Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Estate Agents

13»

Comments

• Options
    Addickted said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Anyone on here work for or can personally recommend an agent based fairly locally to Sidcup?

Have since learnt the house in Sidcup went for £985k and it was clear they were just trying to ramp up the price. Absolute crooks.

That's their job though. To get the maximum amount for their client - the one whose paying their fee.

It's not their job to break the law though is it?
  • Options
    Add a vote for David Evans - used the Plumstead branch (again, may not be geographically suitable...) but brilliant, did a great job, can't fault them at all.
  • Options
    TeslaGirl said:

Add a vote for David Evans - used the Plumstead branch (again, may not be geographically suitable...) but brilliant, did a great job, can't fault them at all.

He only works 3 days a week.
  • Options
    Save your money ( commission), sell online with emoov
  • Options
    The Raving Looney Monster partly once had in their manifesto a rather practical suggestion. Place estate agents in concrete and use them as bollards. It would certainly be a useful solution in the near future as more have to alternative employment.
  • Options
    I don't get this "decent firm/shit firm" nonsense. They are all estate agents....
  • Options
    Think the days of people trawling round local estate agents is long gone. Anyone in the market to buy will I’m sure use Rightmove / Zoopla to find properties they are interested in and contact the agent from there. A lot of their work is showing those prospective buyers around.

I’m selling my house (laughs) at present and the market is I’m told pretty depressed. Brexit is the real issue. Who in the right mind is going to commit to half a million when only a few weeks ago The Governor of The Bank of England hinted that house prices could drop by as much as a third if Brexit is worse case.

Currently on the market with Winkworths at Blackheath. Seem decent enough. The cost though is ridiculous. 1.5% in a market that has risen dramatically over the last years and they want the same % as they did twenty years ago.
  • Options

Think the days of people trawling round local estate agents is long gone. Anyone in the market to buy will I’m sure use Rightmove / Zoopla to find properties they are interested in and contact the agent from there. A lot of their work is showing those prospective buyers around.

I’m selling my house (laughs) at present and the market is I’m told pretty depressed. Brexit is the real issue. Who in the right mind is going to commit to half a million when only a few weeks ago The Governor of The Bank of England hinted that house prices could drop by as much as a third if Brexit is worse case.

Currently on the market with Winkworths at Blackheath. Seem decent enough. The cost though is ridiculous. 1.5% in a market that has risen dramatically over the last years and they want the same % as they did twenty years ago.

See my post above. Got 3 agents round a couple of weeks ago, told them 1% & Robinson-Jackson Plumstead had a buyer in 2 days at the top of my price range. They have been excellent. 100% recommend them.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

See my post above. Got 3 agents round a couple of weeks ago, told them 1% & Robinson-Jackson Plumstead had a buyer in 2 days at the top of my price range. They have been excellent. 100% recommend them.
    I'm thinking of selling & had Kings round last week (they are just down the road & sold a house just 3 doors down last week within 2 weeks of it going on sale)

Their valuation letter confirmed their fees - usually 1.5% but currently will do 1%. Not sure if I will sell at all just yet but if I do I'll def go with them.

As for the previous comment on fees.....I agree EA's are making a shed load more than they did 10 years ago due to the big price rises. No reason why they cant bring them down to 0.75% so that they make about the same now on a £500k property than they would have done even 5 years ago on a £400k property......even allowing for inflation.

Its something I do for clients. Usually charge 3% on investments & when the annual.allowance for ISA's was £15k I would be making £450. Now the allowance is £20k I mostly charge 2.5%......thus making me £500. win/win.
  • Options

You are correct re people walking up and down the high street looking in estate agents windows, very few if any do it anymore.

Rightmove/Prime Location/ Zoopla is the way to go. I would never trust an Estate Agent to walk a perspective buyer round my house and sell it, I always do this myself, nobody knows my home like I do.

Sold our last house for £800k on emoov. Signed up for the fixed fee with them of £750. They sent a photographer round who ironically worked for all the local estate agents to take some great photos, he also did the electronic floor plan.

It was on all the main internet portals within 24 hours and we sold it for the asking price in less than a fortnight.

I spoke to two agents before going with emoov and got them both down to 1% commission however that would have cost me £8k as opposed to the £750 I spent.

#nobrainer
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @eaststandmike

Did you get any high street estate agents to value for comparison purposes?

Think I'm gonna go with an online agent next time round, only potential concern is their possible lack of local knowledge.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

@eaststandmike

Think I'm gonna go with an online agent next time round, only potential concern is their possible lack of local knowledge.

I had it valued by an agent a few months before we took the step to actually sell but there is enough info out there to value yourself. Zoopla will provide you info on houses that have been bought and sold locally right down to the street you live in.

If you go with an online agent the people they send round will be local and most likely work for all the estate agents in your area as a contractor.
  • Options
    TeslaGirl said:

Covered End
    He only works 3 days a week.
    Evan does, but Mark works 5 (can't remember which day in the week he takes off in lieu of Saturday though)
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

@eaststandmike

If you do decide to sell MrLargo may the Charlton Life Gods bless us with you receiving a bid for the full value of your property from a South Eastern employee.

We can then sit back and watch you squirm as you have to be super nice to this person for the three months it normally takes for contracts to be signed and exchanged.

This could be better than your holiday story with Miss USA.
  • Options

MrLargo said:

@eaststandmike

If you do decide to sell MrLargo may the Charlton Life Gods bless us with you receiving a bid for the full value of your property from a South Eastern employee.

We can then sit back and watch you squirm as you have to be super nice to this person for the three months it normally takes for contracts to be signed and exchanged.

This could be better than your holiday story with Miss USA.
    Not gonna happen Mike. As with both of my previous property sales, I'll be asking the agent to stipulate in the particulars that anyone wishing to make an offer on the property must be able to demonstrate that they are not, and never have been, in the employment of SouthEastern Trains or Network Rail.

It's just not worth the risk. Selling your home is a stressful enough business without having to put up with some feckless halfwit trying to convince you that they can't exchange contracts yet because of a shortage of available conveyancers or leaves on the pavement outside their bank or some other tedious lie.