Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The playoff race

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2018
    The 4 teams in the semi final as long as nothing crazy happens on Saturday have had a different route to the playoffs from a year ago,
    Expect for Scunny.

2016/2017 season
    Scunthorpe finished 3rd in League 1 with 82 points.
    Shrewsbury finished 18th in League 1 with 51 points
    Charlton finished 13th in League 1 with 60 points.
    Rotherham finished 24 in the Championship with 23 points.

• Options

The 4 teams in the semi final as long as nothing crazy happens on Saturday have had a different route to the playoffs from a year ago,
    Expect for Scunny.

2016/2017 season
    Scunthorpe finished 3rd in League 1 with 82 points.
    Shrewsbury finished 18th in League 1 with 51 points
    Charlton finished 13th in League 1 with 60 points.
    Rotherham finished 24 in the Championship with 23 points.

A bit shocking actually that we were the 3rd lowest ranked team of the 4, only 9 points above Shrewsbury!
  • Options
    edited May 2018

So if we finish 5th we play...

H on Wed 9th, A on Sat 12th

If we finish 6th we play...

H on Thur 10th, A on Sun 13th

Is that correct?

If we finish 6th, we're against Shrewsbury so
    H Thurs 10th, 7:45pm
    A Sun 13th, 5:15pm

If we finish 5th, our semi final would be against Rotherham so
    H Sat 12th, 12:30pm
    A Weds 16th, 7:45pm

We cannot face Rotherham A on 13th because of an England U17 game being played at their stadium that day.

There is still the possibility that Rotherham can finish 5th & Scunny 4th. Only
    3 points & 4 goals separate them. A 2-0 loss for Rotherham & a 3-0 win for Scunny would mean their places being reversed. Not likely, but a better chance than Plymouth overtaking us.

Even more bizarre is that Rotherham are hosting a game on the Thursday as well, so if they do finish 5th, then they can't be at home on that day, and so will have to be the sat/wed fixture.

• Options
    edited May 2018

So if we finish 5th we play...

H on Wed 9th, A on Sat 12th

If we finish 6th we play...

H on Thur 10th, A on Sun 13th

Is that correct?

If we finish 6th, we're against Shrewsbury so
    H Thurs 10th, 7:45pm
    A Sun 13th, 5:15pm

If we finish 5th, our semi final would be against Rotherham so
    H Sat 12th, 12:30pm
    A Weds 16th, 7:45pm

We cannot face Rotherham A on 13th because of an England U17 game being played at their stadium that day.

There is still the possibility that Rotherham can finish 5th & Scunny 4th. Only
    3 points & 4 goals separate them. A 2-0 loss for Rotherham & a 3-0 win for Scunny would mean their places being reversed. Not likely, but a better chance than Plymouth overtaking us.
    If Rotherham finish 5th, their home game would have to be on the 10th or the 12th.

They host an England U17 match against Switzerland on the 10th so if they did finish 5th, it would have to be on the 12th that they play at home.

Similarly, they host a tournament quarter final on the 13th.

So if they finish 4th, they'd have to play at home on the 16th.

Possible home dates for Rotherham:
    10th not possible due to England U17 v Switzerland U17
    12th (if they finish 5th)
    13th not possible due to Euro U17 quarter final
    16th (if they finish 4th)
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Either way it means Shrewsbury are guaranteed an away leg against 6th on 10/5 and a home leg on 13/5.

4th & 5th (Rotherham and one other) are guaranteed to be playing 12/5 & 16/5 but which way around is yet to be determined. If it's us in 5th (and so Rotherham 4th), it's guaranteed to be us at home on the 12th and away at Rotherham on the 16th.
  • Options

Thursday 10 May 7.45pm (League One A)
    6th vs Shrewsbury

Saturday 12 May 12.30pm (League One B )
    5th vs Rotherham

Sunday 13 May 5.15pm (League One A)
    Shrewsbury vs 6th.

Wednesday 16 May 7.45pm (League One B )
    Rotherham vs 5th.

————

This is based on Shrews finishing 3rd and Rotherham 4th. It takes into account that Rotherham have a Euro U17 game at their stadium on 13th and so must play in schedule B.

• Options
    Very complicated. I think I prefer us finishing 5th & playing Rotherham on the sat/wed fixture so we have more time to get players (Fosu) fit.
  • Options

Thursday 10 May 7.45pm (League One A)
    6th vs Shrewsbury

Saturday 12 May 12.30pm (League One B )
    5th vs Rotherham

Sunday 13 May 5.15pm (League One A)
    Shrewsbury vs 6th.

Wednesday 16 May 7.45pm (League One B )
    Rotherham vs 5th.

————

This is based on Shrews finishing 3rd and Rotherham 4th. It takes into account that Rotherham have a Euro U17 game at their stadium on 13th and so must play in schedule B.

Yes this. Except it could be Rotherham vs Scunthorpe on the 12th and Scunthorpe vs Rotherham on the 16th, if Scunthorpe were to jump them into 4th.

