Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sign the Safe Standing petition

Over 53,000 people have so signed this petition in support of safe standing. Please add your name via this link and help push the figure up to the 100,000 needed for a parliamentary debate.
https://castrust.org/

Comments

• Signed - feels like there is finally some more serious momentum in the last few years with this.
  • I have signed, but in the full knowledge that it's never going to happen.

There seems absolutely no appetite amongst politicians and from their perspective I can understand why. The upside for them is very small (this is unlikely to be a vote swaying issue for most people, even hardcore football fans), whilst the perceived downside if something goes wrong is huge.
  • edited April 2018
    I don’t know what (with safe standing) could possibly go wrong?

It’s restricted to ST holders, so you will always have the correct number of people in there and know who they are. The system has been used for yonks now in different countries (inc Celtic) without problems.

Anything that could possibly go wrong would also go wrong in a seated area, esp as most fans stand in seated areas anyway.
  • Signed. Anything that means old gits like me can sit down at an away game gets my vote!
  • Don't waste your time, will never happen.
  • I don't agree with it, so no...

Cam I ask what it is you disagree with?

Far as I can see there isn't a downside. It's considerably safer than having large numbers of people standing in a seated area.
  • I've stood in safe standing at Werder Bremen. In a big crowd it's a bit of a pain because it's very hard to move around....you can only move in or out to the sides if they are clear.

That said, I've signed the petition because I believe it's a decent compromise for those that wish to stand. I believe lessons from Hillsborough have been firmly learnt and the risk of crush these days is minimal. We have no fences now, gate controls seem to be much tighter and there is just so much more awareness of the dangers. If you can have old fashioned terraces at non-league grounds, where the controls are patently less stringent, why can't you introduce them into the Football League?

Far as I can see there isn't a downside. It's considerably safer than having large numbers of people standing in a seated area.
    Because I'm not naive enough to think, if a small area of a stadium is designated "safe seating", that it will stop people standing in seating areas...
  • I like jumping up and down from my seat when we attack or score, it’s good exercise. Obviously not a lot of exercise at charlton admittedly but good exercise nevertheless.
  • Sponsored links:

Because I'm not naive enough to think, if a small area of a stadium is designated "safe seating", that it will stop people standing in seating areas...
    Well of course it won't stop people standing in other areas. Bit if it takes a load of people who would have stood elsewhere and makes them stand in a safer environment how is that not an improvement?

It is probably true that it wouldn't stop ALL standing in seated areas but it would certainly reduce it. Leaving that aside why would you be against clubs providing a safe area for people who prefer to stand ?
  • Simonsen said:

I've stood in safe standing at Werder Bremen. In a big crowd it's a bit of a pain because it's very hard to move around....you can only move in or out to the sides if they are clear.

That said, I've signed the petition because I believe it's a decent compromise for those that wish to stand. I believe lessons from Hillsborough have been firmly learnt and the risk of crush these days is minimal. We have no fences now, gate controls seem to be much tighter and there is just so much more awareness of the dangers. If you can have old fashioned terraces at non-league grounds, where the controls are patently less stringent, why can't you introduce them into the Football League?

it that a purely standing area or the seats that get locked away when in standing mode?
  • Where would the safe standing area be at the Valley ?

If guess it would be the Covered end (North Lower). Safety committee or whoever agrees to it are unlikely to allow an upper tier area especially in the early days of it being legal. Has to be somewhere in the ground where a bit of an atmosphere can be created so that rules out east or west or family stand.

Gradient of Covered End is a bit shallower so lends itself to being a standing area. Although if rail seats were ever needed to be used it could be not ideal wirh the gradient for those of us who are vertically challenged.
  • edited April 2018

Where would the safe standing area be at the Valley ?

If guess it would be the Covered end (North Lower). Safety committee or whoever agrees to it are unlikely to allow an upper tier area especially in the early days of it being legal. Has to be somewhere in the ground where a bit of an atmosphere can be created so that rules out east or west or family stand.

Gradient of Covered End is a bit shallower so lends itself to being a standing area. Although if rail seats were ever needed to be used it could be not ideal wirh the gradient for those of us who are vertically challenged.
    Plus the the majority of the West & East Stands can't stand for more than a few minutes anyway :wink:
  • West Brom got turned down on application after Shrewsbury's success.
  • 56,200 signatures now. That is 2,800 in the last 24 hours. Great support from Charlton Life.

Anywhere near the goal when charlton are attacking...
  • Safe standing: EFL boss Shaun Harvey 'robustly' campaigning for safe standing
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43791494

bandwagon, on, jumping?
  • Sponsored links:

• Signed. Being an old'un I now prefer to be sitting down but in my younger days stood on the old East Terrace with my mates. As long as it's safe I don't see anything amiss with standing at games. I sometimes pop along to watch Bromley and always stand there. As some have said, governments don't like to be proved wrong and will dig their heels in, so I don't hold out to much hope.
  • edited April 2018

I don't agree with it, so no...

So your logic is "We can't make everybody safer, therefore we shouldn't make anybody safer"?
  • I like jumping up and down from my seat when we attack or score, it’s good exercise. Obviously not a lot of exercise at charlton admittedly but good exercise nevertheless.

Let’s hope the old duffer behind you is as nimble. Friend of mine is thinking of giving up because he misses the few exciting bits and goals because everyone jumps up.
  • Redrobo said:

I like jumping up and down from my seat when we attack or score, it’s good exercise. Obviously not a lot of exercise at charlton admittedly but good exercise nevertheless.

Let’s hope the old duffer behind you is as nimble. Friend of mine is thinking of giving up because he misses the few exciting bits and goals because everyone jumps up.
    Presume this is a wind up.
  • SIDDDOWN !,,,,,,,,,,
  • Only 180 more to reach 60,000
  • Signed

Now, is there a safe sleeping petition?
  • What took you so long ? Only 45 off 61.000 now
  • Simonsen said:

I've stood in safe standing at Werder Bremen. In a big crowd it's a bit of a pain because it's very hard to move around....you can only move in or out to the sides if they are clear.

it that a purely standing area or the seats that get locked away when in standing mode?
    They had the seats bolted upright (for use in European Cup games).
  • Nearly 73,000 now. That is 20k in the last 4 days.