Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ska Music

Any Ska music fans out there?

I'm trying to co-operative a playlist for my mates birthday. I've been told he likes Ska music but I don't know too much about Ska music so looking for advice or any tunes you like?

Comments

• Get some Toots and the Maytals in there. Monkey Man or 54-46 Was my Number maybe.
  • Anything by Less Than Jake - especially the song All My Friends Are Metalheads... I think it's called than anyway. Reel Big Fish, Monkey Man.
    I don't know much ska but punk isn't far off. Throw some classics in there... Blink 182, New Found Glory, Green Day, Offspring etc.
  • This is just madness.
  • Pearl's Cafe by The Specials. Nah, on second thoughts it's all a load of bollocks.
  • Dave and Ansil Collins are a must
  • The 2% in Belgium.
  • Love a bit of Ska.

Jump on YouTube and have a search around for some ideas. Most of the above mentions are great choices.
  • Skinhead moonstomp - symarip
    Ten commandments - Prince buster
    Madness - Prince buster
    Al Capone- Prince buster
    Guns of navarone - skatalites
    Pied piper - rita marley
    Pressure drop - toots and the maytals

Add in some Jimmy Cliff(reggae)
    The Harder they come
  • edited March 2018
  • Sponsored links:

• https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M_HPcN2ct74

Anything by The Slackers. Really underated band.
  • edited March 2018
    Suicide Machines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZBnylvJnFQ

Mighty Mighty Bosstones
  • PopIcon said:

SexyDave said:

Anything by Less Than Jake - especially the song All My Friends Are Metalheads... I think it's called than anyway. Reel Big Fish, Monkey Man.
    I don't know much ska but punk isn't far off. Throw some classics in there... Blink 182, New Found Glory, Green Day, Offspring etc.

These bands are nothing like ska music
    Some real punk though.

Rancid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P9QMkm9Eew
  • Rancid offer a more modern updated ska with tones of punk. The ones bflow are worth a listen

Time bomb
    Daly City train

Or:
    Specials - Too much, too young
    Madness - Night boat to Cairo
    The Beat - Ackee 1 2 3
    Specials - Ghost town
  • The Duallers or The Tremolites
  • Desmond Dekker:
    Israelites
    Shanty Town
  • Check out The Ska East, new album by Hong Kong ska band, the Red Stripes.
  • 1000 volts of Holt

Harder they come soundtrack
  • Sponsored links:

• Guns of Navarone
  • Club Ska '67 (album)
  • I really can’t take the likes of Madness and The Specials as authentic Ska.

Nor The Beat a band I did like.
  • They're British ska, a different thing I agree but a thing all the same.
  • The name ska comes from the sound the guitar makes with the characteristic playing on the off-beat.
  • Throw in some Judge Dread too
  • edited March 2018
    There’s a wonderful Roland Alphonso solo album on CD with some great tunes on it. RA played sax with the Skatalites. There’s also a very good Randy’s ska comp on cd. Randy’s was a studio run by the Chinn family - they worked with Bob Marley in his early days and produced some great ska, some of which has yet to come out on cd - frustratingly. The singles are massively collectable and valuable.

And of course, The Skatalites themselves were the early exponents of ska, and there are a couple of good CD comps of their stuff out there.
  • One of my all time favourite albums.
  • RedMist said:

The name ska comes from the sound the guitar makes with the characteristic playing on the off-beat.

Don’t get all technical and smart arse with me pal;)
  • I really can’t take the likes of Madness and The Specials as authentic Ska.

Nor The Beat a band I did like.

I was a big fan of all these bands as a kid - most of the cover versions they did didn't really match up to the original version. Their own material had a British slant which worked far better - definitely the roots of these bands was in ska.

Ghost Town was one of the best singles of the 80s.

The trouble with a lot of ska bands is they just do covers. Most of the best stuff dates from the 60s - ska was really replaced by reggae.

London ska festival is on over Easter.