Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst food you ate in childhood?

Comments

• Options
    Liver
    Spam fritters
    School mashed potato served using ice cream scoops
    School custard (also had thick skin and big lumps)
    Celery sticks
    Fatty lamb
    Semolina
  • Options
    I think semolina is winning at present.....
  • Options
    Haven't seen anyone mention Brain's faggots.... absolutely minging.
  • Options
    Runner Beans. My mum told me a story that I threw them up the first time ahe gave them to me. Can’t even sniff them now. Absolutely revolting.
  • Options
    Semolina for me as well.
  • Options

Haven't seen anyone mention Brain's faggots.... absolutely minging.

Mmm, I love faggots, although calling them Brains faggots does put you off a bit.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

School dinner semolina.....circa 1957.....looked and tasted like pink frog spawn.

I think you are confusing it with tapioca.
    Possible, but MrD also thought it was semolina.....actually having thought about it, I think you may be right!
  • Options
    Liver
  • Options

Tripe. I remember my Father cooking it once. Steaming in in milk. Absolutely orrible. And dripping. My Granny used to tell me it would put a lining in my stomach. Unfortunately it also put a lining in my arteries and I’ve been paying the price ever since.

My dad was stripe fan. Used to stink the house out when he cooked it. My mum wouldn’t touch it. He had to do that himself. Even the cat wouldn’t eat it.

But stuffed hearts - the stuff of dreams when my mum made them.
  • Options
    Never heard of the jacket potato with bubble. Usually there's enough of the roast potatoes in it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tapioca, Liver. oooooh. (not together).
  • Options
    Smash (mash) once on a cub camp. Never ever again.
  • Options
    For real culinary delight try living on these for a week
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Liver. The only food that's ever made me instantly sick. Never tried it again since.

A special mention for Gherkins. Yuk

I love liver and bacon - in a minority on this one.
    I'm with you - with mash, cabbage and thick onion gravy.
    Food heaven
  • Options
    Brussels sprouts.

Beans on toast.

It would take an awful lot for me to eat this rubbish again. Bad childhood memories.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Gypsy Tart anyone.....?

*sorry wrong thread ;o)

Ricky Otto.
  • Options
    My older sister was beyond fussy as a kid and so I had to eat whatever she would, such as Weetabix and as a small child I despised it. Still can't stand the thought of it.
  • Options
    cfgs said:

My older sister was beyond fussy as a kid and so I had to eat whatever she would, such as Weetabix and as a small child I despised it. Still can't stand the thought of it.

Weetabix with hot milk.

Yummmmm
  • Options

Liver. The only food that's ever made me instantly sick. Never tried it again since.

A special mention for Gherkins. Yuk

I love liver and bacon - in a minority on this one.
    With mashed potato
  • Options

cfgs said:

Weetabix with hot milk.

Yummmmm
    Sicko
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Prunes at Earl Rise School. The dinner ladies forced us to eat them and I consequently honked.
  • Options
    Instant mashed potato and pork pie.
  • Options
    Mashed swede. I was made to sit over it for 2 hours until I ate some.
  • Options
    cornbeef fritters, and you had to eat them before you left the table.
  • Options
    Reading this thread reminded me that we used to call two of our 60-year old dinner ladies at school 'Tapioca' and 'Semolina' both spoken in a ridiculous voice. Absolutely no idea why.

Bloody hell.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Our school used to dish up a bread and butter pudding that used to make me retch, worse was that you had to leave an empty plate, I used to hope that someone on my table liked it, there were a few loonies. Even now I cannot face bread and butter pudding without heaving.

The other horror was slabs of grey meat with veiny tubes in.

However used to love the skin on custard, especially banana custard, and we also used to get pink custard, it never seemed to be liquid but more a kind of semi solid, god knows how many enumbers, artificial flavorings and colours we must have had dished up. We also got cheesy mash which had a sort of crust on it, which was lush, extra crust for me!

In my first primary they never had their own kitchen, so school dinners were delivered in huge urns, from kitchens god knows where, all I can remember is lumpy mash and greasy stews. I dont think gourmet food has ever been supplied in aluminium urns.

Also they never used to refridgerate the individual milk bottle in crates ( pre Mrs Thatcher Milk Snatcher) if you left it too late it was like warm liquid gloop, and wouldnt go up the straw.
  • Options
    Forgot the old sterilised milk in a bottle sealed with a beer bottle top. Retch at the thought of it.
  • Options
    Halix said:

Our school used to dish up a bread and butter pudding that used to make me retch, worse was that you had to leave an empty plate, I used to hope that someone on my table liked it, there were a few loonies. Even now I cannot face bread and butter pudding.

The other horror was slabs of grey meat with veiny tubes in.

However used to love the skin on custard, especially banana custard, and we also used to get pink custard, it never seemed to be liquid but more a kind of semi solid, god knows how many enumbers we must have had dished up.

Pink custard - totally forgot about that. I can taste it now, delicious.
  • Options
    Tinned spaghetti. Still can't stand it.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    How about when you could only get Cold Slaw in a can, it looked like cold sick, and smelt like cold sick. I heard some comedian say that he could guarantee getting every passenger on a plane to throw up simply by eating tinned coleslaw out of a sick bag,