Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shrewsbury (A) for those going; travel, parking and pubs

Comments

• Options
    TEL said:

Just arrived. I’m camping at Cartref camp site about 5 miles from the ground. Lovely rural area. Will get a taxi into Shrewsbury in the morning and spend the day there before heading to the game. From what I’ve heard, it hasn’t yet sold out for home fans.

It's a lovely town - you'll enjoy it.
  • Options
    TEL said:

Came up the M40/M42/M6/M54 and took about three and a half hours despite the M25 being slow. Easy journey.

Yep - that's definitely the best way.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

TEL said:

Came up the M40/M42/M6/M54 and took about three and a half hours despite the M25 being slow. Easy journey.

Bob, how long will your route take from Bromley please ?

(Where there's blame there's a claim) :wink:
  • Options

bobmunro said:

TEL said:

Head south to pick up the M25 and from the M25 it will take just over 3 hours. So add how long it takes you to go south to get to the M25 - total 210 miles.

Via M1/M6 is 195 miles but could easily take much longer.

• Options
    I will be mid-air for all but the last 15-minutes odd of this game.
    Good news is that’ll all but guarantee a good showing for around 75-mins, but squeaky bums for the end whilst I frantically check the game-thread or the bbc for the scorings....
  • Options
    Roll on tomorrow buzzing bring it on
  • Options

bobmunro said:

redman said:

My wife yesterday saw that stretch of M1 was going to be shut from last night to 3pm on Sunday. I can't find the info now but google is reporting long tail backs on m1 today. Alternative routes would be M40 or M11/A14.

Anyway to check this ? Was going to do M25, M1, M6, M54 route. Never liked the M40 etc way.
    M1 Junction 23A-24 definitely closed all weekend. M6 is Junction 19 and I can't imagine the queues would be back that far.
    If this is the case I think M1, M6 should be ok. I do not want to disparage anyone's OH / wife etc but sometimes I think people have a problem with geography. J23 of M1 is around Leicester Forest services & miles away from where we're going. I remember seeing signs saying congestion ahead as we reached J19 last week & it had no affect on us at all. See my previous post re Rochdale. Unless you were coming from Leeds last week I fail to see how anyone could have got stuck in the traffic on the M62.
    J 21 is near Leicester Forest Services not J 23.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

redman said:

My wife yesterday saw that stretch of M1 was going to be shut from last night to 3pm on Sunday. I can't find the info now but google is reporting long tail backs on m1 today. Alternative routes would be M40 or M11/A14.

Anyway to check this ? Was going to do M25, M1, M6, M54 route. Never liked the M40 etc way.
    M1 Junction 23A-24 definitely closed all weekend. M6 is Junction 19 and I can't imagine the queues would be back that far.
    If this is the case I think M1, M6 should be ok. I do not want to disparage anyone's OH / wife etc but sometimes I think people have a problem with geography. J23 of M1 is around Leicester Forest services & miles away from where we're going. I remember seeing signs saying congestion ahead as we reached J19 last week & it had no affect on us at all. See my previous post re Rochdale. Unless you were coming from Leeds last week I fail to see how anyone could have got stuck in the traffic on the M62.
    J23 is indeed a long way up and if that’s where it is shut then getting to m6 from M1 should be ok.

You get stuck in traffic on the M62 if you decide to carry on up the M11 and onto the A1M because I he M1 is busy and, when you set off, no tosser has had an oxygen lorry explode on the mortorway.
    But why would you want to go up the M11 in the first place ?? M11 heads N/E towards Cambridge but Rochdale is in the N/W. Also the A1 is a terrible road. Too many roundabouts & stretches of just 2 lanes.

As for the poster whi said he doesn't know why they went that way as he wasn't driving - maybe try lifting your head out of your phone & take an interst in whats outside the window.
    That time of the month, golfie ?
    Are golfie and elfsborg the same person
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    kimbo said:

We went today and are staying overnight in Shrewsbury. This is a sign!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/8d/44/a2/8d44a268a59684921023a685f64fa370.jpg

NO! This is a sign
  • Options
    @TEL and @bobmunro have identified the easiest route
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

TEL said:

Head south to pick up the M25 and from the M25 it will take just over 3 hours. So add how long it takes you to go south to get to the M25 - total 210 miles.

