Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Metal Music - Any recommendations?

2»

Comments

• Options

Enter Sandman - Metallica.

Quality
  • Options
    Spinal Tap
  • Options
    Never really got into metal however my exception to this is the album Sunbather by Deafheaven which is amazing. This is the opening track, 'Dream House':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWyVhIBmdGw
  • Options
    @Briston_Addick my dying bride is a great name for a band! I’m not a metalhead, but may investigate on the name alone! PS. For the record, I’m happily married and wish no ill health to my wife haha!
  • Options

The point where it all started to go wrong for Metallica ...
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    YTS1978 said:

@Briston_Addick my dying bride is a great name for a band! I’m not a metalhead, but may investigate on the name alone! PS. For the record, I’m happily married and wish no ill health to my wife haha!

My Dying Bride isn't a band to listen to if you're after happy clappy stuff - misery, pain, and dispair is the order of the day!

The music is a mixture of tempos, some fast but mostly slower, heavy, and most of the albums have a mournful violin.

This song more or less covers most of MDB's styles across 14 minutes. It's a re-recording of a track from their first album:

https://youtu.be/3eyqTJtTDN0

Edit: it's also the track that has the band's name as one of the lines in the lyrics.
  • Options
    If you like your metal weird, extreme or completely deranged, I can help

My favourite metal albums are:

Jute Gyte - Perdurance (and Ship of Theseus)
    Neurosis - Through Silver In Blood
    Cleric - Retrocausal
    Dodheimsgard - A Umbra Omega
    Blut Aus Nord - 777 - Cosmosophy
    Oranssi Pazuzu - Varahtelija
    Ulver - Bergtatt
    Thantifaxath - Sacred White Noise
    Forgotten Spell - Epiphaneia Phosphorus (Angel, God or Insanity)
    Kayo Dot - Dowsing Anemone With Copper Tongue
    Liturgy - The Ark Work
    Corpse Garden - IAO 269
    Mastery - Valis
    Stabscotch - Uncanny Valley
    Gorguts - Obscura
    Psudoku - Deep Space Psudokument
    Darkspace - Dark Space III
    Rolo Tomassi - Time Will Die And Love Will Bury It
    Cryptopsy - None So Vile
    The Wildhearts - Fishing For Luckies
    The Ruins Of Beverast - Rain Upon The Impure
    Isis - Panopticon (this was kind of a gateway drug)
    Earth - Extra-Capsular Extraction (another gateway drug)
    Judas Iscariot - Heaven In Flames
    Nokturnal Mortum - The Voice Of Steel
    Devin Townsend - Deconstruction

...but I find most 'classic' metal kinda boring, so...pinch of salt
  • Options
    Can't go wrong with Amon Amarth.

Opeth as well
  • Options

YTS1978 said:

My Dying Bride isn't a band to listen to if you're after happy clappy stuff - misery, pain, and dispair is the order of the day!

The music is a mixture of tempos, some fast but mostly slower, heavy, and most of the albums have a mournful violin.

This song more or less covers most of MDB's styles across 14 minutes. It's a re-recording of a track from their first album:

https://youtu.be/3eyqTJtTDN0

Edit: it's also the track that has the band's name as one of the lines in the lyrics.
    Misery, pain and despair! Themes all Charlton fans can definitely relate too! Thanks @Briston_Addick I’ll have a listen.
  • Options

The point where it all started to go wrong for Metallica ...
    Ooh controversial! Some great songs on Metallica (Black album) including The Unforgiven, My Friend of Misery, Holier Than Thou etc. Of course the Load / Reload albums aren't great but still have some classics (less metal though I agree).

Still. Can't beat Welcome Home (Sanitarium) or Fade to Black from Puppets and Lightning albums. Or title track from MoP album.

