Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your sporting heroes as a kid

Comments

• Options
    Boxing

The 4 Kings

Sugar" Ray Leonard,
    "Marvelous" Marvin Hagler,
    Thomas "Hit Man" Hearns,
    Roberto Duran

Football
    Stuart Pearce
    Gary Nelson
    David Whyte

Wrestling
    Ultimate warrior
    Big daddy
    Giant haystacks
    Davey boy Smith
    Legion of doom

• Options
    As a resident of the railings at the front of the east stand throughout the 70's- Colin Powell
  • Options
    Johan Cruyff
    Mordechai Shpigler
    Joe Fraser
    Bob Beamon
    Dick Fosbury
    Bjorn Borg
  • Options
    I was always Kevin Keegan playing against my Brother, unless it was a penalty then I became Peter Lorimer!
    Barry Sheene - Lived near Crawley and was always at the carnival and various fetes
    Harvey someone - Showjumping was always on telly
    Dave Boy Green
  • Options

I was always Kevin Keegan playing against my Brother, unless it was a penalty then I became Peter Lorimer!
    Barry Sheene - Lived near Crawley and was always at the carnival and various fetes
    Harvey someone - Showjumping was always on telly
    Dave Boy Green

You're thinking of Harvey Smith
  • Options
    john edrich
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    John Surtees
    Stirling Moss
    Godfrey Evans
    Stuart Leary
    Eddie Firmani
    Ken Rosewall
    Dave Charnley
  • Options
    So many.

Early Days:

Len Glover (obviously)

Jimmy Greaves

Colin Cowdrey

Alan Brown ( Kent fast bowler)

Freddie Trueman

'Deadly' Derek Underwood

Bob Hayes

Abebe Bikila

Lyn Davies

Cassius Clay (later Muhammad Ali)

Bit Later:

Alan Knott

John Snow

Brian Luckhurst

Conrad Hunte

Andy Ripley

Gerald Davies

Tony Neary

as well as Cowdrey , Underwood and Ali who were still competing.

Ask me tomorrow and it will be different
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Boxing

The 4 Kings

Sugar" Ray Leonard,
    "Marvelous" Marvin Hagler,
    Thomas "Hit Man" Hearns,
    Roberto Duran

Football
    Stuart Pearce
    Gary Nelson
    David Whyte

Wrestling
    Ultimate warrior
    Big daddy
    Giant haystacks
    Davey boy Smith
    Legion of doom

@nth london addick - which of the 4 Kings was the best in your opinion?
  • Options
    I loved Duran as a fighting man something about him has stayed with me forever

But sugar Ray for me was king of the 4 as he was everything I wanted to be with gloves on I still don’t think I Have seen a man who threw combos like him the pain from each punch he threw when it connected could be seen in every fight
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Matt Le Tiss, Macho Man and Dennis Bergkamp
  • Options
    Ricky Hatton and Jay Cutler (bodybuilder not NFL QB)
  • Options
    edited April 2018

But sugar Ray for me was king of the 4 as he was everything I wanted to be with gloves on I still don’t think I Have seen a man who threw combos like him the pain from each punch he threw when it connected could be seen in every fight

Totally agree - Sugar Ray is the best P4P I've ever seen.

I used to get Boxing News from the US back then and remember reading about this freak of a kid Hearns from Detroit knocking people over week in and week out - The Motor City Cobra!!

Hagler was a mean man and of the four the only one I ever saw live. The greatest fight of all time was the first round of Hagler/Hearns.

I never forgave Duran for punching Ken Buchanan in the bollox but I respected his ability. Shows how good Kirkland was as well.

If you're into boxing it was a great time to be alive!
  • Options
    The first one I remember as a little kid was the baseball player Frank Thomas. He seems to be a over the telly these days, and comes across as a real affable, well spoken guy.
  • Options
    The book about them and any video that people can find if they were not old enough to enjoy them is a must

Sugar Ray edged it and like you say is P4P the best I ever saw

His jab would rate as the perfect punch such power and vicious intent I watch the clips now and cant only begin to imagine what that felt like before the next three combo punches landed

Hagler/hearns great great bout rd 1 up there with ward/gatti rd 9 which I still think was the best rd of boxing I ever did see
  • Options
    As a very young girl I absolutely loved Emlyn Hughes.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

As a very young girl I absolutely loved Emlyn Hughes Pinot Noir.

