Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eighth Amendment Referendum

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2018

Is anyone else looking forward to seeing what the voter turnout percentage is so we can all debate just how representative the vote actually is and whether or not those that didn't vote should have their non vote fall on the yes or no side?

This will be the largest by percentage turnout of any vote in Ireland’s history.

• Options

Is anyone else looking forward to seeing what the voter turnout percentage is so we can all debate just how representative the vote actually is and whether or not those that didn't vote should have their non vote fall on the yes or no side?

This will be the largest by percentage turnout of any vote in Ireland’s history.

I get that, but that still doesn't answer the question posed. If the turnout is, say, 75% then there's still 25% of the eligible vote that didn't bother and, using other results as a yardstick, would mean that they didn't vote in favour.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I get that, but that still doesn't answer the question posed. If the turnout is, say, 75% then there's still 25% of the eligible vote that didn't bother and, using other results as a yardstick, would mean that they didn't vote in favour.
    Why are you scared to say what you really mean?
    Tell me what I'm scared of saying and I'll tell you why you're wrong.

I'm in favour of the yes vote. No questions about that.

I'm just equating the turnout card in this one to that of other referenda and arguments used to highlight the non voters as means of rubbishing a legitimate outcome.

So, again, tell me about how you know what I'm scared of saying.
  • Options

kimbo said:

That would be fantastic result. About time women were given choice

What about the Babies choice to be born??

IMO abortions should only be allowed in exceptional circumstances I:E Rape.

But other than that if you dont want a baby then put something on it or have the implant or go on the pill.

Fed up of seeing people 'accidently' get pregnant and abort.

If you have chosen to have sex and chosen not to use protection then its a choice not an accident.

Was my daughter planned no
    Was it correct timing most definetly not.
    Did we even consider abortion 100% no

Is she the best thing to have happened to me 110% yes
    And as a man what right do you have to tell a woman what to do with her body?
    What right do the men of Ireland have, if you're going down that route?
  • Options
    edited May 2018

I think that there were abstentions on the men’s side as they felt that really this was a woman’s issue
  • Options

Or against. Maybe a fair number of them just don't know.
    What a day for Ireland. The whole society there is undergoing a shift that is absolutely amazing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

No it wouldn’t. I give you Schrodingers Cat.

• Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

I'm just equating the turnout card in this one to that of other referenda and arguments used to highlight the non voters as means of rubbishing a legitimate outcome.

You're, clearly, trying to create some false equivalence between anti-Brexit arguments and a poll in another country about abortion. It's odd and I wonder why you are unable to say what you really mean.
    Why are you so scared to voice what your psychic powers are telling you?

So, again, tell me what I'm supposedly scared of saying.

Is it wrong to make equivalences between referenda? It clearly makes you uncomfortable and highlights the latent hypocrisy in peoples arguments.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

You're, clearly, trying to create some false equivalence between anti-Brexit arguments and a poll in another country about abortion. It's odd and I wonder why you are unable to say what you really mean.
    Why are you so scared to voice what your psychic powers are telling you?

So, again, tell me what I'm supposedly scared of saying.

Is it wrong to make equivalences between referenda? It clearly makes you uncomfortable and highlights the latent hypocrisy in peoples arguments.
    Just in the case that you can't read properly I've highlighted exactly what I think you're trying to say but can't, for reasons only available to you.
    I see you've stuck your fingers in your lug holes. Standard.
  • Options
    iainment said:

What a day for Ireland. The whole society there is undergoing a shift that is absolutely amazing.
    I agree wholeheartedly. The same, fair minded, balanced logic doesn't seem to apply across the referenda spectrum.

Some people don't get it.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

iainment said:

I agree wholeheartedly. The same, fair minded, balanced logic doesn't seem to apply across the referenda spectrum.

You for one

My dad's bigger than your dad.

Did you phone an Irish work colleague/secretary to back up your opinion on this one?
  • Options

iainment said:

You for one

Did you phone an Irish work colleague/secretary to back up your opinion on this one?
    I’m Irish

• Options

iainment said:

You for one

I’m Irish

Most of us can make that claim.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

A lot of people took the trouble to return home to Ireland to participate.

The issue is not a simple one.

As a man I wouldn't have to have 9 months of pregnancy and then childbirth and the hormonal and physical impact pregnancy causes. So I may be entitled to an opinion but not have a say if you follow me.

The moral and philosophical questions are complicated and all points of view deserve respect, but we are in a debate that brings societal and personal considerations into play simultaneously.

Consensual shagging is a human right as Nick Hornby reminded us.

I have one conundrum though.

If two people get it on and the lady gets pregnant, if the lady wants a termination but the bloke wants to keep the child, offers to be sole carer and take full responsibility for finance and upbringing, his wish is overridden by the lady. However if the lady wants to keep the child and he wishes for her to have a termination, she can exclude him from the life of the child yet demand financial support for the next 18 years.

Blokes need to be careful what they do with their dicks, especially as that is the place their brain resides most of the time.

yep that's been my issue with it. very one sided especially in this day of supposed equality.
  • Options

seth plum said:

A lot of people took the trouble to return home to Ireland to participate.

The issue is not a simple one.

As a man I wouldn't have to have 9 months of pregnancy and then childbirth and the hormonal and physical impact pregnancy causes. So I may be entitled to an opinion but not have a say if you follow me.

The moral and philosophical questions are complicated and all points of view deserve respect, but we are in a debate that brings societal and personal considerations into play simultaneously.

Consensual shagging is a human right as Nick Hornby reminded us.

I have one conundrum though.

If two people get it on and the lady gets pregnant, if the lady wants a termination but the bloke wants to keep the child, offers to be sole carer and take full responsibility for finance and upbringing, his wish is overridden by the lady. However if the lady wants to keep the child and he wishes for her to have a termination, she can exclude him from the life of the child yet demand financial support for the next 18 years.

Blokes need to be careful what they do with their dicks, especially as that is the place their brain resides most of the time.

yep that's been my issue with it. very one sided especially in this day of supposed equality.
    And the woman is right in all ways.

• Options

iainment said:

You for one

I’m Irish

No they can’t. You need to stop and think before you post nonsense with such authority.

• Options
    edited May 2018

iainment said:

You for one

I’m Irish

No they can’t. You need to stop and think before you post nonsense with such authority.

You need to stop telling people what they need to do, with such authority.
  • Options

I am sure one particular poster has already worked that out.
  • Options

No