Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bristol Rovers v Charlton post match views 7/4/2018

Comments

• Options

@Norman_Smith has a theory that the reason Reeves took so long to sign in the summer wasn't because he was messing us about but, knowing Robinson, he didn't want to play under Karl again.

I thought that was my theory. I definitely said it on here a while ago.
  • Options
    I wonder how many teams will go into the summer NOT looking for a 20 goals a season striker
  • Options

I wonder how many teams will go into the summer NOT looking for a 20 goals a season striker

I don't think we did last summer, I suppose it depends on how many clubs are owned by idiots.
  • Options
    If we get into the playoffs it will be a bonus for me - I'm just happy Bowyer and Jacko have restored a bit of pride.

I think the Wimbledon game will be key - they seem a bit of a bogey team for us and if we can beat them then I'll definitely see us as up for top six.
  • Options
    One of those days - Bristol were aggressive and that, the pitch and the lack of fosu running with the ball stopped us really opening them up. I'd probably start marshall instead of kai kai on tuesday but wouldn't change anything else - get mav and mag on a bit sooner in 2nd half possibly- reeves was superb and he seemed to be given the free role that fosu normally gets which maybe exposed dijksteel more than normal. Felt a bit like coming back down to earth but still think we can do this - the games against pompey and shrewsbury will tell us whether we have enough to go up.
  • Options

Because we didn't have the 20 + striker the only way we could get into the play offs was Fosu and Holmes scoring 15 -20 each and Staying fit ! (Or staying at the club)

Also keeping 20 clean sheets would have helped to cover up the lack of goals.

I'm waiting for a scallywag to say we should've played 4-2-3-1 yesterday as we did before against Rovers. (The scallywag is at Oxford now so please move on Sam)
  • Options

Mixed bag of views on here. At the game in the front row directly behind the goal net so that rather strange perspective may have swayed my perception. Also took along nephew and wife who had barely been to a match before.

Actually thought it was a pretty decent match - both teams up for it and not that many poor passes, hoof ball, despite the pitch. They had done their homework on us and gave us little time and space throughout whole match. They also had a real livewire in their goal scorer and MoM, Kyle Bennett, the lad with the top knot.

Their keeper made a couple of tremendous saves from Ajose first half and Reeves second half. We didn't look particularly sharp in the box. Zyro had a quiet game and I expected Josh to get a longer run out. So did he, I think, noticeable that he headed straight off at the end down the tunnel.

They made three much earlier subs whereas we left ours too late to make a difference. As said above, Mavididi was ineffective and changed our shape by playing very wide- would rather Marshall in that case. Robin or Powell would have been caned for such subs but we are still in Bow honeymoon land.

Overall, though, a good point and generally enjoyable afternoon.

Yes, I was looking at the bench and expecting changes to me made. Not knowing how long there was to go (the tannoy was pretty awful for the away terrace) I hadn't realised that Josh came on so late until the final whistle a couple of minutes later

I'm been slightly concerned with Bowyer's subs in the last 2 matches, with in both matches Mavididi coming on around the 65 minute mark for Ajose and being far less effective, and Josh coming on late
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First away game of the season - enjoyed it. Weird little stadium though.

Thought we played pretty well, but not great. Everything went through Reeves, who was very good - although coming inside so much meant we had little chance of going down the right.

Apart from the ridiculous mistake for the goal we defended well and they didn't have many chances. Not enough stuck with Zyro which made our only option to pass it through the middle - which we were noticibly quicker at doing than under Robbo. Thought Zyro should have done better when put through by Reeves, did well to get goal side but you have to get it on target from inside the six yard box.

Not the worst day at the office - but somewhat disappointed. As long as we win on Tuesday we'll be OK. Hopelessly optimistic now and booked Pompy tickets and trying to work out if Shrewsbury is achievable.
  • Options

People are saying we need a 20-goal Striker based on yesterdays performance but going back to the game yesterday, how many times did our Strikers get put into a good position and then waste the opportunity?

The answer is none!!

We can wish for a player like Marriott or Pitman but if they're not going to get any service, they wont score either

The only chance that fell to our Strikers was the one Ajose was forced to fashion for himself which was heading for the top corner but for an excellent save.

What we need in the summer is a proper Playmaker, that might be Billy Clarke if we get the player we had at the start of the season yet for me Erhun Oztumer is the one we need to go after!!

Zyro had that chance in the second half when put through by Reeves. There were a couple of good balls in the box from Page too.
  • Options
    Zyro was really poor didn't win anything all day and ajose just didn't get involved. Would have brought Josh on 20 mins earlier
  • Options
    Mike said:

Zyro was really poor didn't win anything all day and ajose just didn't get involved. Would have brought Josh on 20 mins earlier

Josh’s physical presence probably would have made the difference in those goal mouth tussles/scrambles, always assuming he was the one on the spot
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    JamesSeed said:

I think we should have played 4231 yesterday. It worked well last time against Bristol Rovers.

I’m concerned that the cockney git Bowfeatures is totally inflexible, and wouldn’t recognise a decent formation if it was staring him in the face.

I'm waiting for a scallywag to say we should've played 4-2-3-1 yesterday as we did before against Rovers. (The scallywag is at Oxford now so please move on Sam)
    I didn't expect the fan with the best DNA at Cafc to be a scallywag !
  • Options
    “There’s six games left now and we’ve just got to keep winning games,” Bowyer added.