:wink:

• Options
    Alf Tupper.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I used to get Boxing News from the US back then and remember reading about this freak of a kid Hearns from Detroit knocking people over week in and week out - The Motor City Cobra!!

Hagler was a mean man and of the four the only one I ever saw live. The greatest fight of all time was the first round of Hagler/Hearns.

I never forgave Duran for punching Ken Buchanan in the bollox but I respected his ability. Shows how good Kirkland was as well.

id go for Sugar Ray Leonard out of the 4 but as above what a fantastic period at that weight .I can remember Alan Minter getting totally destroyed by Marvellous Marvin as Hagler was on the way up ...

• Options
    Eddie Edwards.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    lolwray said:

bobmunro said:

id go for Sugar Ray Leonard out of the 4 but as above what a fantastic period at that weight .I can remember Alan Minter getting totally destroyed by Marvellous Marvin as Hagler was on the way up ...

That's when I saw Hagler live, I was at Wembley Arena that night - absolute carnage.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

lolwray said:

bobmunro said:

That's when I saw Hagler live, I was at Wembley Arena that night - absolute carnage.
    First fight I ever remember watching as a kid.

Loved Hagler after that.

McGuigan v Pedroza at Loftus Road was first fight I saw live.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Remember Hagler destroying Alan Minter.

Terrifying. Minter was highly regarded and Hagler made him look like a novice.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hagler+v+minter&oq=hagler+&aqs=chrome.4.0j69i57j0l4.5127j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
  • Options
    Didn’t Minter say something stupid like - no black man’s gonna beat me (or similar) in the build up ?!?
  • Options

bobmunro said:

lolwray said:

bobmunro said:

First fight I ever remember watching as a kid.

Loved Hagler after that.

McGuigan v Pedroza at Loftus Road was first fight I saw live.
    Feels like yesterday but just checked and it was 38 f*cking years ago!!!
  • Options

Didn’t Minter say something stupid like - no black man’s gonna beat me (or similar) in the build up ?!?

Yes - and the crowd that night was basically a racist mob baying for Hagler's blood (not me I hasten to add). When the fight was stopped Hagler had to be protected in the ring by a dozen or so guys covering him up. Full bottles (glass) of beer were being thrown from every side into the ring and from my position up in the Gods they were like Catherine Wheels spinning in the air.

Crazy, crazy night.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Mendonca then Johansson and finally D.Bent wasn't really sporty until I was about 14 so they did well to earn my attention.

Outside of those it was Beckham.
  • Options
    Football

Zidane - Fairly obvious why, the best midfielder of all time.

Darren Bent - I was too young to properly appreciate super Clive, but Bent was incredible

Ruud Van Nistelrooy - I have no idea why, i've always been a sucker for a tap in i guess

Cricket

Nasser Hussain - first England captain i can remember just as i started playing, now the best cricket pundit in the game.

Marcus Trescothick - I too am a left hand opening bat, loved watching him play.

Grahame Smith - Ugly batsman to watch but so much grit, his innings when he came back out with a broken hand still gives me goosebumps.
  • Options
    Stuart Leary...also a great cricketer with Kent of course and was a superb fly-half at schoolboy level back home in South Africa before coming to England to sign for us. He was tipped by many to go on and play for The Springboks someday.
    An absolute sporting genius and who could argue with that!
    Well, apart from Henry Irving that is.
    Also had a great respect for Sterling Moss...Jimmy Greaves and Cliff Morgan.
    Happy days indeed!
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Ali
    Ray Treacy
    Peter Reeves
    Ron Clarke (saw his last ever appearance at White City)
    Jean Pierre Beltoise
    Bert Harkins