Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Top 10 Charlton Players of all time

Alright guys,

This website has produced a list of the top 10 players voted by fans...pretty good list even if it is a bit biased towards the noughties. Anyway have a gander

http://d3d4football.com/charlton-athletic-top-10-players-of-all-time/

Play-offs here we come (fingers crossed emoji here)

Comments

• luke young?! he would struggle get in the top 100.
  • edited April 2018
    Too 90’s orientated. At least half of my top aren’t listed.

In fact only Mendonca, Rufus and Kinsella from that lot.
  • jrcafc said:

Alright guys,

This website has produced a list of the top 10 players voted by fans...pretty good list even if it is a bit biased towards the noughties. Anyway have a gander

http://d3d4football.com/charlton-athletic-top-10-players-of-all-time/

Play-offs here we come (fingers crossed emoji here)

A bit biased??? Not sure who voted for that lot and on what basis but football did exist before the late 1990's!

Good players? No argument. Top 10 all time? No way...
  • Football invented in '92 sort of vote it seems.

There are a lot of players I dont know when it comes to the yearly vote yet for Sam Bartram | Don Welsh | Keith Peacock | Derek Hales not to be on a list is a bit of a joke
  • Top 10 Charlton players of all time for Under 21's only.
  • These all-time lists are a waste of time. Impossible to compare players from different eras, for many many reasons.
  • Impossible to pick an all time top 10. Despite the difficulty of comparing players from different eras, how many people have seen that many, particularly the great Charlton sides of the 30s and 40s.
    The 10 listed are all heroes though, agreed on that.
  • Also really hard to compare someone who was brilliant with us in the top flight (e.g. Darren Bent) but for a short time only, with someone who was a legend over a long period, but only in the second tier (e.g. Killer or Keith Peacock)
  • Also really hard to compare someone who was brilliant with us in the top flight (e.g. Darren Bent) but for a short time only, with someone who was a legend over a long period, but only in the second tier (e.g. Killer or Keith Peacock)

I’d agree with you there, @killerandflash, although I think Keith Peacock was considerably less talented than Darren Bent. I find it hard to compare stars from my youth with latter day stars - partly, because I was young then and partly as football has changed. I remember arguing with my father regularly about whether Graham Moore or Alan Campbell was the better player. My father stubbornly claimed that Graham Moore made Campbell look good but I would have none of it. In hindsight, he had a point. Also, how do you compare John Hewie with Claus Jensen, for example?

I’d agree with you there, @killerandflash, although I think Keith Peacock was considerably less talented than Darren Bent. I find it hard to compare stars from my youth with latter day stars - partly, because I was young then and partly as football has changed. I remember arguing with my father regularly about whether Graham Moore or Alan Campbell was the better player. My father stubbornly claimed that Graham Moore made Campbell look good but I would have none of it. In hindsight, he had a point. Also, how do you compare John Hewie with Claus Jensen, for example?
    Or Joe Gomez with Les Berry
  • Sponsored links:

Very harsh on Luke Young, 7 England Caps is not to be sniffed at considering how good the options were back then.
  • Top Ten?
    Theres Killer and then another nine. No contest.

Very harsh on Luke Young, 7 England Caps is not to be sniffed at considering how good the options were back then.
    Agreed. If you're ranking players based on quality (as opposed to longevity, cull hero status etc) being a top flight player with England caps certainly must put him up there with the best RBs we've had.