Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who will go up from L1 this season?

13»

Comments

• Options

It is usually the team that comes third that goes up isn't it? I ouldnt be surprised to see them go out in the first leg however after being so close to the prize

We came fourth when we won in 1998
    Millwall finished six when they won last year.

Position doesnt usually mean anything, its like that Brighton v Palace game a few years ago... Brighton should have won that Semi-Final tie yet because they didn't show up in one of the legs, they were left with too much work to do

Same with us effectively when we lost to Swindon with the Nicky Bailey penalty - We didn't show up for the Swindon tie, thankfully it was by chance that Deon Burton got a goal back and put us in with a chance at the Valley
    The Bailey penalty still haunts me....
    Will never, ever forget that game.

We were in total control, and had a great counter attack to seal the game, and Bailey needlessly lost possession on the edge of their bow, when if he had played Lloyd Sam in we would have scored.

They went up the other end, and worked a 1 v1 with their quickest striker, Charlie Austin against possibly the slowest centre half that we have ever had - Miguel Llera.

Sending off and a penalty resulted, and then came the inevitable result from the penalties, though it did mean we avoided the humiliation of losing to Millwall in the final.

Yeah was completely gutting to lose the semi final and miss another day at Wembley but to be perfectly honest Swindon did us a favour. Trying to avoid 40k spanners on day release followed by the inevitable bottle job on the pitch would've been far far worse.
  • Options
    According to the stats guy Ben Mayhew we now are heading for 5th and have an expected 44% chance of making the playoffs!

• Options

Playoffs are a completely different beast. Very hard to tell who wins out from the four teams.

Exactly, it’s a lottery. Who’d have thought we would have lost to Swindon and no one gave us a chance against Slumberland

• Options
    LenGlover said:

One of the four play-off teams will go up. Why not us?

Thank you, Curbs :smile:

• Options
    Rob said:

I didn't go but wasn't we all over them up until they scored?

I was there. It was the usual tippy tappy stuff from Robinson though. We looked good and it was early days so we thought we were good. But, we weren't and were beaten with two good goals in the second half.
    We missed 4 clear cut chances that day - missed a couple of sitters, hit the bar and their keeper pulled off a worldy.

Early in the 2nd half, Argyle nicked a goal from a corner and sat resolutely behind the ball.
    Despite all our possession and pretty football, we lacked penetration - and then got caught 1-on-1 on the counter in added time.

I think they only had 1 other chance with a quick break; a decent shot that whistled just wide.
    They played like they were the away side, defensive and determined.

It was a match we should have won comfortably - but ended up losing because we couldn't take our chances.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Blackburn & Wigan automatic.

Shrewsbury, Rotherham, Charlton & Portsmouth in the play offs.

I fancy our chances v Rotherham, but not as confident of beating the other two, but who knows ?
  • Options

Blackburn & Wigan automatic.

Shrewsbury, Rotherham, Charlton & Portsmouth in the play offs.

I fancy our chances v Rotherham, but not as confident of beating the other two, but who knows ?

Dunno... Portsmouth is a hard one to predict as we were both awful @ the Valley

Be interesting to see what its like when we play them in a few weeks
  • Options
    The L1 playoff final would be exactly 20 years and 2 days after our last play off final.
  • Options

Wigan
    Blackburn

Shrewsbury beat Portsmouth
    We do Rotherham AGAIN

We beat Shrewsbury in Final 3-1

This is all providing Lee Lee Lee Bowyer stays in charge.

Ok so we will do Shrewsbury over 2 legs
    Then beat Rotherham 3-1 in final
  • Options

Didn't help that Pompey won at home to Wigan ffs !!

Plymouth still have to play Scunny (postponed today), Peterborough & Pompey.

still think 72/73 points should secure 6th.

Lot of water under the bridge since I posted this at the start of the month but still think I'm right.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Didn't help that Pompey won at home to Wigan ffs !!

Plymouth still have to play Scunny (postponed today), Peterborough & Pompey.

still think 72/73 points should secure 6th.

Lot of water under the bridge since I posted this at the start of the month but still think I'm right.
    As long as we don't get zero points next match, I think you've nailed it.
  • Options
    It will be nice to watch a game on Tuesday from a distance knowing that 2 sets of fans will be going through hell.
    Its a public holiday here so i might watch it via IFollow with a leisurely beer maybe cheering on Scunthorpe.