Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your England 23 man squad

Comments

• Options
    dizzee said:

JaShea99 said:

I think it’d be really naive to not take Hart. He’s not the player he was as we all know, but to travel with that lack of experience is foolish imo.

Experience of what exactly?

I understand taking someone like Buffon for experience who has won the world cup.... but Hart?
    I agree, and I think Butland has enough experience now. I do understand taking 3 keepers like Pope or Pickford would be a slight risk, but with Butland around he can be the senior head.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

I think it’d be really naive to not take Hart. He’s not the player he was as we all know, but to travel with that lack of experience is foolish imo.

Since when has taking experienced players ever done us any good?
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    dizzee said:

JaShea99 said:

I understand taking someone like Buffon for experience who has won the world cup.... but Hart?
    The lads dont want dandruff during the tournament.
  • Options
    If you just want experience, Ben Foster has been playing better recently than Hart
  • Options
    It looks like England will have an advantage they have enjoyed for decades. With that squad they won't have any weight of expectation on their backs.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

JaShea99 said:

Playing at the top level? Going to major tournaments? Just someone with over 70 caps instead of taking 3 keepers with less than 20 caps between them.

Do you think any other World Cup team will travel with such a lack of experience at the back?

Edit: I’ll change that to ‘any team with serious ambitions of winning’ before some pendant claims the Panama number 1 is a part time bus driver who’s playing football for the first time ever.
  • Options
    Would love to see Gomez, lookman and sessengon involved
  • Options
    For all the abuse Gareth Southgate gets on social media (worse than any politician) he makes some brave calls. Dropping, Hart, Wilshere, Cahill, Smalling, Sturrdige, and even the Ox for the November friendly.

• Options
    sammy391 said:

Would love to see Gomez, lookman and sessengon involved

Gomez is injured
  • Options

For all the abuse Gareth Southgate gets on social media (worse than any politician) he makes some brave calls. Dropping, Hart, Wilshere, Cahill, Smalling, Sturrdige, and even the Ox for the November friendly.

I think Southgate is great, and has made some tough but correct decisions.

Would rather get to the Quarter-Finals with a young team/a team base on merit, rather than an experienced team that gets to the Quarter-FInals.

We aren't good enough to win it, so why don't we start building for the future. All the greatest international teams in the past decade or so built from a young team i.e. Germany and Spain. Maybe our youngsters aren't as good as them, but how can we know that if they are never trusted or given the chance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Pickford, Buckland, Pope

Walker, Trent -Arnold, Young, Delph, Rose, Maguire, Stones, Smalling

Dier, Henderson, Ali, Loftus-Cheek, Shelvey, Wilshere, Sterling, Lingard, Sessegnon

Vardy, Kane, Rashford
  • Options
    Starting:

Pope
    Walker Cahill Stones Rose
    Dier Henderson
    Sterling Alli Rashford
    Kane

2nd
    Butland/Pickford
    Trippier Maguire Smalling Bertrand
    Lingard Loftus-Cheek Shelvey Young
    Vardy Welbeck

This is the first time it was actually a difficult decision as the choice is so poor.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

It looks like England will have an advantage they have enjoyed for decades. With that squad they won't have any weight of expectation on their backs.

Surely no one has actually expected us to do well for at least the last few tournaments?
  • Options
    Butland Pickford Pope
    Walker Trippier
    Bertrand Rose
    Stones Jones Gomez Cahill Dier
    Henderson Wilshere Shelvey Lallana
    Alli Sterling Lingard
    Kane Vardy Rashford Welbeck

On balance I'm a winger/attacker short but there is no one knocking the door down.

What strikes me is the options we have at CB. I haven't picked Maguire Tarkowski Mawson or Keane who have all been in squads over the last year or so. And there is smalling who whilst I don't think Southgate rates him and he wouldn't fit his system he is playing well at United.

We also have fuck all options in attack. Other than the ones I've picked who is there? Defoe or Sturridge? Nah you're alright. Abraham/ Solanke hmmmm. With the Ox out we are also short of creative players Barkley? Loftus-cheek?

The 11
    .......................Kane
    .........Alli..........................Sterling
    Bertrand Wilshere Henderson Trippier
    ..............Gomez Stones Walker
    .........................Butland

Against the weaker teams I'd probably play Alli alongside Wilshere and bring Lingard/ Rashford in.

One of Hendo and Dier in midfield.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

That's what I posted on the other thread a while back. Since then Gomez is injured so I would have Maguire in for him.

It's looking like Cahill and Wilshere won't be going along with Hart.

Not sure who we are going to have in CM who can pass/Create. Shelvey to start?
  • Options
    Apparently, Cahill is back in and Trent Alexander Arnold has been selected for the first time.

• Options
    Jake Livermore to be on Standby it seems...
  • Options
    One of my favourite days is here. The absolute seethe generated by an England manager announcing a squad for a tournament is a beautiful thing to watch.
  • Options
    heard wilshere isnt going.. which would be ridiculous.
  • Options
    The fruition of foreign players coming to the Premier over the last 20 years will be reflected in the moderate quality of the England squad.
    But now maybe the team can be larger than the sum of its parts.

One example of a young English player losing his way in the global premier, is Luke Shaw who was going to be England's left back for a possible decade when he was 18.
    Did getting 100k a week at 19 plus the broken leg affect his hunger and drive ?
  • Options
    Interesting that SKY on their Live text for the announcement are bringing up Leon Bailey's name quite a bit at the moment...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Honestly a front 3 of Bailey, Kane and Sterling is up there with the best.

Shame it’ll look awful because they’ll get absolutely no service
  • Options
    Especially as Bailey has posted an Instagram post of "Humble Lion"... Only thing is that its a photo of him on a beach
  • Options
    So no Bailey or Shelvey... Disappointed to be honest... Dont think Welbeck should be selected at all
  • Options
    Can't argue too much with that but I do worry where any creativity from the middle is going to come from.
  • Options
    Surprised that Ryan Bertrand isn't in there.

Too many CBs, not enough creativity in the midfield.
  • Options

One word for this team: Boring.
  • Options
    Delph is the poor choice for me - we've gpt Rose and Young so presumably he's going as mainly a centre mid, when he hasn't been playing in there.

Shelvey would have made more sense.

Apart from that it's a boring but reasonably sensible squad.
  • Options
    Rooney... and how many world cup goals (at the tournament) has he got? Zilch??