For our purposes though, it's spot on.
  • Options
    Does Sky televise all the playoff games?
  • Options
    Danepak said:

Does Sky televise all the playoff games?

Yes
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are the semi finals a home and away deal?
  • Options
    Anyone know if the playoffs will be on iFollow? Or will I need to find some way of getting a Sky feed?
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Anyone know if the playoffs will be on iFollow? Or will I need to find some way of getting a Sky feed?

https://www.efl.com/iFollow/international-fans/
    What games will fans outside of the UK and Republic of Ireland be able to watch live via iFollow?

More than 1,500 matches will be available in HD quality, with iFollow showing every EFL league match live unless that match has been selected, or ‘blacked out’, by the EFL’s overseas broadcast partners.

What games will fans outside of the UK and Republic of Ireland be unable to watch live via iFollow?

Games from the Carabao Cup and Sky Bet Play-Offs will not be available via iFollow.
  • Options
    Looking at the Shrewsbury message board their fans seem to be happy playing us.

Hope their players are just as complacent.
  • Options
    If they were looking here, they would be saying tge same thing!
  • Options

Are the semi finals a home and away deal?

Oh i see the unintended joke - good one ( i meant it fair dinkum!) But wait is it a two leg semi final?
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    The only reason they may be happy is we tend to play 3 games well then lose/draw 2 on the bounce. i think were safely in playoffs but we will need to up our game, apologies for being negative but we haven't been blowing teams away, that was blackburn's 2nd string Saturday and we didn't look hugely in control in my opinion, hoping we go for it against rochdale as its good for confidence.

i know it only takes 1 goal to win a game but id rather be a pessimist and be surprised :smile:

• Options
    trains for shrewsbury are currently £82.20 return without any railcard discounts. how many coaches will the club arrange?.
  • Options

95% play offs & 80% chance of getting Shrewsbury. Scunny have to lose & us to win for us to get 5th. They have a much better goal difference & a point will be enough for them.

May be better playing Shrewsbury as it will be a few days later & gives more resting time & a chance for Fosu to be fit for at least the 2nd leg.

Agreed - Maybe odds closer to 98% than 95% though:)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only a team owned by Roland could fuck this up.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

https://www.efl.com/iFollow/international-fans/
    What games will fans outside of the UK and Republic of Ireland be able to watch live via iFollow?

More than 1,500 matches will be available in HD quality, with iFollow showing every EFL league match live unless that match has been selected, or ‘blacked out’, by the EFL’s overseas broadcast partners.

What games will fans outside of the UK and Republic of Ireland be unable to watch live via iFollow?

Games from the Carabao Cup and Sky Bet Play-Offs will not be available via iFollow.
    Okay, for those in the US the Playoffs are going to be on the ESPN+ app/site. Bad news is that it's $4.99/month. Good news is that:
    1) You get a free 7-day trial
    2) That's still cheaper than one game on iFollow
    3) I imagine that quality will be at least 720p if not 1080p
    4) Saturday's game at Rochdale is on there as well (05/05)
    5) They will also have the play-off final (May 27)

They also have the rights to the Championship and League Two playoffs and finals if you're interested in that.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Thanks for that @SDAddick was trying to work out where I'd be able to catch them.
  • Options

Thanks for that @SDAddick was trying to work out where I'd be able to catch them.

Yeah no problem, I've spent far too much of my morning trying to figure it out as well.

I'm going to look into ESPN+. I'd heard ESPN were launching an extra content for a fee app but I've not tried it yet.
  • Options

Surely even we cant mess it up from here

I'm marking this down and applying a retrospective flag if(when) we cock this up!
  • Options
    Where would this game be played?

A play-off for the play-offs?

Charlton and Plymouth would have to contest a play-off match at a neutral ground to determine who finishes sixth, if the Addicks were to lose 4-0 at Rochdale and Argyle were to win 2-0 at Gillingham.

This would make the clubs’ points tallies, goal difference, goals scored and head-to-head records identical. The play-off match would most likely be contested on Monday, May 7th or Tuesday, May 8th.

• Options
    Hey Cal (et al),
    The way you access ESPN+ is by downloading the "ESPN" app then going into settings and clicking "Manage ESPN+ Subscription."

I just signed up but haven't tried watching anything on ESPN+ yet, will try later. It doesn't seem super intuitive, it feels like what it probably is which is ESPN trying to consolidate everything into one app which is like half done. I can do a write up "how to" on how to subscribe and watch stuff either later today or tomorrow. I don't think it's super complicated, I just think it's a more opaque and dumb process than it needs to be.
  • Options
    clive said:

Where would this game be played?

A play-off for the play-offs?

Charlton and Plymouth would have to contest a play-off match at a neutral ground to determine who finishes sixth, if the Addicks were to lose 4-0 at Rochdale and Argyle were to win 2-0 at Gillingham.

This would make the clubs’ points tallies, goal difference, goals scored and head-to-head records identical. The play-off match would most likely be contested on Monday, May 7th or Tuesday, May 8th.

Portsmouth.
  • Options
    I thought Southampton, Bristol City or Swindon