From the OS report

Glad to have a reductionist in charge saying "just win games"

@JamesSeed

:smile:
  • Options
    Can I just say there's no such thing as a potential banana skin! It's either a 'banana skin' of a fixture or it isn't!!

Right, that's off my chest, move on.
  • Options
    From watching the highlights, our defending was atrocious for Bristol Rovers' first goal. I don't particularly blame Pearce for the mistake, as the ball should have been won back before Pearce needed to be involved. Bauer should have won the first ball, and failing that, Djiksteel can have no excuse for not winning his header. Disgraceful IMO. Pearce will be lumped with the blame, but Bauer and Djiksteel are just as culpable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Can I just say there's no such thing as a potential banana skin! It's either a 'banana skin' of a fixture or it isn't!!

Right, that's off my chest, move on.

A potential banana skin means, will you step on it or just miss it ! No doubt the banana skin is there just like yesterdays game where a team we had beat 5-1 4-1 and 1-0
    (with 10 men ) in our last 3 games was apt with the above description.

Right got that off my chest.
  • Options
    We were very low energy in the first half and it was almost like the poor KR team and tactics all over again.

Better second half but no question that this was 2 points dropped. BRFC were hit by injuries and had little in attack other than their goal scorer.

Reeves MOM for me, not just for the goal but for the work he did all over the pitch.

Ajose unlucky with two cracking shots that were well saved. Mavadidi a bit below his best. Same for Aribo.
    Zyro looked worn out right from the start and was not up to his recent best.

Need a minimum of four points this week.
  • Options
    Well at least we're getting to see what Robinson saw in Reeves, although it's strange that it's taken a change in manager to get the best out of him. Just goes to show what a good job Lee's doing and what a decent run in the side can do for a player.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

E-cafc said:
    Really long drop kick from their keeper led to our goal - we didn't deal with it at all, 3 players lost their headers in quick succession:
    1st was Bauer, Dijksteel and then Pearce. Watch and you'll see what I mean.

Interestingly, in our 4 attacking moves shown in the Sky highlights, the much maligned Kaikai was involved in 3 of them - including providing the assist for Reeves' goal.
    Was that the final pass to Reeves ? Probably nit picking but thought it was quite a heavy pass & Reeves did well to control it & get his shot off. Even then thought their goalie could have done better. (Not that I'm complaining :smiley: )
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

E-cafc said:
    Really long drop kick from their keeper led to our goal - we didn't deal with it at all, 3 players lost their headers in quick succession:
    1st was Bauer, Dijksteel and then Pearce. Watch and you'll see what I mean.

Interestingly, in our 4 attacking moves shown in the Sky highlights, the much maligned Kaikai was involved in 3 of them - including providing the assist for Reeves' goal.
    Was that the final pass to Reeves ? Probably nit picking but thought it was quite a heavy pass & Reeves did well to control it & get his shot off. Even then thought their goalie could have done better. (Not that I'm complaining :smiley: )
    In the 2nd half Kaikai also provided a great cross which unfortunately Zyro headed wide.
  • Options

“There’s six games left now and we’ve just got to keep winning games,” Bowyer added.

From the OS report

Glad to have a reductionist in charge saying "just win games"

@JamesSeed

:smile:

What the hell does he know, right? Just cos he got lucky for a few games, with injuries to the right players etc, and Robinson’s glorious tactics finally sinking in.

He’ll be dreaming of drawing matches soon.
  • Options

From watching the highlights, our defending was atrocious for Bristol Rovers' first goal. I don't particularly blame Pearce for the mistake, as the ball should have been won back before Pearce needed to be involved. Bauer should have won the first ball, and failing that, Djiksteel can have no excuse for not winning his header. Disgraceful IMO. Pearce will be lumped with the blame, but Bauer and Djiksteel are just as culpable.

That is a really, really weird use of the word 'disgraceful'. Take a nap.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Draw was definitely the fair result. Thought it was a performance that, while not especially poor, had more in common with the last weeks of Robinson’s reign than the first week of Bowyer’s. Bristol got lots of players behind the ball and we struggled a bit to break them down, whilst still carrying more threat than I suspect we would of have done under KR. Their pace and power up top was causing us problems when they broke and we had a few hairy moments. All that said, but for Pearce’s clanger we’d have won 0-1 and be very happy Addicks right now.

Thought we looked a bit tired and leggy on a heavy pitch, particularly the front two who did not conjure up the kind of movement that we’ve seen recently and looked generally a touch sluggish both physically and mentally. Kaikai was the best I’ve seen but still short of what, I suspect, is his best, and certainly wasn’t a complete replacement for Fosu. Aribo did not hit the heights either. Stand outs for me we’re Reeves, who looks 100% fit at last, and JFC, who I can’t believe is getting stick on here. Reeves was all over the place and really tried to get the game by the scruff of the neck, fully deserving his goal. JFC was more involved defensively than in attack, but made some excellent tackles on the edge of our box and generally used the ball well to get us moving forward again. Also took a lot of set pieces and made a decent fist of all of them - a modest achievement, maybe, but a vast improvement on a few weeks ago when Fosu took about 8 attempts to get a corner as far as the six yard box. Think some people seriously under-rate JFC.

Could, maybe should, have won so there has to be some disappointment, but it’s not a bad result in the context of our overall form. Beating Scunny and Pompey are the really key ones, and then keep up a general 2 ish points a game average in the other matches and we’ll be well inside the top 6 come the end of the season.
  • Options
    Is it okay to start slagging off Bowyer after we failed to win? I don't want to jump the gun.