Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• Options
    My guess is that he's on a promise for Brentford - but only if they stay in the Championship.  If they get promoted then I suspect they'll be after a premier level player.  Just a guess - I think he is top half Championship league level but premier - not so sure.
  • Options
    The longer this drags out the more I think it to be one of our relegation rivals
  • Options
    cafc-west said:
    My guess is that he's on a promise for Brentford - but only if they stay in the Championship.  If they get promoted then I suspect they'll be after a premier level player.  Just a guess - I think he is top half Championship league level but premier - not so sure.
    But Brentford would only need him if they knew Benrahma or Watkins was being sold. 
  • Options
    can see your point, however he's then played a fairly dangerous game in my opinion with his recent actions if he doesn't already have a move lined up and a deal agreed. pretty sure a few would've been put off by his effective 'strike' plus he might not grab the sort of life changing salary he might've been expecting 6 months ago.

obviously I'm sure he'll earn more than we were offering, but who knows.....say Varney and Barclay come in during the close season and dropped a massive contract in front of him after we stay up, what would peoples thoughts about him be then ?!?!
    Of course I'd sign him again. On a pay as you play contract, then I'd keep him benched and never use him unless absolutely necessary. 
  • Options
    cafc-west said:
    But Brentford would only need him if they knew Benrahma or Watkins was being sold. 
    Benrahma has been linked with Chelsea for a few weeks now.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    cafc-west said:

Sheffield United and Norwich went up with most of their side described as just good Championship players. Right about Norwich but wrong about United.
    Aston Villa were the team that looked like they had enough to stay up !

Gudmundsson was another who many had doubts about his abilities to be a premier player but on the rare times he is fit has looked the part.
  • Options
    Is he entitled to his own song at the Valley now, or do we simply adapt the Parker song to 'Two greedy bstds'?

No comparison between Parker and Taylor.
    Parker was offered 24k and a massive Loyalty bonus to stay. We were 4th at the time in the Premier and he decided to go to Chelsea who were lower in the league.
    Yes his weekly wage was higher at Chelsea as he sat on the bench.

Lyle Taylor who we now believe was on 4 to 5k a week had an opportunity at 30 years of age to make some serious money, 400% rise over 24 to 36 months on his Cafc deal.

Parker was 22 and threw his toys out of the pram when Murray and Curbishley initially blocked his transfer before getting his move as the window shut.

Lyle Taylor was disappointed when the Brentford move broke down and a life changing amount of wages were on offer BUT he buckled down and was superb and gave 100%.  Getting the injury and missing several months of the season made Lyle realize opportunity need to be taken and contracts signed if you are not offered a contract that is commensurate with your skill set at your present employer.

COVID-19 was the reason that the season didn't end in May when Taylor and Solly's contract still had the month to run. A total anomaly which has affected so many other teams including Bournemouth who had the same issue with Fraser.

Was I gutted that Taylor didn't play the 3 games which we took 7 points from anyway; Of course, because he was still under contract and he has been excellent for Cafc. Do I understand his reasons, yes, because players have the power since Bosman. 
    Couldn't the Premier and EFL had brought in strick penalities to try to stop this from happening ? ( I know the players would probably have feined injuries but the football authorities just weren't prescient with the season being extended. 

Football fans going from idolising to hating is par for the course. 

Curbishley said that when Chelsea came in for him they had to let him go, it was only drawn out because Chelsea were low balling.  All the players of the time I've heard talk about it, state that Parker had to take the opportunity.  All the way through his youth and senior - particularly youth - he was tapped up by other major London clubs but signed contracts with us.  The narrative of him refusing to train may be true, but quite possibly the narrative of the club protecting it's asset is true too.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    can see your point, however he's then played a fairly dangerous game in my opinion with his recent actions if he doesn't already have a move lined up and a deal agreed. pretty sure a few would've been put off by his effective 'strike' plus he might not grab the sort of life changing salary he might've been expecting 6 months ago.

obviously I'm sure he'll earn more than we were offering, but who knows.....say Varney and Barclay come in during the close season and dropped a massive contract in front of him after we stay up, what would peoples thoughts about him be then ?!?!
    He can fuck off. Would you welcome your mrs back after she's sacked you off to try get an upgrade and failed?
    It has happened many times, I know of a few,  (not for me, I hasten to add)
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    cafc-west said:
    I read that a friend of Benrahma has texted (or facemail or something) him to congratulate him on agreeing to a future signing for Chelsea (I think). Sorry memory not what it used to be
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafc-west said:

Sheffield United and Norwich went up with most of their side described as just good Championship players. Right about Norwich but wrong about United.

