Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Matt 'Guitar' Murphy RIP

Member of the Blues Brothers Band, as well as a good session musician and sideman, dead at 88. Didn't quite make it to Chirpy's list. Must watch the film again as a tribute, or at least the Soul Cafe scene!

Comments

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    That's sad. Good innings though.

Are most of the band still about? I know Donald 'Duck' Dunn died a few years ago. Obviously John Belushi is long gone, but how many of the rest of the band are still with us?
  • Options
    Steve Cropper’s still with us
  • Options
    Terribly sad news.

It may be that the Blues Brothers was the least important work that he did, but it had the greatest impact - the excellence of the music opening up the Blues and (proper) R&B for many of us outside the the tradition.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options

That's sad. Good innings though.

Are most of the band still about? I know Donald 'Duck' Dunn died a few years ago. Obviously John Belushi is long gone, but how many of the rest of the band are still with us?

I think most of the band are still alive. Alan Rubin (Mr Fabulous) is dead plus the others mentioned.

I saw Steve Cropper at Ronnie Scotts two years ago. Probably the shortest set by the headline act that I've ever seen but worth it just to see a legend in such an intimate venue.
  • Options
    ‘Blue Lou’ Marini was at Ronnie Scotts with Steve Cropper. Seen here.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP 'Guitar'
  • Options
    RIP Matt, I think he went right back top the days of Muddy Waters & Co.

I went to a screening of the Blues Brothers last year at the BFI, it was part of day of films featuring car chases and they had The Italian Job on as well so it was quite a bill.

An added bonus was John Landis was there and did a Q and A about the Blues Brothers, he said basically it would never be made now given the way budgets are adhered to.....I think he said they hardly had anything in the can before the original funds ran out.

It was brilliant session, one thing he mentioned was the car chase through the shopping Mall, now I'd heard they used a mall that was going to be demolished but what Landis said was all the people running for cover weren't just extras, they were all trained stunt people who were flown in from Hollywood for the shoot. Understandable given the mayhem that was unleashed, but expensive all the same.

I think most of the band are still around, sadly Donald "Duck" Dunn and Alan Rubin (aka Mr Fabulous) are gone as well as obviously John Belushi.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Orange whip?
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Pringle said:

Orange whip?

LOL, John Landis mentioned that - the father of one of the girls on the crew was an orange whip salesman (honest) and she asked Landis if he could do a little “product placement” ..... John Candy got the line (of dialogue that is, not a John Belushi type line).