Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tony Watt v Diego Poyet Etc

Threads concerning arguably our two major unfulfilled talents of recent years have recently appeared on the front page.

Two people apparently so different in terms of background yet so similar in terms of outcome.

What went wrong and what other Charlton unfulfilled talents have there been over the years?

Comments

• edited May 2018
    Both thought they were actually more talented than they were. Tony Watt has lived off one goal for Celtic and a few tricks by the corner flag.
  • No similarity between the two in any way whatsoever, other than they used to play for Charlton and they didn't progress once they left.
  • edited May 2018
    Chris Dickson. Didn't really kick on at the level we thought he could be after his amazing goalscoring record for the reserves.

Josh Wright was touted as being better than Harry Arter, yet it was Arter who hit the big time with Bournemouth whereas Wright went to Scunthorpe, Millwall, Leyton Orient, Gillingham and Southend.

I'm sure there's a few other youngsters that didn't fulfill their potential.
  • Massive assumption on my part but I’m guessing Poyet has had a rather privileged upbringing in terms of the game because of his old man. Likely that he grew up over here and didn’t want for much given the money Gus would’ve made, and was always going to land a trial and get opportunities at clubs becuase of it. Definitely showed that his talent warranted trials and when he played for us first time round he looked top draw

Watt is slightly different in terms of upbringing but for me he had more going for him in terms of potential. Think that goal against Barcelona so young maybe was actually detrimental in the long run, and I’m not sure he had the character to go to Belgium so young. KR said last season (I think) that he never sits still. I wonder if he has something similar to adhd or something along those lines.

From his interactions on Twitter I think he’s genuinely a nice guy as well, but has lost his way and hasn’t really taken responsibility for it yet.

I also think it’s part of a wider issue in football on the whole that some young players get thrust into the limelight so quickly and from such a young age, if they don’t have the right support around them, they can quite easily waste their talents when it starts to get hard. Beranhio as an example. For me, that guy is probably a bit dense, and he made a name for himself early on, but maybe hangs with the wrong people
  • Lots... Lloyd Sam, Callum Harriott, Darren Anderton, David Campbell (the defender), Yado Mambo, Kim Grant, Graham Tutt, the list is almost endless!
  • Jamie Stuart. Several England U21 caps alongside Rufus, Newts and Bowyer but didn't get close to achieving the levels of even Newts.
  • Poyet was an absolute top drawer player, could've built a team around him at the time.
  • Pedro45 said:

Lots... Lloyd Sam, Callum Harriott, Darren Anderton, David Campbell (the defender), Yado Mambo, Kim Grant, Graham Tutt, the list is almost endless!

I'm not sure any of those players were potential stars in the making who flopped, or didn't fulfil their potential.
  • Sponsored links:

• Tariq Holmes-Dennis. Was meant to be a star in the making but has gone to Huddersfield and doesn't seem to play much. Surely if he'd stayed, he would've been our regular left-back after Fox left. Money talks though....
  • I was slightly disappointed in Scott Minto's career after he left us, a different era but the Chelsea move didn't really help his career progression
  • Chizz said:

No similarity between the two in any way whatsoever, other than they used to play for Charlton and they didn't progress once they left.

Well that's two............
    Other than those two, it would be difficult to find more dissimilar people who've played for Charlton.
  • edited May 2018
    Simonsen said:

Tariq Holmes-Dennis. Was meant to be a star in the making but has gone to Huddersfield and doesn't seem to play much. Surely if he'd stayed, he would've been our regular left-back after Fox left. Money talks though....

Joined Portsmouth on loan in the summer yet got a season ending injury in their first game of the season
  • Ross said:

Chris Dickson. Didn't really kick on at the level we thought he could be after his amazing goalscoring record for the reserves.

Josh Wright was touted as being better than Harry Arter, yet it was Arter who hit the big time with Bournemouth whereas Wright went to Scunthorpe, Millwall, Leyton Orient, Gillingham and Southend.

I'm sure there's a few other youngsters that didn't fulfill their potential.

Really ? Can't remember what his "amazing" record was with the reserves but the first time I saw him I thought he looked exactly what he was ......... non league. Kick on ? he would have missed.
  • Dickson : P204 GS34 Ass9
  • Pedro45 said:

Lots... Lloyd Sam, Callum Harriott, Darren Anderton, David Campbell (the defender), Yado Mambo, Kim Grant, Graham Tutt, the list is almost endless!

Darren Anderton? When did we have him?
  • Pedro45 said:

Think he means Sharon Ambrose.
  • edited May 2018
    Izale McLeod

What?
  • Sponsored links:

• Pedro45 said:

I think Graham Tutt was an excellent keeper, until sadly being kicked in the head by Tom Finney of Sunderland
  • 1StevieG said:

Pedro45 said:

Think he means Sharon Ambrose.
    How the memory pays tricks - Darren Anderson.

We'll never know if they might have been potential stars in the making as none of them really fulfilled their potential.
  • I don't think people generally understand what it takes to excel at professional level, which often times, is being a mere fraction of a percentage point or two better than others. People simplify what is a process, into essentialist positions. "He's shite." "He's unplayable." It takes a cocktail of variables, from technique, athleticism, focus and mentality, all coming into alignment at just the right time, to make it, and then a bit more to excel. Sometimes a player that has everything that's needed can sustain that over a long period, sometimes they can, but only for a period. The trick is, taking a player who has every needed attribute (or has shown glimpses), but has a temporary issue bringing it all together at the right time (Yann at Leicester), and helping them to put it all together again. Of course, if that was an easy task, they'd be a lot of very, very good players! For Poyet and Watt, they have obvious, undeniable talents, they just can't sync them to the occasion any longer. Some players will be redeemable, some won't. Some coaches, mentors and the like will have the ability to reset a player, but most won't. Get the right mix, and you're on to a winner.
  • Both thought they were actually more talented than they were. Tony Watt has lived off one goal for Celtic and a few tricks by the corner flag.

Has he though? It's not his fault that the Charlton media team decided to create a clip for his corner flag tricks and it's not his fault that he scored a famous goal once. Charlton fans seem to have this idea that he is 'living off former glories' and 'thinking he is better than he is' but not really sure what they are basing that on.
  • edited May 2018
    Difference between unfulfilled potential and not living up to the hype.

Unfulfilled potential
    The late David Whyte.
    Chris Solly and Wiggins (for injury reasons) fit this to an extent.

Not living up to the hype
    Just about every Pardew signing, particularly Varney, McLeod and the striker from Barnsley or somewhere who’s name escapes me
  • Difference between unfulfilled potential and not living up to the hype.

Unfulfilled potential
    The late David Whyte.
    Chris Solly and Wiggins (for injury reasons) fit this to an extent.

Not living up to the hype
    Just about every Pardew signing, particularly Varney, McLeod and the striker from Barnsley or somewhere who’s name escapes me

Andy Gray - easy to forget as he didn’t exactly have the fans on their feet too often
  • Jamie Stuart must be up there. England U21 international before the slippery slope of drugs into non league.

Think he could have been a top player