Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Comments

• Options

It is popular in their colonies, where they get a lot of their players from!

Exactly why we need our empire back!

Come on May, invade Brazil, Italy, Spain and France. It's coming home!
  • Options

Diving through Brive today, you honestly wouldn't know that it was the day after France winning the World Cup. See one bloke in the France top, a couple of houses with a flag outside (which is usual for France anyway) and a couple of cars with tri-colour mirror covers and small flags, but that is it. Got served in 3 places and all looked miserable as sin.

What a fuckin waste

At least they're smashing Paris up I spose

More into rugby down that way.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    WTF

team of the tournament no way should Young, Lovern or Paulinho be anywhere near it

• Options

WTF

team of the tournament no way should Young, Lovern or Paulinho be anywhere near it

Nor Neymar imo. In it by virtue of his name / brand more than anything.

They didnt want a team of the tournament without Messi, Ronaldo or Neymar.
  • Options
    That cant be the official one!!...
  • Options
    It can’t be, Courtious isn’t even in goal.
  • Options
    Lovren.. Better tournament than Maguire or Godin? Lol
  • Options
    I think that's fake, it's on a lot of sites but nothing actually official from FIFA yet.

How can it be the official team when the golden glove winner isn't their chosen keeper?

And not a chance Paulinho can be in there ahead of Pogba, Kante, Rakitic or even Henderson.
  • Options
    Also how the fuck do quarter finalists Brazil end up with 2 players in that team when 3rd place Belgium the team that beat them gets 1?! Young? What have FIFA been smoking? Where's Peresic? Courtois? De Bruyne?
  • Options
    I heard somewhere that this was a fan vote...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah fake... Proper one to be released tomorrow

https://dreamteam.fifa.com/en/home
  • Options
    Must be fake, jigsaw Sterling not in the team
  • Options

Diving through Brive today, you honestly wouldn't know that it was the day after France winning the World Cup. See one bloke in the France top, a couple of houses with a flag outside (which is usual for France anyway) and a couple of cars with tri-colour mirror covers and small flags, but that is it. Got served in 3 places and all looked miserable as sin.

What a fuckin waste

At least they're smashing Paris up I spose

Never, never, dive through Brive.

Hardly ever drive there tbf
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I couldn't have less interest in who FIFA thinks the team of the tournament are. In the same way as if some idiot tried to persuade me that Poland were the 8th best team in the World before the World Cup and then expects me to be interested in his assessment after that.

If we had a vote on this site, it would be far more interesting as it is more likely to be right!
  • Options

I couldn't have less interest in who FIFA thinks the team of the tournament are. In the same way as if some idiot tried to persuade me that Poland were the 8th best team in the World before the World Cup and then expects me to be interested in his assessment after that.

If we had a vote on this site, it would be far more interesting as it is more likely to be right!

The FIFA Team of the Tournament isn't decided by FIFA yet is a fan vote
  • Options
    edited July 2018

MrOneLung said:

Full ranking of the 32 teams:

1st France
    2nd Croatia
    3rd Belgium
    4th England

5th Uruguay
    6th Brazil
    7th Sweden
    8th Russia

9th Colombia
    10th Spain
    11th Denmark
    12th Mexico
    13th Portugal
    14th Switzerland
    15th Japan
    16th Argentina

17th Senegal
    18th Iran
    19th South Korea
    20th Peru
    21st Nigeria
    22nd Germany
    23rd Serbia
    24th Tunisia

25th Poland
    26th Saudi Arabia
    27th Morocco
    28th Iceland
    29th Costa Rica
    30th Australia
    31st Egypt
    32nd Panama

so we played the 2nd, 3rd, 3rd (Belgium twice), 7th and 9th ranked teams. Not quite such an easy ride perhaps.
    Of course we did. By being in semi final guaranteed to have played 1st or 2nd (the finalists) plus 3rd or 4th (whichever rank we were not - in 3rd place playoff plus one of 5-8 (losing quarter finalists)
    The only tough one there was the highest ranked round of 16 losers.
    So in our group we beat the two worse possible teams in the 3rd and 4th pot
    Lost to the 3rd best team

We then knocked out the what was considered the hardest team in round of 16 before knocking out the whatnwas considered the 2nd weakest team in the quarters .

In fact what a load of waffle , the draw was beyond kind and we did ok with that pile of crap we were pitted against, definitely a once in a lifetime draw for us and an opportunity missed out , don’t believe the hype !
    Yes of course it was the most enjoyable tourney since 1990 but then we’ve never had it open up like that !
    No but we still had to win games. And that's not something you could take for granted with England teams. After all, we went out to Iceland.

I don't think we've progressed as far as some people believe, certainly. But we at least appear to have turned a corner in our attitude, luck and mood at world cups. The players weren't out there looking terrified. We've moved beyond a 4-4-2. We're not just playing players because they play for top 3 teams. It's a new look side with fresh ideas that performed admirably.

Don't know about you but I'm proud of them.
  • Options
    I've never taken hard core drugs, but I have to imagine that trying to care about Charlton Athletic three 30 minute period friendlies after a brilliant World Cup is what coming down from a massive high is like.

Can we just play the tournament again?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Also, my team of the tournament:
    ...... Courtoius
    Tripper Varane Granqvist Hernandez
    ........ Modric Isco
    Mbappe Hazard Perisic
    .......... Mandžukić

Subs: Lloris, Kane, Kante, Griezman, Godin, Fernandes, Pogba
  • Options
    National allegiance aside.
    Pogba with the trophy is very good.
    Mbappe taking the corner is incredible.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:

...... Courtoius
    ........ Modric Isco
    Mbappe Hazard Perisic
    .......... Mandžukić

Agree with that team! Only disagreement is Kane. Don't think he had a good tournament despite penaltying his way to the golden boot. He was absolutely dire at points.
  • Options

The Mandzukic OG is a great photo too, I'm amazed there was a camera in the top corner of the goal, as I never noticed it during the match, and the quality is far higher than the one you normally see for gopro replays
  • Options

The Mandzukic OG is a great photo too, I'm amazed there was a camera in the top corner of the goal, as I never noticed it during the match, and the quality is far higher than the one you normally see for gopro replays
    15+ players in the picture and he is literally the only one not looking at the ball
  • Options
    Chunes said:

SDAddick said:

...... Courtoius
    ........ Modric Isco
    Mbappe Hazard Perisic
    .......... Mandžukić

Agree with that team! Only disagreement is Kane. Don't think he had a good tournament despite penaltying his way to the golden boot. He was absolutely dire at points.
    Yeah he was completely anonymous in the last three games, but I feel like as the Golden Boot winner you've earned your place at least on the subs bench.
  • Options

That one is my favourite.
  • Options
    3 Brazilians lol
  • Options

3 Brazilians lol

One of those not even a Right-Back (Thiago Silva)
  • Options
    This is voted by the fans?
  • Options

I forgot Coutinho in mine but I think he deserves to be in there, he was absolute quality.

I don't think there's anyone in there that's outrageous. The one I'd have the biggest issue with is Marcelo, but I don't know that there was a leftback who was massively better.

I think Thiago Silva was very good, but I think it's cheating to put him at RB, especially with Trippier and Pavard both having excellent tournaments, as did Vrsaljko for that matter.