So could the M40. Sorry, like last week I'll be going M1,M6.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

bobmunro said:

redman said:

J23 is indeed a long way up and if that’s where it is shut then getting to m6 from M1 should be ok.

You get stuck in traffic on the M62 if you decide to carry on up the M11 and onto the A1M because I he M1 is busy and, when you set off, no tosser has had an oxygen lorry explode on the mortorway.
    But why would you want to go up the M11 in the first place ?? M11 heads N/E towards Cambridge but Rochdale is in the N/W. Also the A1 is a terrible road. Too many roundabouts & stretches of just 2 lanes.

As for the poster whi said he doesn't know why they went that way as he wasn't driving - maybe try lifting your head out of your phone & take an interst in whats outside the window.
    No......lol.
    I''ve driven a fair bit around Britain & if I was heading just west of Wolverhampton I wouldn't be going via Oxford, just like I wouldn't head up the M11 to go to Manchester. I may be proved wrong tomorrow, but I'll take my chances.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

TEL said:

Miles of 50mph speed limits when I used the M6 on Monday. Stupid smart motorway 'upgrades'.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

TEL said:

Yes it could - but on the balance of probability the M40 is less likely to be snarled up than the M1 - and that is based on literally hundreds of journeys over the years using both options.

• Options
    RedPanda said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

TEL said:

Miles of 50mph speed limits when I used the M6 on Monday. Stupid smart motorway 'upgrades'.
    From my experience last week the 50 mph restrictions were mainly from J15/16 onwards. Not much up to Wolves, which is where we'll be turning off.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

TEL said:

Yes it could - but on the balance of probability the M40 is less likely to be snarled up than the M1 - and that is based on literally hundreds of journeys over the years using both options.

Most probably. I suppose my reluctance is that travelling from Swanley it is easier & quicker to get onto the M1 than going the longer way round the M25 to the M40.......and the bit round Heathrow is always a nitemare. Also yesterday there was almost an hours delay from J13 -16. I was lucky as I was going down the M3 but caught the tail end of it as it backed up.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

TEL said:

Most probably. I suppose my reluctance is that travelling from Swanley it is easier & quicker to get onto the M1 than going the longer way round the M25 to the M40.......and the bit round Heathrow is always a nitemare. Also yesterday there was almost an hours delay from J13 -16. I was lucky as I was going down the M3 but caught the tail end of it as it backed up.
    Yes the Heathrow stretch is where it could go tits up - but Sunday isn’t Friday.

Also going M40 misses out the bottom section of the M6 which can be messy as well - the M42 leads pretty much straight to the toll road.

FFS - call myself a Charlton fan? Not a train in sight!

• Options
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

TEL said:

Yes the Heathrow stretch is where it could go tits up - but Sunday isn’t Friday.

Also going M40 misses out the bottom section of the M6 which can be messy as well - the M42 leads pretty much straight to the toll road.

Bob its on you going 25 40 42 6 54 75 90 95 and 43
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

TEL said:

Bob its on you going 25 40 42 6 54 75 90 95 and 43
    I’m emigrating if the M40 is bad tomorrow.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Use “waze” navigation app , it’s mustard 9/10 it’ll take the quickest route , I swear by it
  • Options

bobmunro said:

redman said:

No......lol.
    I''ve driven a fair bit around Britain & if I was heading just west of Wolverhampton I wouldn't be going via Oxford, just like I wouldn't head up the M11 to go to Manchester. I may be proved wrong tomorrow, but I'll take my chances.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCpdO8nkmc8
  • Options
    Biggin Hill to Sleap for me.

90 minutes, then a cab into Shrewsbury.

M6 my arse.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

M6 my arse.

?
  • Options
    Addickted said:

M6 my arse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_b1Y-Rl_Uo
  • Options
    I'm with @bobmunro on this one, the M6 is a nightmare at the best of times and I avoid it like the plague. From the North West heading South I will use either M40 or A50 / M1. Each to their own though.
  • Options

Use “waze” navigation app , it’s mustard 9/10 it’ll take the quickest route , I swear by it

Obviously not used by our away following!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    guide to parking at STFC 2017/18:

https://www.shrewsburytown.com/siteassets/documents/tickets/wheretopark_a5.pdf

They give 6 solid parking options

Ground is a tenner
    4 if them are a fiver
    Charles Darwin is free if you eat/drink there pre game, but is longest walk at 20 mins

• Options
    Wild pig for me also known as elfsborg