Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bowyer Talks - Weekly press conference updates

Comments

• I'm not a businessman, but it seems a bit random to agree 5 out 4 in.

If you add the five loanees to that and the probable loss of KAG, that’s 11 out and 4 in.
  • Maybe Bowyer is hoping that if he stays and does reasonably well then he'll be kept on if/when the new owners come in. Maybe he feels that a few months of struggling by will be rewarded eventually?

Isn't that what KR thought?
  • If there is no sale then I am done with all things Charlton until such time there is, worry is we will be in league 2 or worse
  • I feel as though I’m constantly slagging Bowyer off - which is a shame because I like him - however with each interview I think he comes across as more and more out of his depth.
  • se9addick said:

I feel as though I’m constantly slagging Bowyer off - which is a shame because I like him - however with each interview I think he comes across as more and more out of his depth.

He's a poor communicator with the press, but Curbs was too, especially in the early days. I'm not totally sold on Bowyer but I won't judge him on that
  • wmcf123 said:

se9addick said:

I feel as though I’m constantly slagging Bowyer off - which is a shame because I like him - however with each interview I think he comes across as more and more out of his depth.

He's a poor communicator with the press, but Curbs was too, especially in the early days. I'm not totally sold on Bowyer but I won't judge him on that
    Any examples?
  • se9addick said:

It is what it is:-)
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

I have no idea what you are talking about here.
    I think Bowyer comes across well.
    Don't forget as we're cutting costs.
    Bowyer may have been told he can't have another coach, even if he wanted one.
    It's never occured to me for one second that he's out of his depth.
    In fact he seems far more in his depth than Robinson & Slade.
    Faint praise, Robinson and Slade were as close to their depth as the Titanic.
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

But why do you feel Bowyer is getting more and more out of his depth ?
    Seriously, I haven't a clue why anyone would say that.
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

But why do you feel Bowyer is getting more and more out of his depth ?
    Seriously, I haven't a clue why anyone would say that.
    Because he has stated previously that he only needs a handful of additions to the squad and, now, that he doesn’t need any more coaching resource. Based on my knowledge of this division and what I saw at the end of last season I think he is wrong on both counts. In reality we are 12 days away from kick off with an under strength squad and a vastly inexperienced coaching team - both should have been supplemented this summer.

Maybe he’s just putting a brave face on it because realistically he won’t get another job at this level at the moment, but I think it comes across as dangerously naive.
    Second this.

I don't think the reasoning that "Well Curbs did it" can be used for everything. Curbs is the exception, not the rule. The game has canged drastically. The situation of the club has changed drastically. And it does Bowyer a disservice to hold him to those standards.

I think it's naive if Bowyer truly doesn't want another coach. It may not be down to him but down to budget, at which point fair enough. But we go into the season with two first team coaches, which has to be the smallest in the division. Our manager is entering his first year as a manager, his second year in senior coaching. Our only other coach is entering his first full season as a coach.

That's just not enough experience.
  • I've put it down to him knowing he can't have x, y, z and so why say anything that can potentially affect the mindset of the lads he already has in the building?
  • I've put it down to him knowing he can't have x, y, z and so why say anything that can potentially affect the mindset of the lads he already has in the building?

Exactly. What's he supposed to say ?

I think we need another 5/6 players to compete at the top, but the owner won't permit it.
    Nor will the owner allow me another coach.
    I think we'll do well to end up half way at this rate and hope we don't end up in a relegation battle, bearing in mind I've lost about 8 players and only 2 have come in.

If he said that presumably you would think he's a good manager well within his depth ? :smile:
    Don’t you think there’s some middle ground that a manager with a bit more nous might be able to find in answer to the question?
  • se9addick said:

I've put it down to him knowing he can't have x, y, z and so why say anything that can potentially affect the mindset of the lads he already has in the building?

I think we need another 5/6 players to compete at the top, but the owner won't permit it.
    I think we'll do well to end up half way at this rate and hope we don't end up in a relegation battle, bearing in mind I've lost about 8 players and only 2 have come in.

If he said that presumably you would think he's a good manager well within his depth ? :smile:
    Don’t you think there’s some middle ground that a manager with a bit more nous might be able to find in answer to the question?
    He’s not the manager, though.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think Bowyer is handling the situation well ... wouldn’t be easy for a far more experienced manager
  • Christ, Bowyer's fallen for the usual transfer window lies.
    We'll sell 5 and then get in an equivalent of Dodoo on deadline day.

I may or may not be joking. I don't know myself.

What do you mean “he’s fallen for it”.......he can only ask for what he wants and that’s exactly what he’s done.
    Doesn’t mean he expects to get his way at all.......he knows the score, just like everyone else.
  • se9addick said:

I've put it down to him knowing he can't have x, y, z and so why say anything that can potentially affect the mindset of the lads he already has in the building?

I think Bowyer's press interviews are very good and he greatly impresses me.
    I think he's done excellently overall and turned a team heading for mid table into play off participants.
  • se9addick said:

Most managers under RD have talked about needing more signings and then those last 1 or 2 never come in.

What would doing that all again achieve? Especially if this time he knows there’s absolutely no chance of him getting what he really needs? At least with the others there was a chance if a good player became available for a bargain price.
  • What kids are about that will now be te or squad players ?

Albie Morgan getting rave reviews in the youth teams.
    Which means he’ll likely be gone in January knowing the regime.
  • mendonca said:

wmcf123 said:

se9addick said:

Any examples?
    Of what ?
  • Scoham said:

se9addick said:

Most managers under RD have talked about needing more signings and then those last 1 or 2 never come in.

What would doing that all again achieve? Especially if this time he knows there’s absolutely no chance of him getting what he really needs? At least with the others there was a chance if a good player became available for a bargain price.
    Well for a start we’re hoping that he’s not only going to be the last manager under RD but also the first manager under the Aussies. He could subtly put down a marker that whilst he is happy with the players and staff that he has if new owners do come in, and they are serious about challenging, then additional investments will be required.

Now of course he may be saying that in private, but I can only comment on what he’s been saying on record this summer.

Saying “I only need a few more players...I learned nothing on a coaching course...I’ve got the right coaching structure” could come back to haunt us but, of course, I really hope I’m wrong.
  • I like his directness and honesty - most coaching / management courses are a load of nonsense and i make him right not to bring another coach in - better to put any resources available to recruiting players. He has the security of knowing he doesn't need a job so can just tell it how it is. I believe that he genuinely thinks he can add a few of the right type of players to the squad and make us stronger. The only loan player who we will miss is the keeper and certainly taylor and pratley are positive additions. 3 more of the right type of signings and we will be considerably stronger than last year.