Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kevin Dickenson

I am sure lots of people remember Kevin who was our diminutive fair haired left back during the early eighties. He was an East End boy and after leaving Charlton played some years for Orient. He left them in 1992 and I am seeking any information about him after that time. I have no details at all except that in August 2017 he rejoined Orient as one of their match day hosts. Anyone know what happened to him in between ?

Comments

• Provided one of my best moments in watching Charlton when he slung in a last minute cross in the cup game at Colchester in 84 which a defender turned into his own net. We’d been battered all game and had a player sent off, mayhem ensued and the old stand started to fall apart.

My foot went through the wooden terrace and my dad crashed into the back of a fellow Charlton fan on the way home.
  • Provided one of my best moments in watching Charlton when he slung in a last minute cross in the cup game at Colchester in 84 which a defender turned into his own net. We’d been battered all game and had a player sent off, mayhem ensued and the old stand started to fall apart.

I remember that. As I recall we never looked like scoring all game. Can you remember who got sent off?

I remember that. As I recall we never looked like scoring all game. Can you remember who got sent off?
    Shane Wesley?
  • Shane Westley got sent off shortly after we scored.
  • Shane Westley got sent off shortly after we scored.

Really? I thought it was much earlier than that, the goal was in the last minute.
  • The goal came after 79 minutes and the sending off 83 minutes. It was a long time ago !!

I was at that game - we were standing on rotten planks if I remember correctly!
  • Sponsored links:

Ex Manchester United and Scotland defender Stewart Houston

I was at that game - we were standing on rotten planks if I remember correctly!
    The continuous sense of peril was exciting in a strange way! Another thing about that game - Perry Groves was playing for them as I recall!
  • I remember him playing for Orient very late 80s/early 90s. Too young to remember him playing for Charlton.
  • I remember passing the wooden planks down to the front of the stand and jumping over the gaps when the crowd moved. Health and Safety would have closed that stand in a heart beat.

Shane Wesley?
    This is a random link, I saw Shane Westley absolutely giving it large to Barnsley fans about 20 years ago when we were playing them. Thought he was still playing for Lincoln at the time, never saw him play but he looked like he could fuck me up just by staring at me
  • Westley looked proper hard. Like, Thommo hard. Real blokes back then, none of this poncing around like Vieira and Keane used to do.

Was having a discussion about this at work the other day with the millennial snowflakes who literally have no clue what it's like to watch people like Mark Dennis and Pat Van den Hauwe
  • Westley looked proper hard. Like, Thommo hard. Real blokes back then, none of this poncing around like Vieira and Keane used to do.

Was having a discussion about this at work the other day with the millennial snowflakes who literally have no clue what it's like to watch people like Mark Dennis and Pat Van den Hauwe

Chopper Harris, Norman Hunter and Tommy Smith were the ultimate hatchet men for me - they always took the player and the ball when tackling. The Leeds team of the 70s was pretty savage.

I think they would have had Roy Keane for breakfast.

In general I think this type of character is losing his place in the world today.

Real Madrid thought their hard man and tough guy was Pepe for fucks sake!

I'm not even talking about the more aggressive and violent players, in clubs everywhere there were very strong alpha dogs

Shearer, Adams, Pearce, Ince, Batty, Lee, Webb l, Robson, Walker, Steven

Just a few of the top of my head from the England squads over the last 30 years

In general too, I've got mates who are scaffolders, one of the most alpha and old school jobs going and they are fake tanning, selfying (both types) and hair straightening not to say that they are not allowed to do any of this, it just doesn't seem very scaffoldy

I appreciate it isn't the 80s anymore but the demise of the genuine hard man has coincided with the rise of the bully, the verbal jouster, the type who would glass someone then grass someone the next week

• Lily The Pink doesn't seem very scaffoldy either but......