Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

500ml Beer Can

To be phased out in the UK and 440ml will be the largest available. Nanny state strikes again.

Comments

• Options
    So long as the 600ml bottle is still around, all is well.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Had a couple of 660ml bottles of Peroni in our local Italian tonight.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

To be phased out in the UK and 440ml will be the largest available. Nanny state strikes again.

PC gone fucking mad. Give it 20 years and the witch burning puritans will have placed Stella on the controlled drug list. We live in dark times.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Uboat said:

Had a couple of 660ml bottles of Peroni in our local Italian tonight.
    660, not 600 - that's right. These days two of those and I'd be a bit pissed.
  • Options
    Have you got a link, Riviera? I did some Googling, but the nearest I could find was this, which is only right and proper: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-42458104

It'll be a crying shame if true. The 500ml cans are pretty good. In fact there's only two things wrong with them; they're not 568ml and they're not bottles.
  • Options
    Stock up before they get phased out
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Perhaps lagers are exempt, if the change is for 'beer cans' ;-)

That said I had a lovely lager yesterday Toscana by Birra Moretti. Full of flavour and currently available in 500ml bottles.
  • Options
    You'll be telling me next, that the party 7 is next.
  • Options

Riviera said:

PC gone fucking mad. Give it 20 years and the witch burning puritans will have placed Stella on the controlled drug list. We live in dark times.
    I'd place Stella on the banned list full stop! Simply for being a shockingly poor and really bland tasting drink that masquerades as a lager!
  • Options

Riviera said:

I'd place Stella on the banned list full stop! Simply for being a shockingly poor and really bland tasting drink that masquerades as a lager! </blockquote

Spot on. It's the Nando's of the lager world
  • Options
    To make up the shortfall I’ll drink two cans instead, a win win.
  • Options
    I sometmes buy Sapporo cans which are 650ml.
    Handy when going to Lords cricket ground where you are only allowed to take 4 cans of beer in.
  • Options
    If theyre only banning 500ml cans you'll be fine
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Handy when going to Lords cricket ground where you are only allowed to take 4 cans of beer in.

Lords , I believe is the only Test venue in the world where you can bring alcohol in to
  • Options
    Addickted said:

500ml is the standard for both cans and bottles on the continent. Are they going to ban such imports?

Getting your country back, though...

Almost 90 per cent of foreign lagers on sale in Britain are brewed, bottled and labelled in the UK.

Just saying.

https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/restaurants/worlds-lagers-brewed-in-the-uk-6310215.html

Ok but it turns out that they are talking about stuff like Fosters. That was brewed in the U.K. at the time of The Valley Party. We had to put tiny disclaimers on the TV ads. As did Castlemaine, and all the other rubbish. Decent continental beer that people mention on this thread is imported. Pilsner Urquell for example. I doubt they will do a 440ml can or bottle just for the U.K. market.
    The other odd thing is that when I get Fullers or Shepherd Neame out here, they are 500ml bottles. Are they not the same in the U.K., if so, what are they going to do about that?
  • Options

Lords , I believe is the only Test venue in the world where you can bring alcohol in to
    Correct. But its limited to 4 cans of beer or a bottle of wine/champagne. Thats why you see so many champagne bottles at Lords. My trick was to go out of the ground at Lunch (after we'd already drunk our entry quota) to the St Johns Wood Tescos, buy a bottle of Veuve Cliquot, come back into the ground, and then swap it for a cold bottle at the Veuve Cliquot tent at the Nursery end- they were quite happy to do it.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Correct. But its limited to 4 cans of beer or a bottle of wine/champagne. Thats why you see so many champagne bottles at Lords. My trick was to go out of the ground at Lunch (after we'd already drunk our entry quota) to the St Johns Wood Tescos, buy a bottle of Veuve Cliquot, come back into the ground, and then swap it for a cold bottle at the Veuve Cliquot tent at the Nursery end- they were quite happy to do it.

You absolute bounder :-)
  • Options

Riviera said:

Are you actually f***ing insane?
  • Options

Sounds like a French beer? Best left alone if you ask me. You’ll end up drinking their wine before you know it. Worse still, their fizzy white stuff. Now that has to be drunk very cold because warm you can taste it.
  • Options
    Good. However it's the 7% cider in 3 litre bottles they should be getting rid of. So many people end up with alcohol related brain damage, suicidal depression, injury and liver damage, costing the NHS millions upon millions every year, broken families, violence and antisocial behaviour almost beyond calculation. Similar actions have reduced smoking related harm. Bring it on.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Riviera said:

Are you actually f***ing insane?
    I felt my over the top response to losing 60ml from UK beer cans was clearly tongue in cheek but I've noticed that the witch burning puritan types often lack a sense of humour so I can understand your confusion.
  • Options
    Talk also of changing wine bottles from 750ml to 500 ml...
  • Options

You absolute bounder :-)
    Haha, one of my mates used to take in a bottle of pimms and a Tupperware box with all the stuff to go in it. Just used to buy lemonade in the ground.