be a dietary priority and part of the discipline of being in at a certain time in the morning and being part of the group.

The sums involved in this will be trivial in a professional football context even over a full year and even if money has been wasted in this area in the past then presumably that is the previous chief executive's fault?
    Got it / your meaning now. Thank you.

So I am surprised the football senior management team weren’t able to stop this happening. Their view more relevant than ours as fans on this sort of thing.

Agree savings not obviously significant which makes it stranger that it was implemented.

An action at FF to look into it only makes sense to me on this context if no one internally made the argument to keep breakfasts and which if you say is common practice elsewhere is unlikely.

Based on this the action would be token at best.

• Options

The joint statement by club and Fans Forum..

One part of this states……...The sale agreed with the Australians does not include STAPRIX retaining The Valley or Sparrows Lane...…...BUT DOES THIS MEAN SOMEONE OTHER THAN STAPRIX COULD RETAIN the valley or sparrows lane.

This is how i have become at the moment disbelieving almost everything the club has to say.....sorry about this

Don't be sorry, you join a very long list.
  • Options

I've just read this thread and can barely believe some of the comments made last night.
    It would appear that a few of our fans not only don't appreciate fellow fans attending an afternoon meeting on our World Cup semi final day, all of course unpaid and some having to take time off work.

Then they hurl insults at the said volunteers, because it would appear that they expected them to miss England's game, in order that they could get the minutes out for said individuals to read post match.

Poor poor show and personally I'd like to thank Pico, Razil, killerjerrylee and all the attendees for informing us so speedily.

Totally agree with you.
    But you missed something out.

Just sell the club and FUCK OFF
  • Options

I've just read this thread and can barely believe some of the comments made last night.
    It would appear that a few of our fans not only don't appreciate fellow fans attending an afternoon meeting on our World Cup semi final day, all of course unpaid and some having to take time off work.

Then they hurl insults at the said volunteers, because it would appear that they expected them to miss England's game, in order that they could get the minutes out for said individuals to read post match.

Poor poor show and personally I'd like to thank Pico, Razil, killerjerrylee and all the attendees for informing us so speedily.

Totally agree with you.
    But you missed something out.

Just sell the club and FUCK OFF
    Out of order, Covered End does not own the club.
  • Options

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

A***licker
    Chaser and me are solid.
    Think I had him going for a minute @SoundAsa£ :wink: .
  • Options
    I do not understand why there is so much fuss being made about the club providing a free breakfast. How many people on this forum who are working get a breakfast provided by their employer at no cost ? As for Airman Brown suggesting that this "part of the discipline of being in at a certain time in the morning" what a joke, this is part of growing up, being responsible and earning a living ffs. In most, if not all, other industries if you cannot arrive on time on a regular basis there is a disciplinary process that ensures you either conform, leave or end up being dismissed, why should it be any different for footballers albeit young players who if they progress will have the potential to achieve a lifestyle the rest of us can only dream of.
  • Options
    sarge1g said:

I do not understand why there is so much fuss being made about the club providing a free breakfast. How many people on this forum who are working get a breakfast provided by their employer at no cost ? As for Airman Brown suggesting that this "part of the discipline of being in at a certain time in the morning" what a joke, this is part of growing up, being responsible and earning a living ffs. In most, if not all, other industries if you cannot arrive on time on a regular basis there is a disciplinary process that ensures you either conform, leave or end up being dismissed, why should it be any different for footballers albeit young players who if they progress will have the potential to achieve a lifestyle the rest of us can only dream of.

I think the fuss is the fact that the breakfast being taken away.
  • Options
    WE could celebrate the 11% cut in energy bills.
    Woohoo.
    Sorry to breaks this news guys, but next season a portion of 14 chips becomes 13.
    Every little helps says Eddie Stobart.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surely these "kids" have to learn that they have to take responsibility for what they eat etc and I cannot believe that we will attract any better kids due to the fact that we provide a free breakfast. It does not matter who we are owned by and how much they are worth, in my view this will go towards turning these young kids into more responsible adults as they should be encouraged by the club to look after their bodies as it is this that will help them achieve their goals. There are many practices at CAFC that need to change, for years there have been too many "hangers on" who do not bring any value to the club and I am sure that any new owners will take a serious look at all sorts of unnecessary expenses being incurred, it is after all a professional football club, at least by name.
  • Options
    sarge1g said:

Surely these "kids" have to learn that they have to take responsibility for what they eat etc and I cannot believe that we will attract any better kids due to the fact that we provide a free breakfast. It does not matter who we are owned by and how much they are worth, in my view this will go towards turning these young kids into more responsible adults as they should be encouraged by the club to look after their bodies as it is this that will help them achieve their goals. There are many practices at CAFC that need to change, for years there have been too many "hangers on" who do not bring any value to the club and I am sure that any new owners will take a serious look at all sorts of unnecessary expenses being incurred, it is after all a professional football club, at least by name.

Some examples please?
  • Options
    sarge1g said:

May not attract any new players but might we'll lose us some existing and potential kids in a very competitive market.

Not sure who these "hangers on" are? Non-playing staff have been cut to the bone over the last few years and there was little or no fat before.

It's one of a number petty and counter-productive cut made to save pennies and nothing to do with teaching the kids any life lessons.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I wonder if vol au vents will be replaced by a good old cheese sandwich at half time for the visiting club dignitaries and those entertaining them. 'There could be trouble ahead...……Let's face the music and dance' :open_mouth:
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    seth plum said:

WE could celebrate the 11% cut in energy bills.
    Woohoo.
    Sorry to breaks this news guys, but next season a portion of 14 chips becomes 13.
    Every little helps says Eddie Stobart.

And they’ll be colder because they’re using a lower setting on the microwave now...but actually they’ll be the same cos they’re turning the freezer off every other day too....
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

I wonder if vol au vents will be replaced by a good old cheese sandwich at half time for the visiting club dignitaries and those entertaining them. 'There could be trouble ahead...……Let's face the music and dance' :open_mouth:

100%
  • Options
    Is it also true that the Charlton lads get dropped off at their schools by mini bus?

Its just that this bloke I know, I say know, but I just chat to him in the cafe, he's a West Ham fan. Anyway he told me that his wife, I say wife, but she may be just be his partner, or even some bird he knows, is a teacher. She works at a very large local comprehensive school and she reckons that the Charlton lads are really molly coddled by the club and it might not be doing 'em any good. In the long run they might be better off getting their own grub and sorting out their own transport, mind you it probably helps them to adapt to life at Man City once the tribunal decides.