Gudmundsson was another who many had doubts about his abilities to be a premier player but on the rare times he is fit has looked the part.
    Look at the abuse Pope got while playing for us
  • Options
    If Taylor wanted back, he would be on lower wages in League 1  :) 
  • Options
    If Taylor isn't signed up elsewhere, this month, there is no way we should be offering to pay his July wages
  • Options
    I'm not convinced Brentford still want him. Even if they sell Benrahma they'll have the money to go after better quality players.

Plus they also have 2 young strikers (Forss and Dervisoglu) ready to come into the side if any of the main guys leave.
  • Options
    I'm not convinced Brentford still want him. Even if they sell Benrahma they'll have the money to go after better quality players.

Plus they also have 2 young strikers (Forss and Dervisoglu) ready to come into the side if any of the main guys leave.
    They'll go for Toney and Taylor... Just wait and see. 
  • Options
    Every time I see more posts to this thread, I feverishly jump in hoping for "Championship striker in freak combine harvester accident..."

But Alas and Alack!
    Wouldn’t it be ironic if the snake got bitten by an adder during one of his many golf days
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Rumour on Twitter suggesting he's agreed terms with Villa. 

• Options

Most of his twitter posts are bullshit, if you have a look.
  • Options

Well I assume they'll be getting a big relegation bonus, so can probably afford the £20-25k a week we couldn't.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Nonsense, check his other tweets
  • Options
    Lyle is older than the usual Brentford signing anyway. Their whole model is about signing talented young players, the sort who will increase in value

Last summer they may have seen Lyle as a short term signing, but I can't see them wanting him now. 
  • Options

Nonsense, check his other tweets

Vegan. Republican. Cock.
  • Options
    Lyle is older than the usual Brentford signing anyway. Their whole model is about signing talented young players, the sort who will increase in value

Last summer they may have seen Lyle as a short term signing, but I can't see them wanting him now. 
    Agree with that. They probably saw him as a partner for Watkins whilst they eased Mbeumo into English football. Mbeumo has since done really well and unless they're selling him or Watkins, they have no need to upset that partnership.
  • Options
    Same bloke that said this

And this

Neither were true then didnt tweet for over a year until today and has now released 4 rumours lol
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    cafc-west said:

Look at the abuse Pope got while playing for us

Pope had one major weakness which was the ball hit hard at his body low down.
    He appears to have overcome this by hard work, plus the saves he does with his feet is amazing.

We have a certain amount of fans who get off on giving abuse. 
    Not my style, I want everyone who pulls on the cafc shirt to do well. Many fail but succeed elsewhere; Simon Francis springs to mind.

• Options
    If you want to see the difference a quality number 9 can make, have a look at Southampton’s recent form. Ings scores again. 
  • Options

Agree with that. They probably saw him as a partner for Watkins whilst they eased Mbeumo into English football. Mbeumo has since done really well and unless they're selling him or Watkins, they have no need to upset that partnership.
    Watkins wasn't a centre forward until this season, he only moved to play the No 9 role because they didn't bring in Lyle (!) and has no direct replacement for Maupay
  • Options
    Have many transfers been announced yet from players who have ratted on finishing their seasons for clubs ...
    I'd have thought they'd wait till the season is finished before any announcements are made .
  • Options
    I know the rumor is false but TBH i always thought villa would be the ones to come in for him. They saw him make Mings look ordinary in that testimonial last year and i don't think villa have much of a strike force anyway.