Stay away from St Anger album though- definitely their lowest point.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nightwish?
  • Options
    I lean towards the hardcore side of metal and prefer it when things are a bit more avant garde. With that in mind:

Every Time I Die - There's 8 albums of genius in there but their latest might be their best
    The Dillinger Escape Plan
    Exotic Animal Petting Zoo
    Dance Gavin Dance
    Secret Band
  • Options
    Motorhead - Under Covers
    A great -singalong album.
  • Options
    Recent Metallica albums Death Magnetic and Hardwired to Self Destruct are both really good
  • Options

Recent Metallica albums Death Magnetic and Hardwired to Self Destruct are both really good

Yep agreed with that. Atlas Rise my favourite off new album.
  • Options
    bellz2002 said:

I love the title track to Hardwired and also All Nightmare Long on Death Magnetic
  • Options

bellz2002 said:

I love the title track to Hardwired and also All Nightmare Long on Death Magnetic
    In fact the first line of the chorus (Hardwired song) sums up the situation at Charlton under Roland!
  • Options
    bellz2002 said:

bellz2002 said:

In fact the first line of the chorus (Hardwired song) sums up the situation at Charlton under Roland!
    Yes, and out of luck too (given our injury list)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ACDC: all of it up to Ballbreaker
    Accept: Balls to the Wall, Fast As a Shark
    Airbourne all of it
    Benedictum
    Most of the non-Ozzy Black Sabbath but not Dehumaniser or the Glenn Hughes stuff
    Black Spiders both albums
    Black Star Riders
    Cradle of Filth's esoteric covers of all sorts of stuff, their own material can be very hard work and wildly offensive
    Diamond Head's Lightning To The Nations
    Sabbat's For Those Who Died
    Testament: Dark Roots of Earth
    W.A.S.P's Headless Children
    Iron Maiden: from Number of The Beast to Fear of The Dark
    and most obviously everything Motorhead released from Overkill in 1979 onwards

Just a dozen or so to get you started
  • Options
    Just went to a Nightwish concert, terrific.
  • Options

ACDC: all of it up to Ballbreaker
    Accept: Balls to the Wall, Fast As a Shark
    Airbourne all of it
    Benedictum
    Most of the non-Ozzy Black Sabbath but not Dehumaniser or the Glenn Hughes stuff
    Black Spiders both albums
    Black Star Riders
    Cradle of Filth's esoteric covers of all sorts of stuff, their own material can be very hard work and wildly offensive
    Diamond Head's Lightning To The Nations
    Sabbat's For Those Who Died
    Testament: Dark Roots of Earth
    W.A.S.P's Headless Children
    Iron Maiden: from Number of The Beast to Fear of The Dark
    and most obviously everything Motorhead released from Overkill in 1979 onwards

Just a dozen or so to get you started

I love AC/DC, one of the all time great bands. But metal they ain’t - for me they are pure rock with a bit of roll.

• Options
    If you're after something a bit more modern, killswitch engage are superb, and their side project ablum times of grace - hymn of a broken man, is one of the best albums I own. Some of the bullet for my valentine stuff is great, and 36 crazyfists albums are great too. A day to remember are another good band.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Incredible genre of music - so varied.

Metallica (IMO by far and away the most accomplished metal band of all time) can give you anything from all-out thrash on their early albums, to ballads and grunge. They get criticised a lot but a lot of that is down to being so good at what they do that they outgrew the 'club' nature of the genre. The new Hardwired album is absolutely brilliant. They have something for everyone.

Check out their live album 'S&M' where they collaborate with an enormous orchestra and it works so well. Many of the tracks from Load and Reload are really good and had they been released by a different band would have probably got a lot of praise.

Those who say metal "is just all noise" couldn't be more wrong. You just don't get its greatness!

• Options
    Some of the suggestions are very old-school. If you are just "trying it out" and don't want to be stuck 30 or 40 years ago :-), I'd suggest starting by listening to eg Kerrang top 20 (TV on Thursdays or radio on Saturdays), which will be a mixture of current sub-genres from hardcore to pop-punk, see which bands you like, look them up to see which sub-genres they associate with and then go from there.
  • Options
    I've had Slayer on me playlist at L'atelier de Ibborg over the last few days, as it's Easter
  • Options
    Check out "Lunatica".
  • Options

Iron Maiden - Powerslave, Number of the Beast, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, Piece of Mind

Metallica - Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning

Megadeth - Rust In Peace, Peace Sells But Who's Buying?

Black Sabbath - Heaven & Hell, Paranoid, Black Sabbath, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Master of Reality

Judas Priest - British Steel, Screaming for Vengeance, Painkiller

Kiss - Kiss, Destroyer

Anthrax - Among the Living

Slayer - Reign in Blood

I was with you until you mentioned Kiss.